LegacyGT.com

Urgent opinion needed on NJ price quote

mr_abc

I need to know whether to go about this deal or not. I live in New Jersey and I was quoted $29512 OTD (includes TTL) for an 06 LGT 5 speed manual Sedan with an MSRP of $29440. FYI the OTD price does include the $1000 cash rebate. Your responses will be greatly appreciated.:)

Carsdirect.com price is 26,700 on the base manual GT Ltd (MSRP 29400). Depends on sales tax in NJ, but assuming 300 in fees plus 7% tax (here in GA) you'd get 28900.

I'd go for about 26,700-27000 OTD, not including sales tax, and feel pretty good about it.

that seems high. if you go to town motors in englewood, nj you could probably knock a grand off that price. talk to derrick, he's a great salesman.

I'll definitely check out Town Motors. Do you happen to know what days Derrick is in?

Carsdirect.com price is 26,700 on the base manual GT Ltd (MSRP 29400). Depends on sales tax in NJ, but assuming 300 in fees plus 7% tax (here in GA) you'd get 28900.

I'd go for about 26,700-27000 OTD, not including sales tax, and feel pretty good about it.

Did you mean 26,700- 27000 with or without the $1000 cash rebate?

is it a base GT and not limited, nor automatic? If so, it does seem a bit high. People in other parts of the country may not realize how much tax we actually pay over here. :lol: So before taxes, you are looking at around 27K or so, right?

That being said, I got mine a Towm Motors and they gave me a great price.

It's a 2.5 GT Limited Sedan 5 speed manual, I thought for 06 thats the only way they came, but I'm going by the website as well and it's a 2.5 GT Limited. As far as before taxes go, it was 28250 to begin with and the $1000 cash rebate was deducted after tax was put into the total. If you don't mind me asking, how much were you able to get yours for and who was the salesman you dealt with??

The Consumer Reports Car buying website gives a dealer bottom line price of 25268 on the Legacy GT Limited with manual. That's invoice less the $1000 rebate and an $864 dealer holdback. Check on Edmunds.com for a better idea of what the price should be, configured as you want it. THe price they quoted you sounds high (on my car, which has Navigation and automatic, I was at around 29000 before tax & tags the Washington Metro Area).

I need to know whether to go about this deal or not. I live in New Jersey and I was quoted $29512 OTD (includes TTL) for an 06 LGT 5 speed manual Sedan with an MSRP of $29440. FYI the OTD price does include the $1000 cash rebate. Your responses will be greatly appreciated.:)

Becker Subaru

Allentown, PA

$27,200

06 GT black/black auto no spoiler small extras like extended armrest, mud flaps, lock wheels, chrome rocker trim etc.

Sales team was Ken Irvine(sp?) and Bob Pavone

Thanks to this site I found them when doing general research on the car and where to buy them. Was $800.00 cheaper than next quote.

Very impressed with car

Based upon carsdirect, which I have always heard quotes a very competitive price (but one you can beat by a few hundred bucks with tough negotiating), the price is 26,700 including rebate.

So to me, if you can get 26,500 plus 200 in garbage fees for 26,700 total, that would be a deal I'd personally be happy with. Sales tax, of course, would be on top of that but it's hard to quote since it varies from state to state.

For comparison, I got a brand new '05 Ltd with under 50 miles on it about a week ago for 23,500 plus 200 in garbage fees = 23,700 OTD. When I register it here is GA, I'll have to pay sales tax. There are a few more '05s available...you may want to consider that option.

Good luck

Doesn't seem like a write-home-to-mom deal to me. Last night I bought a leftover black 2005 GT Limited 5MT for $22,200 with an OTD price of $24,030 (includes TTL). The guys down here (Fort Walton Beach FL) have another identical car on the lot (with a couple hundred miles on it) if you want it. After the plane ticket, you'd save about $5K. Something to think about....

Keep shopping.....The best price I was able to get was not even in my state! It was halfway across the U.S. ....if the best price is what you are looking for keep all options open. I saved about 2300 over the BEST price I could get in my own state & that includes the 450 shipping fee:)

I paid additional to have it shipped in a closed carrier.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Nice price cptaemphd. Funny, I was asking, begging, pleading those guys down in Fort Walton to sell me one of their leftover '05 GT ltds. Must've sent 10 emails over 2 weeks - all I wanted was a firm price and I would have been on an airplane the next day. They had an advertised price of 22,488 and I was willing to pay MORE if need be. But all I got was "fly on down" and "we'll can PROBABLY get you the advertised price." Felt like a setup to me to come down with no transportation and no way home without a price in hand.

The dealership I ended up buying my (1 week old) '05 GT ltd, Beyer Subaru in VA, was all class. They gave me a firm price OTD and that was that. When I arrived, the car was perfect and as advertised (<50 miles on it).

Based on my experience, I would NOT recommend those guys in FL. But like I said, you got a great price there, so you never know. Funny they sold a car for 22,200 that they could have gotten 23,000+ for, but, hey, I can't control how they do their business.

