LegacyGT.com

Best STI pink springs for spec.B

mad99

Which version of the SIT pink springs are best for the 6MT spec.B?

By "best" I mean even stance, with equal fender gap front and rear. In stock form the front gap is ridiculous, so the front needs to be lowered more than the rear.

EDO currently has a group buy with good price ($385 shipped) on a pinks (deadline is Jan 17, 2009):

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102207

Lots of people rave about the greatly improved handling with spec.B struts along with a slight drop and good ride quality.

But which version do people use? None of the JDM Legacy's exactly match the USDM spec.B because we have the 2.5L vs their 2.0L, and JDMs might not sit evenly anyway.

So, who has pinks on their spec.B and which ones did you use? Is it better to use front springs from a lighter car like a 5MT so our heavier 6MT will sit lower, along with rear springs from a heavier car like a wagon so our rear is relatively higher?

Some people say all the pinks are the same spring rate and different lengths, while others say the the JDM spec.B springs are stiffer than the JDM GT.

Here are some good comparison pictures of a 07 specB, but I'm not sure which pinks sirsimon used:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52820&page=2

Part numbers from chart below:

FRONT

P/N: ST2033021000

GT Sedan Auto

GT Wagon Auto

P/N: ST2033021010

GT Sedan Manual

GT-B Sedan Auto

GT Wagon Manual

GT-B Wagon Auto and Manual

P/N: ST2033021020

GT-B Sedan Manual

REAR

P/N: ST2038021000

GT Sedan Auto and Manual

GT-B Sedan Auto and Manual

P/N: ST2038021010

GT Wagon Auto and Manual

P/N: ST2038021020

Part number chart below from this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84160

Please post which part # pinks you have on your USDM 6MT spec.B with Bilstein struts, and side profile pictures, if you have them.

662269024_STISportSpringPartNumbers.thumb.jpg.a89caf5fd525b9a75db9f4f520c5a2b5.jpg

I don't have them yet, but I did the same research just yesterday....

For an even gap, it has been recommended to use:

Front: ST2033021010

Rear: ST2038021010

That's probably what I'll end up ordering on the GB.

Do a search for spec, pinks, usdm and you'll find several threads about this from about a year and a half ago.

Looks like we have a common interest, lets see what we can find out before ordering!

This post from this thread helped me decide to go with the Spec B specific springs (ST2033021020 = B sedan w/ MT & ST2038021020 = B wagon MT and AT) for my '08. I'll probably put my order in for the group buy tomorrow. If you look at the group buy post, they have both those part numbers listed as Spec B Pinks

hope that helps you

Dave

Edited by DMTaylor

^ i think you should do a little more research before reaching that conclusion......(unless you have done a JDM swap).

Spec b specific pinks are designed for JDM Spec b Bilsteins, which we do not have.

The dampening properties of our USDM Bilsteins is similar to the JDM GT Bilsteins (the GT has Bilsteins there), which is why we should ignore the GT-B springs... they're just too much spring for our watered down dampeners.

The suggestion to use the wagon springs in the rear is to help with the 'saggy butt' rake, which some don't like (the wagon springs are slightly longer from what I've read).

For a perfect match to the strut, you should opt for:

Front: ST2033021010 (GT Sedan Manual)

Rear: ST2038021000 (GT Sedan Manual)

I'll dig up some threads.....

Edited by carrata

Thanks guys for the input. Now we're getting somewhere...

I just noticed that unclemat says

"use JDM GT MT wagon Pinks on sedan. Will yield better stance"

in post 120 in his FAQ: JDM OEM suspension thread http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61108

So that would be:

Front: ST2033021010

GT Sedan Manual

GT-B Sedan Auto

GT Wagon Manual

Rear: ST2038021010

GT Wagon Auto and Manual

My understanding of the reasoning:

The 2007 and newer spec.B's have the 6MT which is heavier than the 5MT in the JDM GT. The AT is heavier than the 5MT, so front springs intended for the AT better match our heavy 6MT.

That being said, using JDM GT 5MT front springs should lower the front of our cars even more relative to the rear, which is also addressed by...

Our cars tend to look lower in the rear, and wagons are slightly heavier in the rear, so wagon springs lower the rear relatively less compared to the front, and the drop looks more even. Wagon owners are out of luck, which is one reason people make spring spacers to fix "saggy butt".

So using JDM GT wagon MT springs makes sense to me.

What I can't figure out is the difference between the JDM GT and JDM GT-B springs. Are the JDM spec.B pinks shorter or stiffer than the JDM GT pinks?

At the moment this makes sense to me (what unclemat recommends):

Front P/N: ST2033021010 GT Wagon Manual

Rear P/N: ST2038021010 GT Wagon Manual

This should be the shortest front spring to provide the max front drop, and the longest rear spring to provide the min rear drop. Which should result in an even stance on a USDM spec.B.

I just wish someone knew the difference between the JDM GT and JDM GT-B pinks!

I don't even know if the JDM spec.B has a six speed?

At the moment this makes sense to me (what unclemat recommends):

Front P/N: ST2033021010 GT Wagon Manual

Rear P/N: ST2038021010 GT Wagon Manual

This should be the shortest front spring to provide the max front drop, and the longest rear spring to provide the min rear drop. Which should result in an even stance on a USDM spec.B.

