LegacyGT.com

09 LGT rebuilt engine

Planning for a worst-case scenario here...

Driving my 80,000 mile 09 LGT this morning and starts to feel funny, low on power...feels like it might be missing.... Starts to clack and I pull over as soon as I hear it. Get towed home. Now I start it and I get a loud clacking at valve speed. Seems to be coming from left head. Pretty sure I skipped a tooth on the timing belt.

Clacking tells me I am making contact, and thinking back the 'missing' feeling could be caused by an out-of-phase intake cam as the AVCS rotates it. If the problem occurred when I felt the missing, might have gone 15 miles before I heard any noise. Not good.

So the best of the worst case is valves and 2 pistons.

Question....repair or rebuilt engine? Any ideas on where to get a quality rebuild?

And I'll save everyone the trouble....the interval is 60k and it is long gone. I was told it was 90k and it is....Kilometers. I trusted and never verified...and now I'll pay for that mistake.

Any help is appreciated

Oh...and anyone want to recommend a good shop in Bergen County NJ?

Thanks

First off Im assuming check engine light is on, get that read and let us know what the codes are. You may have lost the turbo which therefore compromised the longblock assembly.

It all depends on budget/down time/etc. If money is not an issue order a built one from importimage or some other reputable vendor. If time isnt an issue, pull the old motor and have some-one go through it and see how bad it is. PM Maxcapacity he did shortblock swap and it was very well documented for parts/labor/advice he can give you link.

My .02 since Im assuming money is somewhat of a factor- search Nasioc for new or rebuilt short-block. or pheonix performance is on here too. I saw a set of turbo heads on craigslist in CT for like $150 for the set. Get both and have a good shop check the heads, put the block and heads together with some ARP bolts/cometic gaskets and call your local tuner!!

First off Im assuming check engine light is on, get that read and let us know what the codes are. You may have lost the turbo which therefore compromised the longblock assembly.

It all depends on budget/down time/etc. If money is not an issue order a built one from importimage or some other reputable vendor. If time isnt an issue, pull the old motor and have some-one go through it and see how bad it is. PM Maxcapacity he did shortblock swap and it was very well documented for parts/labor/advice he can give you link.

My .02 since Im assuming money is somewhat of a factor- search Nasioc for new or rebuilt short-block. or pheonix performance is on here too. I saw a set of turbo heads on craigslist in CT for like $150 for the set. Get both and have a good shop check the heads, put the block and heads together with some ARP bolts/cometic gaskets and call your local tuner!!

Actually, no check engine light. Car cranks and starts fine, except for the clanking.

Money is not the 1st priority, but logistics is an issue. This is my daily driver and I work 40 miles from home, so a rental is going to add significantly to the costs.

Worried about a reputable shop, don't want a Jiffy-lube caliber mechanic. I do all my own maintenance so I have never never developed a relationship with a shop. I need to get over the sting of this and get the thinking cap on. If I can deal with the logistics then I can part with the car for a long time if needed.

Thanks

Archived