LegacyGT.com

2005 BSM Legacy GT Wagon 5MT LTD *Round Two*

discojon

I guess i don't really have any Pre-Purchase Questions, but i wanted to document my experience looking for and hopefully purchasing a car. Hopefully this will turn out beneficial to someone.

Please refer to my prior thread for info about the last LGT I was looking into.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/05-legacy-gt-wagon-5mt-limited-issues-217813.html

After walking away from the last car i stumbled onto this one that was just traded in.

http://www.billesteschevy.net/VehicleDetails/used-2005-Subaru-Legacy_Wagon-Wgn_2.5_GT_Ltd_Manual_Black_Int-Indianapolis-IN/2134387743

Body is 8/10

Interior is 8/10

Motor looks to be good, no leaks, or noises awaiting compression and leakdown numbers

Dealer took the car on trade in and paid $8000 for it. It is soft listed at $11,999. Upon talking with them they offered $9999 prior to the car going through mechanical inspection. Items found needing repair include:

Fog light bulb

2 lower ball joints

Brake pads F/R

LF inner CV boot

4 Tires

Dealer cost on parts plus service $1621

Napa parts cost for everything but tires is $185, I figure 400 for tires.

Timing belts kit from Emnotek $299

Now, right off the bat, this car seems better that the last. No VC gaskets leaking, Carfax shows routine service from dealer. 105k hasn't been done so timing belt will need done. But as was my plan last time, i'll hook up learning view, SSM, and do some data logging to see what the story in internally.

I made the contingent offer of $9500 pending good compression and leakdown results. They said $9750. So once those numbers are back I will update this thread. I'm still looking for someone in the Indy area to look at the car in person either today or tomorrow for me if possible.

Total cost:

$9750 - car

$682 - Tax

$180 ish - Title fee

$885 ish - Above parts, Timing belt kit with WP, tires

$11497 Grand Total

Seems a bit high but close the the Real world value of the car.

You probably know this, but you shouldn't have to pay tax in Indy if you're gonna title the car in WV. . . you'll pay that to your local title clerk. . . or at least, that's how it works here in TN. Make sure they know that when they work up a deal sheet, otherwise you may wind up paying tax twice.

You probably know this, but you shouldn't have to pay tax in Indy if you're gonna title the car in WV. . . you'll pay that to your local title clerk. . . or at least, that's how it works here in TN. Make sure they know that when they work up a deal sheet, otherwise you may wind up paying tax twice.

I asked the salesman about that and he said you pay tax in the state you buy it in. I'll double check though.

Did they ask you for your motor for the LGT? I figure the car will go to auction...

I asked the salesman about that and he said you pay tax in the state you buy it in. I'll double check though.

Did they ask you for your motor for the LGT? I figure the car will go to auction...

Not yet.

I thought I might see if they'd trade even for my 05 sedan with 120k.

I'll put my 68k 08 motor (and related Si-drive goodness and steering wheel audio controls) in and be happy.

JUST those two states? That's effin' weird. Probably a good reason not to buy a car from IN or FL tho if you're planning on taking it across state lines. I bought a truck in KY last year. . paid cash to the dealer for the truck and drive out tag only, got it tagged and paid tax on it when I got back to TN.

Not yet.

I thought I might see if they'd trade even for my 05 sedan with 120k.

I'll put my 68k 08 motor (and related Si-drive goodness and steering wheel audio controls) in and be happy.

JUST those two states? That's effin' weird. Probably a good reason not to buy a car from IN or FL tho if you're planning on taking it across state lines. I bought a truck in KY last year. . paid cash to the dealer for the truck and drive out tag only, got it tagged and paid tax on it when I got back to TN.

That would be nice. Good luck.

Yep 65 PSI across the board. ASME mech did the test, warm, WOT, followed Subaru's guidelines that i sent him. No leakdown done.

Car is presenting no issues, no smoke, no rough idle.

I offered $4000 as is and was turned down, car is slated for auction.

Bill Estes

(877) 861-5916

stock number: D4403A

vin: 4S3BP676X56317094

exterior: Silver

transmission: Manual

body style: Station Wagon

doors: 4

trim: Wgn 2.5 GT Ltd Manual Black Int

mileage: 105,432

• Moderators
I suggest not looking at dealerships unless you're looking at a much newer MY. People seem to trade these cars in for a reason(s), and unsuspecting salesman don't know what they're looking for when they take them in.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived