LegacyGT.com

2005 5MT, Clutch slipping after minor collision

asellus

*Update 7/17*

Clutch no longer slips, hasn't since the middle of March. Engagement is sloppier than I remember, so if anything my slave cylinder is starting to fail and/or my rear main seal is leaking a little.

So I was driving around a week and a half ago, and someone ran a red and hit me. See picture below:

http://ian.data-park.com/pics/carhit.jpg

Damage was mostly front-end. New bumper and undergoodies, minor frame damage (one hour on the rack), new hood.

Prior to the accident, I was able to floor it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th without problem. In fact, I would frequently spool up in 5th to pass people.

When I picked up the car from the bodyshop, as I was driving away I almost immediately noticed the clutch slipping. The brakes were also pretty damn soft, but that has fixed itself now (100 miles later).

I called the bodyshop on it and they said the systems weren't touched, but they'd be happy to take a look. I can't get back out there until Wednesday.

Thinking air got in the lines on impact, I bled the clutch slave. No change. The pedal feels exactly like it did prior to the impact.

It's a 2005 LGT, bone stock, 86k miles. I'm the second owner, and have had it for roughly 10k miles.

I went to this shop since I know a guy who works there. I don't believe they went and thrashed the car, but my average MPGs went down from 22 (before impact) to 18 (when I picked it up). The tank had 60-90 miles on it at the time of pickup. I don't know if they test drove it yet, so they either idled it and heated up the interior for a long time, or they floored it everywhere for a while. My HVAC controls were set to 85 degrees when I picked it up, so the former seems likely.

All the reading I've done indicates 80-120k miles on a clutch, and there are several examples of it coming on very suddenly.

Ideas?

I'm guessing the clutch is gone. These things have crappy oem clutch's at best.

Find a good after market clutch and a single mass flywheel. Read the post below, lot's of info here on who likes what brand.

Do Not put a OEM unit back in there. May be check out the TSK3 kit too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 year later...

An update, since I tore down the engine from the horrible misfiring (all exhaust valves burnt).

The clutch was down to the rivets on one side, and close on the other. Pressure plate and flywheel show signs of extreme heat stress. Previous owner must not know how to drive a manual transmission -- couple that with how easy it is to glaze the OE clutches in these and you have yourself the typical short-lived LGT clutch. I limped it along from March 2012 to August 2013 like this. The glazing and subsequent slipping goes away after a few days of commuting.

Pro tip, don't slip your clutch excessively and it lasts longer. Turns out the glazing was caused whenever anyone else drove the car. The shop people touched it, clutch slips for a week. Dad drove it to the airport to pick me up, slipped for a couple days.

Fred Bean has the single mass OE kit + TSK3 for $550 right now, I'll be picking that up for sure.

Archived