LegacyGT.com

How have the IIHS tests affected your opinion on the Legacy?

What best describes your reaction to the IIHS results?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your reaction to the IIHS results?

• The Legacy is unacceptable
    • Current opinion about the Legacy's safety has not changed
    • I am having second doubts about the Legacy
    • Don't know

Here's a poll for everyone, and for comparison, here are the ratings from ANCAP and JNCAP. [url]http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/cars/crash_tests/ancap/medium/2003/03_suburu_liberty_sc.shtml[/url] [url]http://www.jafmate.co.jp/anzen/ncap/test/legacywgn_04.html[/url] [url]http://babelfish.altavista.com[/url] for the translation of JNCAP.

I am trying not to post about this, as my views are well documented in the FIRST thread about this issue... But the poll currently shows that it hasn't affected opinion much. Maybe people realize that these tests are graded on a very steep curve, where relatively minor changes in measurable outcomes changes the results from Great to Poor. Maybe most people realize that risks are a fact of life, and the differential in this issue is pretty small, in the "big picture", and to worry about those risks incessantly, and trying to micro-manage them tends to paralyze people's choices. Drive safe, and don't worry so much. -out.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I still love my car. I'm not even thinking about the crash data. I'm also invincible, so I don't really worry about things like that.

[quote name='jedimaster']I still love my car. I'm not even thinking about the crash data. I'm also invincible, so I don't really worry about things like that.[/quote] lmao. I thought it was the younger people who are supposed to have thoughts of invincibility? :P

[quote name='jedimaster']I still love my car. I'm not even thinking about the crash data. I'm also invincible, so I don't really worry about things like that.[/quote] I recently saw the aftermath of an accident where a lifted (around 6-8") Chevy crewcab T-boned a midsized sedan. The Chevy had very little damage to the front, the sedan was so damaged I could not tell what brand it was. Read in the newspaper the next day that the woman driver in the sedan died on the scene. Witnessing those kinds of things can dispel illusions of invincibility.

Guest *Jedimaster*
OK guys, but I really am invincible. I remember the one time this bridge went out and a train was coming. So I laid between the 2 sections of track and let the train roll over me. Another time this robber shot at me and I caught the bullet in my teeth. I can prove that I'm invincible. Think about it: have you ever seen me and Superman in the same room at the same time?

[quote name='outahere'] I recently saw the aftermath of an accident where a lifted (around 6-8") Chevy crewcab T-boned a midsized sedan. The Chevy had very little damage to the front, the sedan was so damaged I could not tell what brand it was. Read in the newspaper the next day that the woman driver in the sedan died on the scene. Witnessing those kinds of things can dispel illusions of invincibility.[/quote] In my case, I am not sure that is invincibility, as much as having accepted my own mortality. No one gets out of this life alive. That may sound callous, and I will tell you that I think every humane measure should be made to save people and keep them safe. But this accident is a good example. The truck was lifted. How high was the bumper off the ground? probably 2.5-4 feet. How tall is a sedan? 48 inches? 54 maybe? I don't mean to sound callous again, but what do you expect when any kind of speed is involved? It may as well have been a freight train versus a motorcycle. I hate to keep repeating this, but that is how the laws of physics work. My heart goes out to any victim, and their family, of a horrible accident like that. My ability to reason tells me that more accidents will happen, no matter how unhappy I am about it. The trick is, what do you think should happen after that? Do you want make it illegal to modify trucks? They'll can your car mods next, and all sorts of other things... I'll not have that kind of freedom removed, thanks. Do you make cars impenetrable? we'll, they're trying, but those tenacious laws of physics just seem to keep getting in the way. So, in the mean time, car accidents keep happening, and I keep encouraging my freinds and loved ones to drive as safely as they can. And that doesn't mean being a slowly rolling road block, with white knuckles on the steering wheel. At the end of the day, we mourn the loss of loved ones, and try to go on, and learn the lessons as best we can.

I just voted that my view of the Legacy hasn't changed. I'm not saying that it couldn't be better, but that as it is, it's still a pretty safe car. I'm definitely not losing any sleep at night doubting my decision to buy the new Legacy. If Subaru engineers decide they can make it safer with a new seat airbag design, though, I'll be the first in line. Safety is important to me. I do encourage all of you out there to send emails to Subaru expressing your shock/concern about the test results, though. It can only do good in the long run (in the form of a safer car for all of us). Happy driving!

[quote name='jedimaster']OK guys, but I really am invincible. I remember the one time this bridge went out and a train was coming. So I laid between the 2 sections of track and let the train roll over me. Another time this robber shot at me and I caught the bullet in my teeth. I can prove that I'm invincible. Think about it: have you ever seen me and Superman in the same room at the same time?[/quote] bwah ha ha ha :lol:

Archived