LegacyGT.com

Life Under 3k... my experiment

So after filling up the other day at 3.19 a gallon, i was thinking man maybe i should get a commuter car.

Then i decided to see just how good of gas milage I could get by keeping it under 3k, and keeping it under 2500 most of the time.

Keep in mind this experiement is only going by the trip computer, i dont want to hear 100 flames on how accurate/inaccurate the trip computer is.

So that being said after two days of keeping it under 3k, coasting as much as possible and being gentle on the gas I'm at 23.1 on the trip computer. Not bad since according to the trip computer the way I normally drive i get 19.5.

This is in mixed tollway, local driving and on the tollway ive been keeping it between 65-70.

This is in no way a scientific experiment, just something I'm doing for my own interest to see how much I can improve gas milage by changing my driving habits. Staying out of the turbo is an exercise in self dicipline for sure.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well most of us knew coming in that it wasn't going to be all that much of a gas sipper. My dad urge me to get the 2.5i because it has better fuel efficiency and it can use regular. Being pigheaded and stubborn, I got the GT which uses premium and is worse on efficiency. But it translates to at most about $5-10. $2.50 for the regular - premium conversion and maybe another gallon or two of fuel in the range dept.

Well worth it for the smile it brings.

Another thing is highway driving too...

If you keep it under 68mph, you can get at least 25/26 mpg on freeway driving, however if you go over 70, it will kill your savings...

Definitely a commuter car is the way out, mainly a diesel one, where you can get 50 mpg on it!!!!!

In the long run, we will save money (car depreciation, gas, maintenance, etc)....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Another thing is highway driving too...

If you keep it under 68mph, you can get at least 25/26 mpg on freeway driving, however if you go over 70, it will kill your savings...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I managed to cover so much more miles by running higher speeds, just dont nail the throttle or use cruise control.. I traveled 70+ mph most of the time on the highway and it's fine.. look for the real-time mpg readout and keep that number as high as possible (say 99.9 mpg if you can).. basically the weight of the car and momentum of the drivetrain is actually spinning the motor instead of the other way around..

Another good way to get more out of your mileage (and I noticed this a LOT when I was driving from FL back to MD) is tire pressure.. I ran a low tire pressure because of the rain in FL from an autox and I forgot to fill up the tires back up to my normal pressures.. I lost as much as 5 mpg.. I noticed this because we ended up filling up 60 miles earlier than expected..

Keefe

^ I "cruise" on the highway much like Keefe - as a result, I usually see my highest long-distance averaged MPG by driving at around 75-85 MPH.

I find that at lower speeds, I'm constantly on and off the gas, trying to meet the demands of surrounding traffic.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I forget.....

Do you have a AP?

If so run the economy map. I average 21.6 with the 5AT running the 93oct Protune TDC map.

I have run the economy map quite a bit....I average just under 26 mpg running that map.

I do set the cruise @ 75mph

It simply is not worth it to me for the 4mpg better mileage.

I drive about 50-55 miles per day 95% of that driving is interstate. The 5% is nice acceleration runs & very little stop & go traffic

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I see this and all discussion about MPG as being a ‘quality of life’ issue that I strongly considered before purchasing my LGT just a few weeks ago.

2006 Toyota Yaris S Sadan / 106 hp 1.5 liter / 34/39 mpg @ 87 octane

2006 Subaru Legacy GT Sadan / 250hp 2.5 liter / 18/25 mpg @ 91 octane

The Yris would take 2739 gallons to drive 100k miles costing $8,219.18 at a price of $3.00 per gallon.

The Legacy would take 4651 gallons to drive 100k miles costing $14,883 at a price of $3.20 per gallon.

It costs me $1,332 more, considering MPG only, per year to drive the Legacy GT over the Yaris. To me It's a no brainer.

*NOTE* I did more complex TCO calculations, but I wanted to keep my post focused on the MPG.

Steven

Dave, if you have an AP, economode will help you tame your right foot, but can be pretty frustrating at times. It's like neutering your car, I don't think it's quite right.

This morning's fill up was just over $51. That HURT. (I was deep into E obviously).

^ I "cruise" on the highway much like Keefe - as a result, I usually see my highest long-distance averaged MPG by driving at around 75-85 MPH.

I find that at lower speeds, I'm constantly on and off the gas, trying to meet the demands of surrounding traffic.

yeah 75-80 i see 26 easily, and some freak time i got 31.2 and thats doing the math not the trip puter although it was only 1 mpg off.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

haha its upwards of 3.25 in most places here for 93 oct. My driving consists on all city and I have not broken 300 miles in a few tanks. My mpg is usually around 16. Granted i drive 80% like a granny, shifts below 3k but the other 20% might be a few runs to redline or spirited driving. So if i drove like a granny all the time no doubt i could get around 20 all city.

So after filling up the other day at 3.19 a gallon, i was thinking man maybe i should get a commuter car.

Then i decided to see just how good of gas milage I could get by keeping it under 3k, and keeping it under 2500 most of the time.

Keep in mind this experiement is only going by the trip computer, i dont want to hear 100 flames on how accurate/inaccurate the trip computer is.

So that being said after two days of keeping it under 3k, coasting as much as possible and being gentle on the gas I'm at 23.1 on the trip computer. Not bad since according to the trip computer the way I normally drive i get 19.5.

This is in mixed tollway, local driving and on the tollway ive been keeping it between 65-70.

This is in no way a scientific experiment, just something I'm doing for my own interest to see how much I can improve gas milage by changing my driving habits. Staying out of the turbo is an exercise in self dicipline for sure.

sounds like a good idea , keeping the revs low. btw has anyone used midrange gas 89 octane. i use it in my audi a4 1.8 turbo and it runs fine on it no knocks.

I dont have an AP (yet) I had a good run of little stop and go on the drive in today and my trip computer avg has popped up to 24.0 even.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

It's all relative too. I dont think that any of the Subaru lines get "poor" gas milage. Compare it to any SUV or truck that the majority of people drive for status image alone, and I'll take my 25mpg average in a stage 2 OBXT.

I also try and offset the cost of running by riding my bike for short trips, and to work most days.

Archived