LegacyGT.com

Removing Crankshaft Timing Belt Gear?

95 Subaru Legacy Outback 2.2 5MT

Is there a tool that maybe Autozone or O'Reilly's would loan that can remove this gear? The key that holds the outer crankshaft sprocket and timing belt gear has broken off inside the timing belt gear and it will not budge. Is this just a PB Blaster and pry carefully type of removal?

One more thing. While I am putting a new timing belt on I had all the marks lined up on all 3 gears and when I removed the belt, the cam gears have moved inward. The passenger side gear moved a little clockwise and the driver side gear moved a little counter clockwise. Can I spin these around until they line up or do I have to do it in a certain amount of turns? They won't stay in place by just moving them back to the lined up position.

Thank you!

Jason

yea the cam gear wont stay in place, due to the pressure of the valve springs, if its lined up mark timing is set, there isnt two possibilities, just use a 17mm wrench to hold it as you line up the new timing belt, the crank wont turn,

as for removing the gear, not sure, you mean the key broke off in the keyway ? maybe you need a puller to get it of,

• I Donated
I've had to get something behind the gear and GENTLY pry on it. While prying, tap the top of it with a hammer (not hard enough to damage the pulley). This might work

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

there is a valve spring removal tool that works great, but you have to remove the inner part that is supposed to compress the spring. i had to figure this out on my own, ill try to take a pic later on of the tool in question. it was basically the only tool i could find with claws small enough to fit behind the gear.

edit: it looks a lot like this

2431.jpg

but you have to remove the ring clip and the black part off the inner shaft for it to work correctly.

You can thread the two holes with a tap and use the screw holes (ala brake rotor) to break it free. I'd also put a metal shim between the screw and the Al oil pump behind it

O.

if the key broke off there is a pretty good chance you should replace the sprocket any way. but trying to pry it off has caused these to break oof one of the tabs. this is bad.

i tapped the holers as mentioned and borrowed a tool on my first one, but since then i have not needed it. tapping on it with a hammer and pblaster usually gets it off. but if the key / key way is boogered all bets are off.

good luck.

I ended up tapping threads into the gear and using a puller. One of the tabs broke off of the back part of the gear in a previous attempt. Do those tabs have any effect on timing, or does a sensor read those somewhere? Also, does anyone know the size of the woodruff key that needs to go back in? Mine is too wasted to get a measurement.

You're going to need a new crank sprocket. The crank sensor works off of it.

Am sure someone else will chime in as to which years are the same, to ease your search.

O.

I had this same problem on my 96 EJ25, minus the broken woodruff key, a stuck crankshaft sprocket. I used two long bolts stuck into the two non tapped holes and wiggled it loose.

On my 2.2 I laid a piece of flat stock across the oil pump surface and used it as a place to brace a bent tip pry bar against. Took very little effort.

I now put a light film of grease on everything before re-assembly.

Tom

This sucker was on there! I used a fine threaded steering wheel puller, tapped the two holes in the camshaft idler for M7x1.0 threads and put an electric impact driver on the bolt. It took a little while and it was a fight the whole time. I will be in the wrecking yards tomorrow morning looking for a new sprocket....

I've battled this before on my dad's old '93 EJ22. On that, for whatever reason the woodruff key failed and broke in 2 pcs. I think this was immediately after the power steering pump locked up...anyways...

Check the crank snout and the balancer for wear in the key area. His crank had a chunk out of it, his balancer was shot, and so was the timing sprocket. I had to order the woodruff key from a subie dealer but it wasn't unreasonable.

I also tapped the crank timing sprocket I think to 8mm, works well.

This sucker was on there! I used a fine threaded steering wheel puller, tapped the two holes in the camshaft idler for M7x1.0 threads and put an electric impact driver on the bolt. It took a little while and it was a fight the whole time. I will be in the wrecking yards tomorrow morning looking for a new sprocket....

new one was 35 bucks at the dealer, not too bad.

• 1 month later...
I've battled this before on my dad's old '93 EJ22. On that, for whatever reason the woodruff key failed and broke in 2 pcs.

I think I have this same issue.. it rounded out the inside of the crank pulley but did not really wear it down (odd) but the thing is mine must of broke in two just right where the crank sprocket goes over half of the woodruff key, I found that out today because touching it with my finger it felt fine but when I put on my new perrin LCP and tried to turn the motor I felt the key move and that's when I saw by touching it that it moved.

Funny part is my bolt never backed off 150 Ft.lbs so I don't know how it happens.. Having said that I'm going to have to tap or pull the crank sprocket off. I hope the dealer has the stuff same day.

Archived