LegacyGT.com

Cat Converter Help

dAbad10

Just failed my emissions test and they say i need a new cat converter. I'm sort of new to cars in general but I know how to do little maintenance here and there. I want to do the cat myself but do my main question is can i buy a bolt on cat or do i need to get one welded and have an exhaust shop actually work on it?

I'm a baller on a budget and cant afford to get shop work done and am eager and excited to work on my subaru mostly myself.

Before you go buying a catalytic converter, I would confirm that is what the problem is.

Is there a check engine light on? If there is, get the code read to make sure that is the problem. They will fail if you have a check engine light on, regardless of what is actually wrong with the car (it could be an 02 sensor, ect)

All I'm saying is make sure you have identified the problem before you start throwing money at it... Cats are not cheap! If it is your cat, Subaru OEM would be your best bet as it will bolt right in where your old one is now. Also, I would confirm on the 3rd Gen forums to see how may catalytic converters your car actually has. Good luck!

Well the codes have been read and that's why they failed me.Plus the previous owner had said the cat was going bad but not a thing to worry about right now. where can i get a Subaru OEM one?

Archived