LegacyGT.com

Solution to remove over-torqued lug nuts

a.lim

So a local tire shop decided to use an impact wrench to tighten my lug nuts and now i cant get my wheel locks off. I've already broken two keys, one myself and the other one by the shop just today. They tried taking it off by hand, but the key gave out again and the shop owner refused to touch my car. I was handed the broken key back and was told there's nothing they can do about it. Anyways, now I have two stuck keys. What is the best way to go about this? I've watched tutorials on YouTube where you hammer a socket into the outside diameter of the key and loosen it, but I honestly don't think that would exert enough grip to remove my stuck lock. Are there any local shops that specialize or have experience in removing wheel locks w/ getting into drilling? Worst comes to worst I'll have to drill, but any other techniques?

BTW I am planning on submitting a complaint to the BBB. Never done it before, but if anyone has tips, please shed some light!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's messed up that they messed you up like that. I've used kits that can take off wheel locks. Its basically a socket but cone shaped on the inside and you whack it on and it usually gets the job done. Not seen them at tool stores though, only sold to dealers/shops, although that may have changed. Also you can't use an impact gun when you use these tools, just muscle with a long handle on a ratchet wrench or crowbar.

That's messed up that they messed you up like that. I've used kits that can take off wheel locks. Its basically a socket but cone shaped on the inside and you whack it on and it usually gets the job done. Not seen them at tool stores though, only sold to dealers/shops, although that may have changed. Also you can't use an impact gun when you use these tools, just muscle with a long handle on a ratchet wrench or crowbar.

i may have to resort to this. i just dont know what shops have them. i guess ill just start calling around..

Bring it to the shop that put it on. Tell them that they put it on and if they wont fix it say.that you will take the issue to the b.a.r.

thats what i did today. i brought it in and after they broke my key they refused to touch my car. and refused to take care of the problem, which is clearly their fault. BBB or BAR, im going to pursue a complaint.

That's very messed up thing to do by the shop.

But I heard you can just hammer the lug nut with screw drive or something similar, and crack it open.

What kind of lugs are we talk about here? (or did I miss it?)

Not all wheels and locks are the same. You need to post pics.

This ^^^^^. There are different style tools you can purchase to get them off. Need to see what type of lock you have.

In the meantime, it might not be a bad idea to carry some fix-a flat. I know your TPM sensor will not like it but better to be prepared for a flat than left out on the side of the road.

Or better yet, a 12v compressor and a tire plug kit.

Take the car to a shop, have them replace all of the wheel studs. They'll get the nuts off when they go to replace the studs. Since you'll need the studs replaced anyway, this will save some hassle.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Studs are pressed into wheel bearing. Studs are replaceable, but not without wheel off. Can not disassemble bearing assembly to cut off back of studs to press forward. Would destroy bearing. Bearings have micro chips inside that report wheel speed to ABS system. Any metal or dirt that works its way into bearing can destroy chip. Seen it happen before.

Need to get lugs off or possibly give up front wheel bearings. Those are a good $120 each.

Just need to see how much lug is exposed. If enough and socket can fit without hitting wheel we can get them off. Have customers forget wheel keys all the time. Also have 600ft lb torque wrenches and air guns on hand.

So a local tire shop decided to use an impact wrench to tighten my lug nuts and now i cant get my wheel locks off. I've already broken two keys, one myself and the other one by the shop just today. They tried taking it off by hand, but the key gave out again and the shop owner refused to touch my car. I was handed the broken key back and was told there's nothing they can do about it. Anyways, now I have two stuck keys. What is the best way to go about this? I've watched tutorials on YouTube where you hammer a socket into the outside diameter of the key and loosen it, but I honestly don't think that would exert enough grip to remove my stuck lock. Are there any local shops that specialize or have experience in removing wheel locks w/ getting into drilling? Worst comes to worst I'll have to drill, but any other techniques?

BTW I am planning on submitting a complaint to the BBB. Never done it before, but if anyone has tips, please shed some light!

This happened with me before and here is the solution that me and my buddies figured out...

STEP#1 Drive to an exhaust shop or someone that has a welder.

STEP#2 Weld a nut onto the broken lug nut.

STEP#3 Unscrew the lug nut off and replace with new ones!

Upon ur success, you will owe me a beer ;)

I am sure you will get this taken care of, but a bit of advise for any one else going to a tire shop soon. Tell them to properly torque your lug nuts and an impact is not acceptable, torque stick may ass! If they tell you that they do not have torque wrenches and that an impact is ok turn around and leave. Having a stuck wheel lock isn't the worst of it. I have seen wheel studs broken off from over torquing. That means you'll a hell of a day when you wheel rolls past you.

I see over-torqued wheels all day long. I see studs cross threaded, missing htreads and destroyed from over torque. I keep a set of ARP studs on the shelf just in case. It SUCKS to change wheel studs on an LGT. Discount destroyed at least 6 of my studs last time the 5EAT went in for tires.

85ftlbs is all you need. If you see them use a gun for torque, shoot them. I dont even like to start nuts with guns. I will start them by hand, use a weak arse gun to half tighten and them torque by hand. But I usually just use the torque wrench only and never even grab a gun.

I've started lugs with an electric gun for years. Just a quick 'butta, then torque them by hand.

Torque sticks work well, but I'd just rather do it by hand.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I can get those off. Probably without ruining the wheel locks even, LOL. Just cant re-torque them without the key. But I can get those off.

Got 4 of them? $50 and off they go.

I need the front two off please! Where are you located? I'm in Chino Hills.

Bring it to the shop that put it on. Tell them that they put it on and if they wont fix it say.that you will take the issue to the b.a.r.

Thanks for the tip. I filed a case with the BAR, hopefully they can do something about it..

Post the details of the shop that did the work, hopefully it will prevent another lgt from suffering this fate
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

You absolutely have to replace those wheel studs

Post the details of the shop that did the work, hopefully it will prevent another lgt from suffering this fate

Absolutely. The shop is called La Puente Tire. DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR! Bad work, bad customer service.

Stuck wheel locks suck, even worse when it's on a car with a flat. I had a set of similar internal locks like that on a previous truck I had, only 1/4" stuck out past the lug hole. Once they were off, standard lugs went on. Theft of wheels is not bad in my area.

Solutions I have tried or would try.

1. Cold chisel and hammer - not trying to split it , but spin it off with repeated beating- Miss one good time and damaged wheel - change the wheel stud before re-assembly

2 Dremel tool to make length wise cut then chisel and hammer to split lug nut - change the wheel stud before re-assembly

3. Someone mentioned this already - weld on grade 8 nut (protect wheel of course)

4. Some shops have sets of keys or the special removers - could probably order a set for yourself from OTC or catch one of the tool trucks

5. Intentionally keep tightening, hoping the stud breaks (Note: this is not the best idea - you could smash the wheel where the lug nut seats or ruin the bearing)

Archived