LegacyGT.com

Can't decide

DGR81

Engine wise I would pick the 95 over the 99. The 95 is non interference and has very low mileage for an EJ22E. The 22Es go forever and one of the most reliable engines out there. I have 264k on mine and it is running strong.

The 2.5 in the 99 GT is a great engine as well with about 20 more HP, but usually have head gasket issues around 160k. Since the 99 GT has 200k I would find out if the HGs have been replaced.

Next up I would compare body and interior. Is there rust on either one? The GT will have the rear spoiler, a hood scoop, and a slightly cooler bumper with fogs.

My vote is for the 95. Lower mileage and a bombproof engine. Less miles on the drivetrain as well. If you love the hoodscoop and rear spoiler of the GT you can always swap those over later to your 95.

Are they auto or manual? Which do you prefer? When was the timing belt and pulleys replaced on each? It will cost you about $650 or more to have a shop do it. A kit from ebay is about $125 if you like to wrench on your own vehicles.

Good luck, and post some pics of your choices if you get a chance.

my 98 GT made it to 250000 miles with very little work needed after 200000, but i did head gaskets at around 185,000 and it was very pricey. If the head gaskets have been done it may not be a bad idea but i agree that the 2.2 is a much more reliable engine. But body condition is a big factor here too, if the 4 years of extra age on the 95 translate to alot more rust then the lower mileage wont matter when you have to put a ton of money into body work

The rust is a factor if you don't want to ride dirty. A 22E will outlast the body. :) If you need bodywork advice I have some.

There is a rusted to hell Subie in my town that has gone over 400k with a 22E. My favorite dealership wants to buy it but the owner won't sell it.

Archived