LegacyGT.com

How long did your OEM alternator and starter last?

208k on my OEM alternator and OEM starter... I'm wondering how much longer they'll last. When I tried to be proactive by replacing my OEM battery after 5 years and 138k, the duralast gold replacement left me stranded in a parking lot 6 months later... So I'll probably wait to replace my alternator and starter, but I don't know if they'll quit tomorrow or 3 years from now.. Just wondering how long everyone's lasted.

the wagon still has the oem alternator as does the Spec. I have replaced both starters. The Spec 's a few months back about 73,000 miles and wagon's years ago, both for the same reason.

Batteries I replace at 5 or 6 years, just before winter sets in.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

218K and I'm still on OEM everything. I'm the second owner of my wagon, so it very well could've been replaced... but I doubt the PO would've replaced with OEM stuff. Service records clearly show they stopped using the dealer for everything but oil changes about three years before I bought it. Starter solenoid is going, it gets grindy in the cold, but it's been like that since I got it so go figure. The alternator isn't very stressed either. I have only three aftermarket gauges, and a deep cycle battery.

My wagon might be an anomaly though, I just replaced the original battery dated 6/2006 last month.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

MTB, that great life out of that battery. The Advance Auto battery in my 86' F150 lasted 10 years too. But the truck sits from cold weather till April. Even with the 2 year old battery, it would not start yesterday. I'll try again in April on a 60* day. It normally starts fine when its warm out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

216K+ on my 05 OBXT chassis. Pretty sure it has the original starter, which engages/cranks fine but makes nice screeching noises upon disengagement once the motor fires up in the winter. 'New alternator' was in the FS listing when I bought it at ~156k mi (so figure at least ~60k on that alternator).

On 3rd battery since I bought it 3.5 yrs ago. The one in the car died on the dyno during a reflash (good times) a month or so after I took ownership 3.5 yrs ago. The tuner/shop replaced it with a supposedly fresh one from a project car they had in the shop (CarQuest 675 CA 32F, 550 CCA 0F) but it always seemed to be 'weak'. It probably would've gone sooner if I didn't drive the car on the highway nearly every day of the week. Perhaps I should check the output of the alternator, especially because:

Car sat in driveway for ~10 days during the holidays. Wouldn't start last night, barely even had interior lights. Chased down a Duramax 35-DLG from the nearby AutoZone (was going to try an Everstart Maxx from Walmart since it seems to be well liked, but the closest Walmart didn't have them in stock). Swapped it out in the driveway/rain last night (BzzzZZZttTT!! j/k). Should've taken 10-15 min, but took over an hour (rust-frozen rear tie down nut, issue w/ getting the negative terminal clamp to properly tighten, etc).

We'll see if the car kills this brand new battery (I did say perhaps I should check the alternator, it seems to be working or the prev battery wouldn't have lasted 3+ yrs). As far as I can tell I don't see a source for a parasitic drain, but TBH I bet the batt I swapped in last night is the 1st brand new one the car has seen since it was originally put in service by the PO back in 2005.

<off_topic>

I can't remember when I last spent time/$ to make the car faster/better handling... and I still have to replace the humming left rear wheel bearing :)

</off_topic>

I wanted to use my dead battery as an opportunity to try an Interstate Mega-tron, but couldn't find one, needed the car to drive my daughter to school the following morning, and most stores in my area were closing within an hour or so.

I read elsewhere in the forums that for the Group 35 batteries, the Everstart Maxx, Duralast Gold, DieHard Gold and Interstate Mega-tron plus were all highly/equivalently rated (Consumer Reports several years ago though, IIRC), so I went with whichever of those 4 I could get my hands on before the stores closed, and so it was Duralast Gold. The same batt has been in my wife's 08 Acura TL for several years and no issues starting even in 0-10F temps, so hopefully I'll see similar reliability. Or not :)

Replaced my Alt two weeks ago at 147K miles, starter sounds great. I only run Interstate batteries (Megatron version if possible) I never run autozone, Walmart or anything else. Interstate is top notch in my book.

You do realize there are only a couple company's that make all the batteries, right ?

2005 LGT with 157k miles. Just changed the starter. Alternator still putting out just fine.

Same here, except I'm at 168k miles and just replaced the starter last week. It seems these alternators will last a long time.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived