LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's on top rear of the passenger head and the front of the drivers side behind the timing belt cover.

Follow the Turbo feed toward the OCVS feed and it should be between them.

If I'm right you may have to take the inlet tube and possibly the intake off to get to it. If you go that far get the upgraded intake Orings to kill two birds.

FWIW, the later years don't have the same problem as the 05-06. I think its because when the oil drops out of of it when the engine is shut off, it pulls some of what ever is stuck upside down, back out of the filter.

or

May be there just aren't enough miles on them yet...

or

The vf46 has a better bearing.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 months later...

I'm coming up on 150k on my 05 legacy. Still running original hardware. I recently started noticing not very smooth spooling when accelerating out of a corner where I work. That got me looking online for threads related to turbo performance and preventative maintenance. Came across the banjo bolt problem actually on a different website but led me to this thread. I ordered my bolt two weeks ago but subaru sent me one without a filter. I already called the parts dept and they said to send it back and they'll send one with a filter. Looking to do this when the weather gets warm enough again. I'm suspicious that I'm nearing the end of the turbo life after hearing all these stories. But I've been changing oil (synthetic) every 5000 to 7500 miles. THis last oil change was my longest I went without changing (7500) and after reading all the stories, I defiantly want to replace the bolt now. Will post pictures of my filter when I get it out.

1st post of 2015 on this thread!!

I'm coming up on 150k on my 05 legacy. Still running original hardware. I recently started noticing not very smooth spooling when accelerating out of a corner where I work. That got me looking online for threads related to turbo performance and preventative maintenance. Came across the banjo bolt problem actually on a different website but led me to this thread. I ordered my bolt two weeks ago but subaru sent me one without a filter. I already called the parts dept and they said to send it back and they'll send one with a filter. Looking to do this when the weather gets warm enough again. I'm suspicious that I'm nearing the end of the turbo life after hearing all these stories. But I've been changing oil (synthetic) every 5000 to 7500 miles. THis last oil change was my longest I went without changing (7500) and after reading all the stories, I defiantly want to replace the bolt now. Will post pictures of my filter when I get it out.

1st post of 2015 on this thread!!

You shouldn't need a new banjo bolt, just the two copper crush washers. Just remove the old filter, put the bolt back in.

I'm guessing you'll want to do this at the same time you check the play in your turbo.

Have a plan ready to get a new turbo if you get a CEL P0011.

Replace that turbo before it takes out the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

what's with the long oci's????? the advisory from Subaru calls out 3000 or less for the turbos's.....forget that 5000-7000 stuff....

Several of us have pulled UOAs on Rotella T6 or whatever fancy Amsoil stuff people use, so we have actual data for viscosity, TBN, wear metals, etc. showing these oils have a ton of life left in them at 3K miles so it's wasteful of time and money to change it that soon. I didn't just blindly decide to run a 5500-6000 mile OCI, I worked up to it. I do lots of highway cruising with only occasional WOT so the oil is living pretty easy, and it's a good oil to begin with. People using different oils or with different driving habits might not be able to go as long and the factory specs usually assume the lowest common denominator. Blackstone actually thought I could try 7K next time, but I'm not trying to make a sport out of this. I'm now changing oil about every 12-13 weeks instead of every 8 weeks, good enough for me.

I like to go by miles not a timeframe due to having a solid base line with an Oil Analysis Program (OAP)... about 4000 miles on Mobil 1 full synthetic. I know I could go longer, but feel more comfortable with 4000. Edited by SATSFYD
**There are two types of people in the world, those who build horsepower and those who buy it. Which one are you?

what's with the long oci's????? the advisory from Subaru calls out 3000 or less for the turbos's.....forget that 5000-7000 stuff....and definitely use a new bolt with filter....not a good idea to stuff the old one back in....

Yep. my OCI went from every 5wks. to every 20wks:cool:.

Yes, but you have two oil filters also.

Jack, as it was said above. Blackstone Labs has told me to leave my oil there 2000 more mile and send in another sample. That was at 7000 miles on Amsoil European 5w-40 and their filter. I normally change it at 7000 miles, except now its to cold to be under the car doing a oil change. My wagon is about 7500 miles on the oil. My Spec is closing in on 7000 miles.

I have the oil and filters in the shed, just waiting for a nice day.

Again, most of my driving is highway.

I went longer than 7K a few times due to time constraints. That was using Mobil 1 before the switch to T6. Inside the motor was honey glazed and next to no carbon buildup at all. Only carbon buildup was in the combustion chamber. Crank was still within spec and polished. Cams were pristine.

After rebuild break in I'll probably be going for 5K change intervals.

I have run M1 0W40 European formula, AMSOIL, and other high quality oils....they do make a difference. However, that being said, with these turbo cars it is better to change the oil more frequently. If your lab says your oil is still good until 7000 miles, that does not mean another engine/turbo will replicate your results. Why roll the dice? It is severe service, after all. Compared to the cost of repairs, replacement, and labor, oil and filters are inexpensive. Driving patterns, turbo warm-up cycle, ambient temperatures all play significant roles. For instance, using 5W30 M1 changed every 3000 miles, a commute in Florida on the interstate for 70 miles preceded by a turbo warm-up, produces very little stress on the oil. I have seen VF40's go 150,000 miles with no observable wear in that scenario. In Maine, at 0 F or below, it becomes even more important to do adequate turbo warm-up. If you are uncertain how long to do this, you can use the available software and your laptop computer to observe the engine temperature sensors as the engine warms up.

Where are you guys ordering the filters from? All I seem to find is just the union screw and filter assembly as one part number.

Which filter, the one in the banjo bolt ?

Remove it and throw it away. Do not leave it in the oil supply system.

My rear banjo filter is still sitting here in my desk drawer for about 4 years now.

I've always swapped them out every couple oil changes. They were squeaky clean and figured it would keep any of the small stuff out of the turbo. Used to be able to get the banjo bolt filters locally by themselves. But the dealer told me the other day they can't get them separate anymore and it's $18 a screw. That's the reason I ask. Idk if I can't find them I'll probably go the IPT filtered line and trash them.

sorry if i missed the answer on this immensely informative thread, but does my 08 LGT have this filter?

from reading this thread the answer seems to be...maybe

i plan on OCI being 3.5k miles and the car has 52k mi on it BUT i am having a headgasket job done at the dealer anyway so while they're wrenching on it, should i recommend they look for this BB filter and inspect it?

Yes have them look at it. IMO the later years banjo seems to stay cleaner because its vertical not horizontal.

I got the p0011 code in the fall. I immediatly drove home, emptied my oil, ran some cheap synthetic for 50 miles then replaced that with eneos 5w30. The cel went away and all has been well *knocks on wood*

But really i need to check that banjo bolt asap. This michigan weather isnt very motivating though.