LegacyGT.com

Possible setteling with 2.5i questions

Hey all,

Looking at possibly picking an 2007 2.5i wagon with 43k. The price is fair and car looks good. My only question is-are there any things I should be on the look out for as far as reliability? I currently own a 99 LGT wagon and I know that generation is notorious for head gasket issues (replaced mine). SO anything I need to know about???

Thanks!!!

I've got over 70k miles on my car.

I'm actually experiencing a head gasket leak myself (oil seeping out extremely slowly) but it should be less common on the 4th gens, so get under there and check for leaks. A couple of my spark plug tube seals need replacing as well, so remove the spark plug cords and see if it's covered in oil.

One thing that's a universal problem for all the 4th gens are the front control arms' rear bushings being torn. Cheap and reliable replacements are the 08+ Impreza bushings which are more durable, part number 20204AG011. Since the control arm needs to come off to replace these, may as well replace the front bushings at the same time using the 08+ Impreza bushings again, part number 20204AG030.

I also had issues with my headgaskets leaking. Initially I was very slowly losing coolant and then eventually I had a relatively slow leak, but there was definitely oil seeping out. I went ahead and got it replaced as well. As far as I know, it's not as rampant of a problem as is on the previous generation of Subarus as you mentioned but it can still happen.

If it's an automatic, I'd be sure to check that the ATF was replaced on a regular basis.

N.sane brings up a good point on the LCA bushings.

Archived