LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad Help

Abandonhope16

Need new rear pads. NTB wants $370 for installation, flush, pads, etc. What are my options here? A pair of rear Hawks run about $80; am I better off getting that and taking them somewhere else to get installed. What services should be performed with the installation? Supposedly its against NTB policy to install pads that arent theirs.

Where in NOVA are you? I could help you install if youre close.

I can get you some PBR Deluxes for $30. The NTB pads being used are prolly of lower quality anyways. I can also get you Hawk if you want. Lemme know if I can help.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Abandon... Would you consider a dealer?I had my rear pads replaced & rotors resurfaced by my local for $275. I would have liked some performance pads, but figure it matters more on the front brakes than the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, looking for a little more help. I was originally thinking Hawks, but then I figured I really dont need that. Its just for daily driving and I've lived with the stocks pads for this long, I'm sure I can do without anything fancy.

With that, I came across some Monroe Ceramic pads for $30 (CX770, which I believe is the correct set). Are these any good? Like I said I dont need fancy, but at the same time I dont want to downgrade. Thanks again.

OK, looking for a little more help. I was originally thinking Hawks, but then I figured I really dont need that. Its just for daily driving and I've lived with the stocks pads for this long, I'm sure I can do without anything fancy.

With that, I came across some Monroe Ceramic pads for $30 (CX770, which I believe is the correct set). Are these any good? Like I said I dont need fancy, but at the same time I dont want to downgrade. Thanks again.

Abadonhope16 keep in mind the three things tha keep you alive on your car:

1. Tires - no tires, no control and no stopping

2. brakes - no brakes, no stopping

3. suspension - no suspension, no control

When I switched to hawk HPS pads it was like night and day. The feedback and brake feel was tremendously improved and I do not track my car, it drives a daily rush-hour Los Angeles grind. I would not have previously thought the brakes were lacking before the change. I am very happy I made the change in a daily driver that sits in bumper to bumper traffic and I would do it again. I am not saying anything is wrong with using OEM style replacement pads at all, I am saying YOU ARE WORTH HPS FOR SURE and that they ARE an improvement. You are worth it.

That being said, I have only otherwise used OEM pads on my car so my comparison is very limited.

The PBR Deluxes are going to be better than the hawk HPS for half the price?:confused: If so, GOOD TO KNOW for the future...

Huh? I never said that. Sorry for the confusion, I was replying to the OP. I said they would be better than the Monroe Ceramix whatevers he was going to buy.

Hawk HPS would definitely have more bite and performance, however, if you only put them in the rear they arent going to do much, especially not for a "daily driver".

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Hawk HPS would definitely have more bite and performance, however, if you only put them in the rear they arent going to do much, especially not for a "daily driver".

Thats what I figured. I assume since I'm just doing the rears, the Hawks wont be a big improvement over OEM style pads. When it comes time to do the fronts, I'll look into Hawks.

Where in MD are you, may be my best bet. Thanks again!

As for tires, I just got a new set of Continentals; so those have helped.

I'll continue to research and am definitely open to more opinions; they are most appreciated.

Huh? I never said that. Sorry for the confusion, I was replying to the OP. I said they would be better than the Monroe Ceramix whatevers he was going to buy.

Thats why I was asking you to clear it up. I thought you had a well kept secret or something:lol:

Thats why I was asking you to clear it up. I thought you had a well kept secret or something:lol:

:)

Abandonhope16: Im near Norbeck, MD. I could ship to you also.. shouldnt be much, and I might be able to fit it into one of those small flat rate boxes.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

Abandon - One thing to note: A fair number of people living in cold/wet climates report that the Hawk HPS does not do well when cold/wet. I'm not running them, but I am running ceramic pads all the way around now (on my 06 Civic SI) and I've got to say....sometimes it feels like my brake lines sprung a leak because I'm pushing down and I'm slowing, but I'm not stopping as fast as I should.

Just something worth mentioning when comparing against OEM

buy any pad you want and install them yourself. watch a brake tuturial on youtube. I learned how to do brakes when young, now I do pad changes for friends and family and make a few bucks. its simple!

1. park car level

2. brake lugnuts free

3. jack up car, take off nuts, take off wheel, stick wheel under pinch rail if jack stand is unavailable.

4. remove lower caliper bolt, flip up caliper.

5. tap old pads loose and remove.

6. compress piston

7. mount new pads

8. flip caliper back down, and reinstall bolt.

9. remount wheel......

pump brake pedal, start car, pump more, then go bed the pad in (a few 30mph-0 stops)

take it easy for 300 miles, enjoy new brakes, and extra money in pocket.

• 4 weeks later...
Quick followup...the more I think about this, the more I want to just go with the stock material. I've read that if the car is not spec'd for ceramic than it can wear the rotors more quickly and since its the rear, I really dont need to go fancy. Anyone have details if the factory rotor are spec'd for ceramic or should I go with semi-metallic (which I believe it what stock is). Thanks again.

Quick followup...the more I think about this, the more I want to just go with the stock material. I've read that if the car is not spec'd for ceramic than it can wear the rotors more quickly and since its the rear, I really dont need to go fancy. Anyone have details if the factory rotor are spec'd for ceramic or should I go with semi-metallic (which I believe it what stock is). Thanks again.

ooOOoo A question I can actually help with. I do have HawkHPS all around AND have DBA4000 rotors in front, oem in rear. I cannot notice any difference in rotor wear BUT all I did was go out to my car and FEEL the rotors. I did not take micrometer readings or compare to original thickness.

I now have 58,xxx miles on the car and 15k on the HPS. I installed the HPS with the dba4000 and onto the original rear rotor as well. I think if you are still hemming-and-hawing about this, DON'T spend money on something you don't want when you were happy with what you already had.

The stock rotors are fine with semi-metallic or ceramics. No issues there. For a daily driver I'd get whatever are the least expensive set I can get at NAPA/Autozone/Etc or the PBRs from Magnetic since he is local. You aren't going to find pads for less than $30 and for the rear that's fine.

-mike

Archived