LegacyGT.com

Help w/ tach & gas guage

I have a 1990 legacy wagon, and the tachometer/gas gauge don't work-most of the time. They seem to start working randomly, sometimes working when I first start the car then quiting after a few minutes, or starting after I've been driving for a while, and working until I turn the car off. Help please.

• 2 months later...
I don't know if anyone helped you with this, but I am having the same exact problem! My gas gauge works till about half tank, then just dives off, and my tach never works, but kicks on every once in a blue moon. Cruise control isn't working either =(
"Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting." -Steve McQueen in Le Mans

Just a suggestion, my guage was working sporadically too. but i recently took out my sending unit and fuel pump too see if the pump worked (it does) and noticed that the float that operates the fuel guage had a pinhole in it right in the middle between top and bottom on the float. threw on some SEAL ALL (gas & oil resistant) (yellow tube), now guage works o.k other than the added weight throwing it off a little. dont know how the hole got there cuz pump had never been removed before. Use this as last resort. I woulkdnt suggest tearing out your pump and SU before exhausting all other efforts to figure it out. Or the float itself may just be getting stuck? Not sure about the cruise control and RPM though!!

Archived