Nice price cptaemphd. Funny, I was asking, begging, pleading those guys down in Fort Walton to sell me one of their leftover '05 GT ltds. Must've sent 10 emails over 2 weeks - all I wanted was a firm price and I would have been on an airplane the next day. They had an advertised price of 22,488 and I was willing to pay MORE if need be. But all I got was "fly on down" and "we'll can PROBABLY get you the advertised price." Felt like a setup to me to come down with no transportation and no way home without a price in hand.

The dealership I ended up buying my (1 week old) '05 GT ltd, Beyer Subaru in VA, was all class. They gave me a firm price OTD and that was that. When I arrived, the car was perfect and as advertised (<50 miles on it).

Based on my experience, I would NOT recommend those guys in FL. But like I said, you got a great price there, so you never know. Funny they sold a car for 22,200 that they could have gotten 23,000+ for, but, hey, I can't control how they do their business.

Sorry to hear that it didn't go so well for you with the guys here in FL, but I'm glad you got a deal you're happy with.

I think a big deciding factor in my case was that I'm 5 miles away and could spend time with them. I test drove both cars they had and did some phone tag over a matter of a week to discuss details (I was thinking about having tint and other toys done prior to the purchase, but in the end didn't). The fact that I paid cash might have had an effect. And the fact that I wasn't in a hurry to buy. Turns out this was the most painless new vehicle purchase I've made in terms of negotiating the final price -- I gave them an OTD price, they countered, I wrote a check.

My experience was the opposite of yours: I tried the internet route for a few cars and found what I thought were crummy deals (price is the most important factor to me). I didn't expect that. Turns our my best deal was made the old fashioned way.

But who cares about the deals now -- we have FANTASTIC cars!!!

Salerno Duane

I see your problem right there. A bunch of honest upstanding folks for sure. Salt of the earth... if you're a slug. Maybe their subaru showroom is better, but I wouldn't count on it.

Unfortunately NJ is one of those states where you calculate tax before rebates, which is lame. You might want to hop on over the border. I also suggest making contact before hand with the internet rep of any dealer you deal with. I've just found them to be less hassle, especially in a high pressure dealership.

But frankly if they can't even match the carsdirect price, give them a try. It is early in the year, so that might explain why it's not so hot a deal. $28000 out the door would be a pretty solid deal in NJ. That's invoice - incentive - about 45% of dealer holdback.

I suspect from your price they are claiming tax due is based on MSRP or something stupid like that. It's based on negotiated price before incentives.

If you hop across the border, might be able to do 27750 out the door. Technically you could do better by about another $400, but not until someone's chasing a sales number for some sort of dealer perk or sales prize, which is uncommon this early in the year.

Sorry to hear that it didn't go so well for you with the guys here in FL, but I'm glad you got a deal you're happy with.

I think a big deciding factor in my case was that I'm 5 miles away and could spend time with them. I test drove both cars they had and did some phone tag over a matter of a week to discuss details (I was thinking about having tint and other toys done prior to the purchase, but in the end didn't). The fact that I paid cash might have had an effect. And the fact that I wasn't in a hurry to buy. Turns out this was the most painless new vehicle purchase I've made in terms of negotiating the final price -- I gave them an OTD price, they countered, I wrote a check.

My experience was the opposite of yours: I tried the internet route for a few cars and found what I thought were crummy deals (price is the most important factor to me). I didn't expect that. Turns our my best deal was made the old fashioned way.

But who cares about the deals now -- we have FANTASTIC cars!!!

Yeah, you got that right. Shouldn't let my frustration show. It is strange, though, because I too was paying cash and, like I said, spent about two weeks trying to get somewhere with them and couldn't even get a price, even a too-high price. Maybe they do just like doing business the old fashioned way...in person. For me, the only local option was white, and I just couldn't do that. So to the internet route it was.

Anyway, water under the bridge. I'll take 6K under MSRP for a car decked out just like I wanted, in the color I wanted, with 45 miles on it. But 7K under?? I need to go to the cptaemphd school of negotiating!

Enjoy the car. Any thoughts of mods, or are you planning to stay stock?

Yeah, you got that right. Shouldn't let my frustration show. It is strange, though, because I too was paying cash and, like I said, spent about two weeks trying to get somewhere with them and couldn't even get a price, even a too-high price. Maybe they do just like doing business the old fashioned way...in person. For me, the only local option was white, and I just couldn't do that. So to the internet route it was.

Anyway, water under the bridge. I'll take 6K under MSRP for a car decked out just like I wanted, in the color I wanted, with 45 miles on it. But 7K under?? I need to go to the cptaemphd school of negotiating!

Enjoy the car. Any thoughts of mods, or are you planning to stay stock?

I'm going to add a few mods: subwoofer, tint, armrest extension, mudflaps, and a short shifter/bushings. Oh, and also the aux input mod. I'll wait a while before adding performance bits -- I'm quite content with the stock power rush. This really is an incredible car, the more I drive it the more I like it! And the black is really elegant (when it's clean :icon_bigg).

Archived