LegacyGT.com

19mm rear sway bar install

Guest rayms69

Guest rayms69
I try to be a man every chance i get, thanks, really surprised is was that bad. Both fronts pointed out, right rear pointed in.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Car handles corners MUCH better with the 19mm bar.

For the $$, it's a great upgrade. Just make sure you install the top bolts first, install them by hand and only finger tighten until all 4 are installed. ;)

thanks for the feedback. I recall reading that earlier about stripping them etc.

Aren't there 6 bolts total? Two [12mm] on each bushing and 1 14mm on each endlink?

when you say the top bolts do you mean the 14mm endlinks or the 12mm top bushing bolts?

Guest rayms69
You should torque everything to spec in unison. That's what I do, I loosened the end links at the lower control arm , at least that's how I did it. Or should I say, a habit of mine. Our suspensions take a lot of abuse, it needs to be done by the procedure, don't do it unless u no what ur doing. Just saying, b careful what u r doing. Edited by rayms69

thanks for the feedback. I recall reading that earlier about stripping them etc.

Aren't there 6 bolts total? Two [12mm] on each bushing and 1 14mm on each endlink?

when you say the top bolts do you mean the 14mm endlinks or the 12mm top bushing bolts?

As stated, the bracket bolts is what I was referring to.

I would recommend installing the endlinks last. They will put pressure on the bushing bolts if you do them first. Wait until the bar is completely bolted up by it's brackets and then do the end links.

Also, you will need a hex wrench to fit inside the endlink so it doesn't spin when you remove/replace the nut.;)

Also, you will need a hex wrench to fit inside the endlink so it doesn't spin when you remove/replace the nut.;)

Was this tongue in cheek? The end links didn't seem to have anything in the other side. Not that I could tell. Tighter tught up no problem.

Bar is installed. Loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was this tongue in cheek? The end links didn't seem to have anything in the other side. Not that I could tell. Tighter tught up no problem.

Bar is installed. Loving it.

No, the endlinks have a hex provision in the end of the bolt head on the nut side. This is typical for endlinks and tierod ends. It'seither a male or a female hex provision. This allows you to loosen up and tighten the tierod without the ball spinning in its socket.

If you have pressure on it, then it probably won't spin but that could mean it won't get tightened enough. Not always, but sometimes.

On all 3 swaybar installs, at least one of the endlink rods spun in its socket and I had to use the hex key.

Thanks! I'll re check them. I did take note of the amount of the thread showing before and after the install. Looks about the same which I assume is a good sign, they appear to be as tight as before.

I ordered the 20mm XV bar back in May and it's on national backorder, debating canceling it and just going with the 19mm.

I ordered and received a 20mm in about a week recently, where'd you order yours?

I ordered the 20mm XV bar back in May and it's on national backorder, debating canceling it and just going with the 19mm.

I was just at my dealer in shrewsbury. He offered to match subaruolineparts.com and said he could get me the 19 or 20 in 1 day. I live in ma

Thanks! I'll re check them. I did take note of the amount of the thread showing before and after the install. Looks about the same which I assume is a good sign, they appear to be as tight as before.

That is the most sure way to be certain something is tight. :rolleyes:

I was just at my dealer in shrewsbury. He offered to match subaruolineparts.com and said he could get me the 19 or 20 in 1 day. I live in ma

Interesting, I've bought most my cars through Patrick, I wonder if SNE has their own warehouse of parts.

How long ago was that?

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

The reason Subi Online Parts have the 20mm on BO is because of the following which is what the guy told me over the phone:

1. SOP is an authorized Subi parts house but Subaru only allows them to purchase so many of certain parts before they get "shutdown" and have to wait for the part to be released

2. He stated that they "get into trouble" with Subaru America for selling a lot of these parts below what they should so this is Subi's way of punishing them

3. You can go and get the part any any dealer...mine said he could have it next day but was an @$$ and wanted over $130 so I said forget it. they are NOT on a national backorder...if you really want one you can get it in a matter of a day or two.

Yep. ^^. What he said.

I bought mine Wednesday. Could have bought either 19 or 20 and Guy at parts was willing to price match the website. Bought for like 104$ total.

Humm, I guess the only issue I have now is to get SOP to refund the money they've already charged to my CC

Oh make sure you bring your phone to show them the part. They could not figure out what I was talking about and had never heard of people swapping out the rsb for a Subaru branded 19mm rsb accessory. Not exactly comforting. They call it a stabilizer bar. And don't forget to ask for the bushings as the parts guys see them as two different parts.

gibjer...unless you're #1 on the wait list and it "just came in on Friday", then you should have no issues getting a full refund. If you do, just call your CC company and they'll take care of it for you without a hassle.

Guest rayms69
I will really find out tonight and tomorrow am, how the alignment feels, got a 110 mile trek through mad max territory.

• 2 weeks later...
Yup, ordered from my local dealer, had it in two days, picked up, no shipping (and cheaper since no shipping).

Need to lock myself in the garage one day this weekend to do the rear bar on mine and brakes on the Outback.

Shipping vs tax(6% in MA?). It's a wash depending how much you paid.

Our Vendor sells the 19mm Swaybar kits for $98

and they offer $4.95 shipping if order is over $99, so throw in some Subaru floor mat style coasters for $5 and you'll actually save. Otherwise shipping is $13.20

Total for above: $108.60 shipped;)

Regardless. It's always good to support your local community whenever possible!