LegacyGT.com

GAS ATTENDANT PUT 89! NOT 93 and Im running stage 2 Tune?!?!

I have an 05 legacy gt, catless uppipe, high flow cat downpipe, and cobb 93 stage 2 Tune.

My tank was low, gas light was on, i asked to fill it up premium 93, he pressed 89 instead, I didn't notice until about $14 dollars in, I stopped it at $15, I now have a quarter tank of 89 octane gas, what should I do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

anyone have any suggestions ive only driven .5 mile to my house, i dont know what the best option to do is, im pretty pissed off right now, i figure return the ECU to stock map and just fill it up with 93, and pray for the best, stm25rs recommend i go to a 91 octance stage 2 tune and take it easy on the car....

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated

THANKS!!!

Top off with 93 like mentioned, switch back to the Cobb 91 stage 2 map and enjoy driving like a Camry for a little while. Fill back up again at half a tank with 93 and you should be OK.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Yea I figured that's the best idea, I was gonna reset it completely to stock ecu, then fill it up with 93, what's better to do?

Are you talking about the stock mode map or uninstalling the AP and totally reverting to stock ecu?

I'm hoping somebody more knowledgeable than myself will chime in, but I'd think you'd want the 91 octane stage 2. Whether you go to cobb's stock mode or uninstall the AP entirely, the stock (or stock mode) map is for 93 octane, with no exhaust mods. It seems to me like the 91 octane stage 2 would be closest to the conditions you have with 1/4 tank @ 89 and 3/4 tank @ 93.

If the math to calculate octane blends is straight forward 0.25*89+.75*93 = 92 octane, so you'll be good on the 91 map. However, I'm not sure if there are some sort of scale factors, or if octane is a non-linear scale, etc.

• Moderators

I definitely wouldn't recommend flashing back to a stock tune with stage 2 parts installed. Two options in my opinion:

1) Burn off what's in the tank while driving very easy. Fill up with 93 and carry on as normal.

2) Fill the rest of the tank with 93 and take it easy for the tank. Fill up with 93 and carry on as normal.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Some states require them, like Oregon. You can't pump your own gas even if you wanted to. I guess its either the fault of the paternalist government nincompoops caving into the environmentalist worries that you might pump gas into a creek or something, or unions.

Put something in it with a bit of an octane booster and don't worry about it. You should be driving on the 91 map anyway. The 93 map is a bit too close to the edge. Put a can of Berryman Chemtool B12 in it (toluene in it to help boost octane) and drive it normally but NOT like you're on a racetrack. You're not going to destroy it with one tank of gas.

Some states require them, like Oregon. You can't pump your own gas even if you wanted to. I guess its either the fault of the paternalist government nincompoops caving into the environmentalist worries that you might pump gas into a creek or something, or unions.

Yup. . .figured that out the hard way.

Driving cross country from WA to TN and stopped to fill up in Oregon. . . like a good little country boy I grab the pump handle and start to fill my car up. Attendant comes running out yelling like he caught me cornholing his mom.

Driving cross country from WA to TN and stopped to fill up in Oregon. . . like a good little country boy I grab her pump handle and start to fill my car up. Attendant comes running out yelling because he caught me cornholing his mom.

Fixed FTW ! ! ! :lol:

Driving cross country from WA to TN and stopped to fill up in Oregon. . . like a good little country boy I grab the pump handle and start to fill my car up. Attendant comes running out yelling like he caught me cornholing his mom.

:sly::eek::confused::D

I would just drive it normal till you hit the gas light again. Do not put full boost on the car and when you finally need to fill up again I would reset the ecu to clear what the ecu learned from the lower oct fuel.

I've run full tanks of 91 before on my stage 2 car tuned to 93 octane without any issues. There's a lot of places in the US that don't carry anything higher than 91, especially in rural areas.

Top it off with 93 and you'll be just fine.

If you really have to drive easy with a lower grade gas than the tune calls for, I guess the tuner writes the knock sensor out of the code. :rolleyes:

The ECU will see knock and it will pull timing and boost and add fuel accordingly until it doesn't see knock anymore. The first time you get into boost, it'll probably sense some knock and pull back some power until it goes without knock for a while.

I say drive normally to the gas station, fill with 93, and carry on with your life. It's really not that big of a deal. You're likely on winter blend gas anyway which isn't as potent as summer blend from the start.

Sheesh, you will be fine, just top off with 93. In colorado all we get at the pump is 91, and our cars aren't exploding.

It's actually 89 the guy put in, never said my car was gonna explode, I was just mad cause ive always used 93

Archived