I just wish someone knew the difference between the JDM GT and JDM GT-B pinks!

I don't even know if the JDM spec.B has a six speed?

Ok. That's cool. Unlcemat really knows his stuff, so I'll go that route also. I gotta get this squat issue I'm having with the spec b addressed.

Anyone know what the OEM Spec B springs part # is? And if it's stamped on the spring anywhere?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to a dealer in Japan while I was visiting my sister there last week and got a set of STi Pink springs for my '08 GT-B.

The dealer had the following official STi documents showing which spring part number was for which vehicle which I thought would be helpful to other here on this site trying to figure out which ones they want to put on there car. I've attached pages 1-2 of the document with a matrix shown on Page 2 showing how the part number match up to all Legacy GT and 3.0R combinations.

Tuesday of next week I'm going to install the Pinks I bought on my Spec. B. I will post pictures if anyone is interested afterwards. Here are the Springs I will be installing: :spin:

[According to STi Document]

Front - ST2033021000 (2.0GT 5MT Sedan or Wagon)

Rear - ST2038021000 (2.0GT Sedan)

Also I have a set of : ST2033021020 and ST2038021020 Pinks that are still new and sealed in their boxes I got from a friend in Japan as well.

I don't need them so if anyone here is interested in them, send me a PM.

STi Pinks.pdf

Edited by fc3s86

Those are the same part numbers sirsimon used on his car:

Not 100% sure which pinks I got... I ordered them from Gruppe S and was simply told that they are "JDM GT Rev C pinks".

The fronts:

ST2033021000 (2 orange paint dabs)

The rears:

ST2038021000 (2 white paint dabs)

From looking at http://www.thel7.com/pn.html it looks like they should be JDM GT AT pinks. All I know is, I am thrilled with the drop, handling, and ride. I truly appreciate all of the recommendations on going with pinks.

And his after pictures look good! Can't wait to see your results as well.

Advice wanted!

I'm looking into putting these (STi pink) springs on my '09 specB with stock bilsteins. Do you guys think these are the best choice if I'm looking for an even drop but not a slammed look? What other brands should I be looking at? I can't afford to lose much in ride quality though because the roads where I live are like back alley roads in Afghanistan (at least right now!). Are these going to wear out the bilsteins in a few years? Price seems to be the only down side, who are the best vendors for these?

Any comments/advice greatly appreciated!:)

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

the pink springs will not "slam" your ride regardless which combo you get. mostly what is being figured out is what combo will give the most even stance since the legacy has a tendency to sit nose up, even more so with the spec b tophats.

links in this discussion can give you a good idea of the drop

pinks, switfs and ion springs are usu the most popular combo i think

some info on ion springs + spec b

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109538

Also I have a set of : ST2033021020 and ST2038021020 Pinks that are still new and sealed in their boxes I got from a friend in Japan as well.

I don't need them so if anyone here is interested in them, send me a PM.

hm, interesting. i'm still somewhat confused with all the spring combos

on edoperformance.com the GT-B springs are diff from the part numbers people have been using thus far :confused: what's the diff?

One generally wants to match spring and shock rates.

The US spec.B has the same shocks as the JDM GT, so it makes sense to use the JDM GT pink springs with the US spec.B shocks. Some people upgrade their US Legacy to the firmer JDM spec.B shocks, so it would make sense for them to use JDM spec.B springs.

One generally wants to match spring and shock rates.

The US spec.B has the same shocks as the JDM GT, so it makes sense to use the JDM GT pink springs with the US spec.B shocks. Some people upgrade their US Legacy to the firmer JDM spec.B shocks, so it would make sense for them to use JDM spec.B springs.

Gotcha! So then I'm looking for the ones made for the GT for sure. :)

Next question, which I should be able to have answered by calling, When you order the springs (from EdoPerf, racecomp, japanparts, etc) can you order fronts and rears meant for different models as they stock them? Example, Edo sells them by AT(3021000f/8021010r),MT(3021010f/8021000r), or SpecB(3021020f/8021020r) - (note: they've mixed up f/r on their website) - so can you even order 3021010f with 8021010r? I guess I'll find out....

I'm also thinking about Wangans, they were recommended to me by Han's GT for my application, but too bad no one's got them on a specB AFAIK for a review, here's a pic a their numbers... they're also a little more expensive than pinks ($620 Canadian shipped)...

Wangan.png.147605a95c24d8132e9756e468aad85d.png

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

Finished installing the new STi Pinks on my '08 this morning. Just snapped a few pictures after getting back from testing out the new setup.

I have to say that the improvement to handling is outstanding. This is the way the car should have been out of the factory. It did drop the height which is much welcomed so that now the car doesn't look or ride with an wheel gap that looks like it is from an outback.

I have to totally recommend making the switch to Pinks over stockers. Would never go back. The part numbers I used are listed in a few posts back if anyone is interested.

Springs_1.jpg.cde8537049275cc47e4521ecb004b41f.jpg

Springs_2.jpg.8071c60b7439af5b5c1e709a65067274.jpg