LegacyGT.com

Using The Ebay/VAG-COM Cable To Datalog

qikslvr

im 99% sure its a stock rom. the ecu and full loom came from a 2002 wagon. im starting to thing i may have a wiring issue some where. i have now tried 3 laptop. ( win 2000 win xp ans win 7) 3 cables ( 2 get as far as get kernel version 1 just says unable to connect) the thing that bugs me is it makes no differance id teh car is plugged in or no. all 3 cables and laptops will log with romraider. i did try ecuflash 1.31. and this verifide test mode then stopped.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone had any issues with romraider halting data logging at WOT. I've no issues with idling and driving normally, but during a WOT third gear pull romraider inevitably fails at ~4k and stops data logging. I've read multiple threads/ideas concerning spark plugs and random EMF; there does not, however, appear to be a solution. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yes there have been multiple reports of that problem but no concrete solution. I have personally seen a problem where data values logged were not what was expected. Such as a 3rd gear pull and the Throttle Position started at 100% in the log then random values appeared until the end of the pull. A low-level RomRaider trace indicated that it is what the ECU was sending out. Either that or the serial driver for the cable started to act weird and caused the random numbers to appear. Unfortunately there's no way to trace the serial driver.

Then we tried to repeat the problem using the Openport 2.0 standalone logger and it read just fine. So maybe that does point to a driver problem either USB or serial VCP.

I report another success. I used the latest drivers linked in the first post for Windows 7 x64. Romraider worked , at least for logging. Make sure you set the rate to 4800. Unplug the device and plug it back in with the ignition on and laptop on incase it doesn't work right away.

One step closer to an infamous1 tune! Honestly finding a place to do 3rd gear pulls, 96-103 Mph will be hard. I'd like to go etune rather than have a local tuner with a dyno do it, just because of all the great feedback.

Edited by ObiWanToby

• 4 weeks later...

So here's were I'm at

RomRaider is good to go w/ all it's definitions installed

ECUflash is good to go (1.42)

usb ports are set at 4800

I downloaded both chip (I just need the d2) drivers, but were do I EXACTLY to put them ? When I hook my vagcom cable to the computer (in any usb port) no "install box" pops up. So I can really install the drivers in a specific spot. So i just unzipped them in my download folder.

My vagcom cable did come with a cd, but I guess i don't need it since its vw specific.

Anyways, I did try to plug the vagcom cable to the car and the laptop and drive around. Romeraider cant connect and ECUflash can "see" the cable but cant read the ecu.

I guess its because the drivers are not in the correct spot ?

You should be using the drivers that are in the OpenECU drivers directory (that came with 1.42).

Plug the cable in and then in device manager, uninstall the associated drivers (USB & VCP).

Unplug the cable and reboot.

After reboot, plug the cable in and point the driver installer to the dir above.

• 1 month later...

I can't check at the moment. Are there VAGCOM drivers for Linux?

I know ROMRaider supports Linux, just not sure about the cable.

With Windows XP close to sunsetting date and the fact that the tablet I use is very low on hardware specs, I am considering Linux as an alternative.

Yes but you can log the four AF correction & IAM parameters briefly to get the same view. For the FLKC you'd have to log that and drive around a bit to see what's in some of the cells. If it shows zero all the time you're good.

welll then not much trick to it. hahaha i was just concerned my samsung tablet with xp might be too ancient being that its from 2007..i guess im just spoiled or ignorant :lol: i did download romraider off the site and got the logger and flasher on my desktop no problem. now i just gotta LEARN how to log Edited by MDKSDMF
ADHD

• 4 weeks later...
So i was able to use learning view to get ecu data....was able to reflash my ecu using ecuflash....now trying to data log. romraider isn't working correctly. when i start the logger, there is nothing in the com port pull down menu on the upper left hand side. it comes up in learning view fine, but not in romraider...almost like it doesnt think a cable is plugged in. any solutions?

• 1 month later...
Im new to tunning ,I am a tech by trade though hvacr and industrial chp plants not that it matters here . But i can handle this I think with the right instructions. If I get the cable and download the flash drives , what is this exactly doing for the car? Am i gonna have full capability to change all parameters on my own and possibly not know enoughf to make a difference or blow the subi up . Im asking cus this thread seems to sound like something my computer programmer should be reading .And I just emailed infamous tunning maybe keep it simple ad safe. thanks guys

It gives you the ability to tune, but more importantly for "joe average" that simply wants a tune done, the ability to datalog. This means that you effectively "listen" to the car and make sure the tune is running clean without significant and frequent knock, overboosting and other issues.

You get the cable, you get the drivers, you get ROMRaider and you get Learning View, you set up your laptop and you are in the game.

Thansk Fish < by the way Infamous tunning responded 10 days later to my inquiry about getting tuned . IM gona spend the money for a plugin and not worry about a busy tech . Im researching I know greddy had a plugin tuner a while back that had a screen like a gps and all cars data temps and pressures were available 25 points if i rember right . and you were able to tune with it that sounds nice and dont need gauges like a hot rod .