LegacyGT.com

Towing AWD

I need to tow my 98 AWD about 300 miles.

Could I use the two wheel dolly or do I need to use a flatbed.

Manual does say to place in neutral and leave igniton in ACC but I want to make sure this is safe and will not casuse any problems.

Thanks,

awd 5 speed = either all four wheels off the ground or all four wheels on the ground with trans in neutral.

auto trans = all four wheels off the ground.

or either one can be towed on a dolly, front up and rear down, if you remove the rear section of the drive shaft so the rear wheels are disconnected.

i don't know about leaving the key in ACC. i have never heard this and do not know what it would do.

what is wrong with the car, engine or trans?

auto trans or manual trans?

Simply put a flat bed will guarantee the car doesnt get damaged.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Thanks everybody for the replies, if I go with a dolly and disconnect the rear driveshaft is this a big deal.

Reason I ask is that I left the car at my brothers and if I drive back to his place I want to make sure I can do this and what tools I should bring.

Car overheated on the highway and I had no indication this was happening, my right hand was covering the engine temperature light. It was'nt until the car started to get cold and then noticed. By the time I pulled ther car over it blew the head gasket and nothing but white smoke and the smell of antifreeze.

Kicker is that i just bought the car, a GT Limited 2.5L and the previous owner thought he would get a buddy to change timing belt, water pump and thermostat before I bought it. I am wondering if the install was wrong, thermostat wrong way???

I am contemplating just selling as is and not go through the towing hassle but the car is in great shape, all options, leather interior.

I have no problem to swap an engine or even do the gaskets but is it worth it??

Thanks,

If the car is in good condition and you can do the work yourself then it is totally worth it. If you have basic tools and a few special tools you can do the job in a weekend. I would send the heads to a machine shop and have them check the deck for trueness and have the heat hot tanked and checked out.

Where do you live? Some people around here might lend a hand or have connections they may share.

• I Donated

I would say its worth to fix.

The OEM gaskets on these cars are known to be problematic. EVERY car blows them...but the design of them has been revised, so usually once you replace them they are good for the life of the car.

Its not an overly difficult job to do if you're mechanically inclined. I can do head gaskets on these cars in a work day, and thats taking my sweet time. You will spend in the neighborhood of $400 if you buy all the recommended parts

-timing component kit

-timing belt

-water pump

-multi layer steel head gaskets

-head gasket set

Its either 12mm, 13mm, or 14mm that disconnects the driveshaft. I forget what sizes they are. But you should be able to do it with a basic set of sockets and wrenches. You will be fine disconnecting the rear drive shaft and using a tow dolly (with the front wheels on the dolly).

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived