LegacyGT.com

"stage 2" VF40 to VF52, stock fuel.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^LOL

I think you're being overly conservative. As long as the injectors are supported with enough pump, they're quite happy even at 96 or 97%. The problems come when the pump cannot maintain a full 3bar above manifold pressure or when you tune to such an IDC in air that isn't the coldest / densest day of the year.

Yeah, I'm being conservative. I'm not going to tell my tuner how to tune, but I will emphasize that I want a clean, safe tune even if it means lower boost than the max possible.

Plus, given the age of the car I want to take it easy. My compression and leakdown numbers were fantastic according to my mechanic, but I still don't want to push it. This is my DD, not a project, so I can't afford engine pull downtime.

Edited by BigTDogg (MA)

Would you not run a stage 2 '09~ WRX to 140,000m?
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

If you are picking up a used VF52, it might be beneficial to have the wastegate ported. And the hot side ceramic coated.

It is a great option (without going EWG) to give you a bit more piece of mind against boost creep. Eric did a good tune, and was happy with how my PnPed VF52 reacted to his adjustments.

Oh bollox. Live dangerously. Mix sand into your oil and change it every 20k. Throw away your air filter and delete the TGVs via stoning.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I love my 52. I'm still on stock injectors......although that will be my last upgrade later on down the road. I do however have a DW65 fp. I originally had an '08 STI pump and decided to upgrade when it went on me. Injectors and my stock BCS was what was holding me back on my tune :( After my engine build I did not have enough money to do everything else I planned so I am fine where it is (for now).

I love my 52. I'm still on stock injectors......although that will be my last upgrade later on down the road. I do however have a DW65 fp. I originally had an '08 STI pump and decided to upgrade when it went on me. Injectors and my stock BCS was what was holding me back on my tune :( After my engine build I did not have enough money to do everything else I planned so I am fine where it is (for now).

Injectors? Holding back the VF52? On pump gas? Who is tuning it....

Holding me back from "my" numbers. I am a number person....I don't care how it feels :lol: I made 280/325.....I want 3xx/3xx then I'll be happy. I don't care if it is 305hp.....it's over 3.....gay I know....just me.

Hill at Agile Auto tuned my car.

A 52 can run fine without supporting mods....but to maximize the potential of the turbo yes, you need fuel system upgrades.

Edited by SubieChik

But you're well over 3XX in the BHP department. Run meth and see your numbers climb :)

I don't care about numbers, as long as it's good safe tune. Only numbers I would be concerned about would be 0-60 and 60-0. Everything else for my application is meaningless.

Holding me back from "my" numbers. I am a number person....I don't care how it feels :lol: I made 280/325.....I want 3xx/3xx then I'll be happy. I don't care if it is 305hp.....it's over 3.....gay I know....just me.

Hill at Agile Auto tuned my car.

A 52 can run fine without supporting mods....but to maximize the potential of the turbo yes, you need fuel system upgrades.

Go get on a different dyno and you'll be at 335/375. Yes I'm serious. Yes it does make that big of a difference.

I just thought I'd join the conversation. Looks like I'll be picking up a <5K vf52 off a '13 very soon. Add a dw65 and a GS ebcs and I'm ready for a tune!

Edited by 12sechatch

• 8 years later...

ok, i am looking for the short answer here. i need to replace my turbo.

i have a fully stock 2005 subaru legacy 2.5gt. i would like a bigger/better one than the stock 40.

Which turbo should i get that i can install and safely run with the car just the way it is?

40, 46, or 52??

If you aren't changing the tune, stick with the 40.

If I remember right, you could run a 46 (very similar), but it may not be noticeable.

If you go 52, you need a tune to match it.

And this thread is almost nine years old, might work out better to start your own.

Anything other than what you have will require , at a minimum, a tune. Going with the V52 you should do a downpipe and head to stage 2. Stock fueling can be achieved but will limit you at that point. Start with talking to a tuner and your significant other about your budget.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ok, i am looking for the short answer here. i need to replace my turbo.

i have a fully stock 2005 subaru legacy 2.5gt. i would like a bigger/better one than the stock 40.

Which turbo should i get that i can install and safely run with the car just the way it is?

40, 46, or 52??

The VF40 and VF46 should both work without a tune.

Word of wisdom: on this car, doing just about anything requires a tune. Your last question in the other thread seemed frustrated because you wanted to know how much you can turn the boost up on the turbo without modifying anything else. Turning the boost up will obviously require a tune (how else are you going to make it boost higher?. Changing out turbos will require a tune. Turning the stock turbo's boost up with a stock downpipe will blow the catalyst out of the exhaust. A stage 1 tune on these cars from a Cobb AP will do some timing adjustments to make the car nicer to drive, but you won't have the safety threshold to run regular gas in a pinch like you would on a stock car.

Edited by Pleides

Pretty much what ^ said above. The 40/46 are essentially identical and can be swapped in without tuning but you won’t see any gains. You’ll need to go with aftermarket tuning (i.e.- Cobb Accessport) if you want to bump power beyond stock. Def need tuning for a bump to a VF52

Knowing what I know now I never would have replaced my turbo, my only concern was it being a 177k car, during the disassembly I discovered my turbo is in great shape and has probably been replaced.

When you look at Dyno numbers for stock turbo vs a vf52 with stock fueling I don't see the justification

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Knowing what I know now I never would have replaced my turbo, my only concern was it being a 177k car, during the disassembly I discovered my turbo is in great shape and has probably been replaced.

When you look at Dyno numbers for stock turbo vs a vf52 with stock fueling I don't see the justification

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

For sure, with stock fueling that difference is not that huge, more than anything it moves your powerband to the right and makes it a bit more broad. Once you add a pump and injectors you start seeing real (safe) gains

If I were on 100% stock fueling I would stick with a VF46. Just my opinion. You do notice the drop in low-end torque at 2000 RPMish with the VF52 and I'm out of injector at 295 WHP, 15 WHP more than I made with the VF46.