LegacyGT.com

Extremely sad day for my Spec. B

On my way to work today and the engine took a crap. :mad: 64000 miles. I've only put about 8000 miles on it myself. I never beat the crap out of it, I've only had it above 6K rpm a couple of times.

I was cruising on sr23N doing 72 miles an hour and it let go. :spin: The timing belt looks to be in like new condition. My only assumption is that a connecting rod threw in the towel.

This car was my daily driver, now I have to waste upgrade money to buy a beater so I can get back and forth to work.:mad:

Any website suggestions to buy good internals from will be welcome.

Someone cheer me up, I'm very sad :icon_cry:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not going to break a rod without some serious oil starvation issues. You should always have rod/main bearings fail before a rod goes.

I'm in to see what the cause of failure is.

Do you have maintenance history of the car? What about extended warranty?

lol

No history, No warranty. I have been contemplating a warranty purchase, too late now.

Oil has always been maintained while in my possession. I have no idea what the previous owner did though.

Things inside are hitting other things inside. It sounds violent.

I had a flatbed drop it in my garage. Started it for a second to get friends thoughts and immediately shut it off. It may be a slow process but I will take as many pics along the way as I can.

IMO, if it is the DD, I would just get a new shortblock. No sense in risking another failure not knowing the condition of the cyl. walls. Aftermarket internals won't hold up any better than stock internals if there's damage to the block.
lol

No history, No warranty. I have been contemplating a warranty purchase, too late now.

Oil has always been maintained while in my possession. I have no idea what the previous owner did though.

Things inside are hitting other things inside. It sounds violent.

I had a flatbed drop it in my garage. Started it for a second to get friends thoughts and immediately shut it off. It may be a slow process but I will take as many pics along the way as I can.

I don't know what a ringland failure sounds like, but what you describe is tell tale of a bearing failure.

If you want to see a rod failure, just rev it up a few times! (j/k) Sorry and good luck with it.

lol

IMO, if it is the DD, I would just get a new shortblock. No sense in risking another failure not knowing the condition of the cyl. walls. Aftermarket internals won't hold up any better than stock internals if there's damage to the block.

I agree totally on the new short block. Those damn things are expensive and I'm broke. It will be a while...........

No thanks on the revving, enough of that happened at 72mph on the highway.

Why are these cars blowing engines so much. I've never heard of a car that blows engines like the Legacy.

This is going to be the same debate as the turbo failure one. No one posts up to say, "my engine is running great at XX,XXX miles." All you read about is the failures, which would happen on any car.

With that said, the ringlands on these engines are known to blow, but its usually following modifications and such. Not that its unheard of to have ringland failure in stock conditions, it just tends to happen when the engine and components have been modded.

It's cool; I'm with the band

OP bought the car used apparently. He put 8k miles on it.

Put 2 & 2 together. The car was abused and not maintained before he bought it.

This is my thought exactly.

Haven't worked on the car yet, been busy trying to find some wheels to get to work and back. I did inspect the timing belt and it looks like new. I think the car was in an accident. It shows lots of signs. At 64K miles the turbo looks new also. Too bad they didn't replace the engine while they were at it. Then again maybe they did and it simply wasn't taken care of. I hate stupid people.

I had a bearing fail in my vehicle over the summer. There's a thread started by me looking to help get diagnosis on it... its got a video. After teardown it was the culprit and it made one helluva nasty noise while idling and an even sicker noise while rev'd.

I had a bearing fail in my vehicle over the summer. There's a thread started by me looking to help get diagnosis on it... its got a video. After teardown it was the culprit and it made one helluva nasty noise while idling and an even sicker noise while rev'd.

I think the sound in your vid is the same as mine. Reguardless, the enginet has to come out.

Owner before you didn't take care of her if u ask me. Just wondering, do u have any mods? Either way, sorry to hear man. But it gives you a reason to build her =)

At stage two with a COBB ots tune. I would love to do a real build but I may not have the funds. If I can find a cheap reliable driver I may go ahead and build it up. Other wise I will just get a new short block from Fred Beans.

As everyone else has said, I'm sorry to hear that. My guess is that it was stage 2 when you bought it? If so its very likely it was abused when you bought it.

I bought the car in "stock" form. I'm sure the car was modded before I bought it, there are signs of it not being left alone if you know what I mean. Who knows how far it was modded and if it was modded correctly. I did the stage two mods myself and I'll do the engine work also. It's the only way I can feel confident about the work being done. I knew I should have worked more overtime last year. Money will be tight for a while, so it will be a few months before I can get it back on the road.

This thread may get buried, but I will update it when things get done.

Please take a lot of pictures if you can. If nothing else it may help to provide for others that want to do the work.

One tip: I think that you don't have to drain the AC, just unbolt the compressor and move it over to the side. Same with servo pump. At least it can be done that way on a STi.

It may help you to avoid some mess at least.

453747.png

Archived