LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed 08+ WRX/LGT Top Mount Intercooler - Any Interest?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys! Very sorry for neglecting lgt.com like I have! We've been swamped recently with all kinds of projects and year-end stuff, but I've finally got some time to finish crushing this TMIC and pushing it to production! The quote from NASIOC give a pretty good idea of what the current status is. Meetings with our foundry this week.

NYX - That's a WRX/STI fitment. Note, piping and ducting are not included in that price - both would be required for an LGT/08+Forester & WRX TMIC, so plan the price-point realism a bit higher than RSD has them listed..

This is accurate. This fitment will require the use of custom mounting brackets and silicone. We will likely sell the upgraded splitter and the 'sti turbo style' silicone hose separately. I like this structure, as it keeps you from needing to go 'all-in' right off the bat. I know how these more expensive mods can be harder to save for. I can't really comment on the pricing, but it will be structured the same way that all of our pricing is, so for what you get, the value will be the same as the 02-07 TMIC.

Apologies, I was just posting that for a price comparison to what they currently sell.

But wait, you are saying is that the one I have posted is for the core only? And you have to buy an extra "fit kit" to make it work?

I think this was answered, but no, the 02-07 re-uses stock STI couplers and such.

Gotcha, so safe to say around $900.

If we assume that the cost to manufacture the core and end tanks is the same as the 02-07 (it'll likely be a touch higher, as the end tanks are much more complex to cast) and add the cost of the brackets, silicone hoses, t-bolt clamps and stainless steel threaded inserts, this is probably not tooo far off. The splitter would add a bit more, obviously. MSRP on the PW unit is $1100 and I am really, really trying to create a setup that will cost closer to $900-1000. The challenge here is that our design and manufacturing methods are both much better and more costly, so it's not a matter of 'do the same thing but cheaper'. I'll continue working hard to bring you guys a killer option and we'll see where the chips fall! I'm excited!

Thanks for the updates GS guys. At this point, after searching for a PW for almost a month, I am going to pull the trigger on an FMS front mount. I don't really want a front mount, but at the same time I don't want to spend $700+ on a tiny AVO or Perrin when the FMIC can be had for the same. If and when this is ever available, put me on the list to buy one. Thanks and keep the R & D going.

Our pleasure - sorry that we don't have an option for you guys just yet! I own both of the other units that you mentioned and I think that the path that you chose to take is probably not terrible. I much prefer a tmic, but if you're gonna go that route, you may as well wait for exactly what you want. One word of warning - be sure to flush/blow/clean the FMS parts thoroughly before use. I've seen some gnarly stuff come out of those tubes.

Solidworks ftw

That core is huuuuugggeee :dm:

Thanks for the kind words! It is indeed a bit larger than the PW in all dimensions, but more importantly, it's properly designed. Two cores with the same external dimensions can behave very, very differently!

Matt Beenen

Engineering

Thanks for the updates GS. I will be buying one of these when you make them available. In my situation I ended up with the FMS TMIC, and as others have said, the Splitter is no where close to working and I had to dig out several handfuls of packing peanuts out of the core.. I think I can hack it to fit but I want a proper piece of hardware for the car. Keep us updated so I can sell the FMS TMIC and get the GrimmSpeed TMIC on there.

can't wait to see all the "other brand" TMICs for sale in the classifieds once this hits the market.

Exactly, who do I need to make friends with at GS to get a three day lead lol

Haha, how about I give you guys a heads up? We'll host a group buy for you guys too, so that might be a good time to get a jump on the used market. :cool:

Matt Beenen

Engineering

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/images/tmic_subaru_08_teaser5.jpg

From the looks of the inlet placement I would think it wouldn't be a stretch for these to work on 5th Gen LGT's and the 2015 WRX. Those models would probably just need a custom charge pipe from the low mount turbo. Which Grimmspeed should also fab up.

Looks similar to the Hyperflow TMIC, just wider. Which I think is a good look for Grimmspeed because they'll sell more units from a cross -platforming design.

http://hyperflow.com.au/site_images/products/large/96_4.jpg

Won't be exactly easy. I can tell you with the Process West, which is a large core that is over the turbo side more, that you have to do it by feel and it's tight quarters. I bent my dipstick handle a bit to ease removal and to clear the TMIC.

I have a spearco tmic and it is even bigger than the process west. It actually looks similar to the grimmspeed one above.
I really hope it is not that big, I would not prefer my TMIC to be sitting directly over my turbo.

You may have to look for an alternative location for AOSes, but think GS has built current firewall-mounted versions into their modeling. Could be wrong on this latter bit, but should be simple enough to lengthen vacuum and breather lines (and coolant lines on a Crawford V2) and relocate the catch can.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -