LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy GT with a Cobb Downpipe

Hey everyone,

I just joined this club and I'm a new member. I have a 2006 LGT manual. I am running cobb ap stage 1 with the stock exhaust. I have a few questions that I'm hoping that you guys can help me with.

1. Has anyone heard of using just a down pipe with engine management, with no exhaust upgrades? I'm trying to see if purchasing a cobb down pipe and running the stage 2 will work. I've been told that the stock lgt exhaust is free flowing from cobb and I should have no issues. I've never heard of anyone having this set-up. Yes, the exhaust will be quieter, but will it perform almost as well as an upgraded non-stock cat-back? Thoughts?

2. Can someone confirm that there is no pre-cat in the stock up pipe on the 2006 lgt? I've heard that starting in 2006, they removed the pre-cat so that the stock up pipe flows better. So, in upgrading to just a down pipe, I won't have to worry about messing with the up pipe.

I have searched several times trying to get more info on these 2 items. Please help and thanks in advance.

• Moderators
Has anyone heard of using just a down pipe with engine management, with no exhaust upgrades?

You'd be the first, let us know how it works out ;)

I have searched several times trying to get more info on these 2 items. Please help and thanks in advance.

I definitely give you lots of credit for forming full sentences and using punctuation, but your search technique needs work. Loads of info already out there to answer your questions. Check out the stickies at the top of each subforum.

I'll throw you a bone though--cobb downpipe plus engine management (a tune) will give you great results--probably the best bang for you buck possible. You WILL want to replace your up pipe as it has a cat in it (07+ is catless). Power increase from any "cat-back" (post-downpipe) modification will not be noticeable at stage 2 levels. Stage 2 is where you'll be with an aftermarket downpipe and a tune.

I would also advise looking into reinforcing your stock TMIC or replacing it with an aftermarket unit. Increased boost and a plain-jane TMIC has been known to result in failures.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Did my COBB DP this last weekend. Pretty straight xforward for the most part. Hardest part was getting the dang O2 harness off the trans, lol.

Anyway, with a Grimm UP, COBB DP and stock exhaust you would be hard pressed to recognize a difference audibly. I can definitely hear the turbo a bit more and that is cool.

Only on the base map right is so I can't say anything about power but I hope it is a big jump from stage 1.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, Cobb catted downpipe, grimspeed uppipe and an Access Port with Cobb's Stage 2 93 Octane tune. Stock exhaust and stock intake (with a K&N filter and minus resonator).

Works just fine (put at least 50k miles on my setup) but audibly, you won't notice a difference. With the windows down and the right situation, I can hear a little turbo noise but just driving down the road, you couldn't tell it wasn't stock. I bounced around buying a Cobb catback years ago but I like having a quiet car someday (I driven plenty that aren't).

My '06 had an uppipe cat. I believe it was '07 when they replaced the cat with an air pump.

Also, are you sure on the 2007+ years for the up pipe not having a cat? This is what I haven't been able to find any info on. I have read 2006+ from a tuning site. Thx.

Couldn't you just go look at your uppipe to determine whether or not you have one? And why wouldn't you trust what someone says on a site specifically about this car against some tuning site?

does anyone have a sound clip of this set up?? you say its hard to notice?? I tried looking through the sticky and on yotube but no luck.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alabb80d3k8]Legacy GT Stock exhaust w/downpipe - YouTube[/ame]

I'm about to do this as well this weekend to my '08. Cobb catted dp, AP stage 2, but I also ordered the Cobb intake with the air box. Is an aftermarket intake NOT recommended on this stage 2 setup? Don't hear much about intakes other than Hybridandy's K&N filter...

Archived