LegacyGT.com

5EAT TCU Reverse Engineering

utc_pyro

Just wanted to let everybody know that I edited the requested torque table and throttle plate position table within RomRaider and I felt a pretty good difference in shifting yesterday and today. I multiplied the values in the requested torque table by 1.4 or 40% and did the same with the top row of the throttle plate table. I did this because I was going autocrossing today and just wanted a little more security while racing the car.

Reviews:

After driving around for a while and the ECU had relearned all of its parameters, I went out for a spirited run. The transmission shifts a lot more precise in all modes..... but only when you are getting into the gas... If you are driving around town, it may feel a little different, but not much. I could really feel the difference in Sport Auto and Sport Manual (I don't ever drive in D). Sport Auto still likes to slip the gears and there is still a huge lag between shifts when using Sport Manual..... But when the gear engages it feel really strong!!!! Not that sloppy crap we are used to. I had 6 laps on the course today and the shifts were strong the whole time (I just can't get used to the delay after you hit +, the tranny shifts when it wants to). Even on the way home after all of that racing, the shifts felt really good.

I highly recommend doing this on your tunes if you have a Vag-Com or Tactrix cable!!! It not going to chirp your tires or really throw your head back, but it will take out a lot of slop (and hold more powa!). See the attached screen shot below.

FINALLY SOMEONE LISTENED!!!! (in addition to underground000)

Thank god.

I've been running around with only a 1.3 increase to the requested torque table. I like the idea of going 1.5 since I will be making 50% more torque than stock. However, that 50% increase is not linear across all points of the map, so fine-tuning will be required.

I say keep turning it up as high as you can, and log Requested Torque (if you can, I have not even checked). Then log when you drive around, and if a certain medium-throttle shift is either too soft or too firm, adjust that area of the map accordingly.

Thank god someone reads the damn forum.

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for the throttle plate when you say top row, are you talking 800rpm straight across?

No, I am talking about the 0-448 in the white blocks. A stock map will be 0-320. DO NOT CHANGE THE 0.00 CELLS OR COLUMNS ON EITHER MAP, you want that to stay the same. please compare my maps to your stock maps before making changes. If you click one cell, hold mouse button and drag across the other cells, you can change multiple cells at once. There is a multiplier function at the top of the RomRaider table that allows you to multiply all selected cells by a given value.

No, I am talking about the 0-448 in the white blocks. A stock map will be 0-320. DO NOT CHANGE THE 0.00 CELLS OR COLUMNS ON EITHER MAP, you want that to stay the same. please compare my maps to your stock maps before making changes. If you click one cell, hold mouse button and drag across the other cells, you can change multiple cells at once. There is a multiplier function at the top of the RomRaider table that allows you to multiply all selected cells by a given value.

Ok yah I mean I get the gist of alterations in RomRaider on editing just wanted to clarify before adjusting. Thank You.

Thanks for the input KYLegacy. I am going to try it out.

OK, I have Access Tuner Race. 05 LGT so I only see Requested Torque table and Throttle Maps, no Si Drive crap.

Here's what I got. Help me out please.

Those are the two same tables I changed in RomRaider. There is nothing about D, S or S manual in anything I have seen. Basically you are adjusting the set values across the board and your TCU will take care of the shift points ect. like it normally does when you switch between modes. Your transmisison will act in the same way, just multiplied in the amount of clamping force (line pressure) that it usually sees.

Anyone know if I could do this with my APv1? Can the Street Tuner software do it? Then again, I got ProTuned - can Street Tuner read ProTuner files? Can the v1 Street Tuner software still be found anywhere?

I'm pretty sure the APv1 or any other AP will not do this. You should buy a $20 Vag-Com cable from ebay and download RomRaider to make these changes. You will need an older version of ECUFlash (Version 1.29) to communicate with the Vag-Com cable.

I got the requested torque table and also the top row of the throttle map, but Ky's table has higher values than mine (see 2nd screenshot), which is pretty much the COBB OTS Stg2. Not sure if I should match his values or leave mine in and just multiply the top row by 1.4. Edited by fishbone

Requested torque unmodified was 236lb-ft up top. By 1.4 that bumps it up to 320lb-ft which is a lot more realistic of a target for Stage 2. I wonder why it would be so low originally.

Odd, I just pulled up my stock Subaru map and it is 320... hmmmmmmm. Is yours an 05?

I don't see why buping yours up higher will hurt anything, I am running less power than most of you guys (Stage 1 tune + downpipe and catback). All I know is after my ECU went through its learning phase, the car shifted great!

Kyle

• Mega Users
This has been spelled out before, but I don't remember anyone before KY saying that it actually made a difference. It obviously shouldn't hurt, so I'll try it. We know that the TCU reads the requested torque in addition to other things, but even people who maxed out the whole table said they weren't sure it made a difference.

• Mega Users
Mine is 320 also. I'm using ecuflash v1.43 with windows 7 and an ebay vagcom with absolutely no issues. I haven't written to the ecu yet, but it logs and copied the rom with no issue. Edited by seabass07

For those who can't follow directions and need it handed to them (it's alright, I am often THAT GUY)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tune-5eat-line-pressure-149282.html?p=3159605#post3159605

Mine has made a decent difference, but it is rough around the edges and needs to be tuned more. I can't do that until later, so I am reserving a final statement.

Some people can probably change line pressure all day and just not be very aware of anything. Others will know the difference immediately. The same thing can be said for suspension stiffness or tire pressure...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

What would you say is rough around the edges? Does it make the throttle a little rough?

no.

my shift firmness in not completely "linear" in relation to real engine torque. So I get a harder shift at certain points when I really don't want it, lower in the map. Then I get a too-soft shift close by that point on the map.

These characteristics were/are evident in the basic form of my tune, and I believe they can be made much more predictable and seamless with some detailed tweeks later on.

I am completely obsessive with shift shock, so I'll probably go a little overboard with tuning this later on. But for now I'm more concerned with other things.

Fishbone your TP table makes no sense on the upper limit. Compare yours to mine in the line pressure thread. Yours stop at 80 something, and mine go to 100 (stock). That makes no sense. It should be a % so it should range up to 100%. Maybe I read it wrong in haste. Bed time.

I'm pretty sure the APv1 or any other AP will not do this. You should buy a $20 Vag-Com cable from ebay and download RomRaider to make these changes. You will need an older version of ECUFlash (Version 1.29) to communicate with the Vag-Com cable.

I have a VAG-Com cable.. However, I got tuned via ProTuner (stage 2.5: injectors, fuel pump, BNRevo16g, STi up). I don't have any knowledge (or time - it's my DD) to build a whole new opensource tune..