LegacyGT.com

hickup at 2500 rpms

I was out of town for a week then I come back and drive and notice just below 2500 rpms to about 3000 I have a loss of power. it has to little peaks between there in the loss of power it seems like so it surges. it is most noticeable in 2nd gear. anyone have something like this happen? I have a ebay scan tool and poked around nothing looked to suspicious. was looking for vacuum leaks and cleaned the egr with no luck. can you use a air compressor to safely check for vac leaks?

Do you have main bearing noise or piston slap?? Sometimes that can set the knock sensor off and derate the engine. the 2000-3000 is a famous place for this to occour.

Apparently there is a way to calibrate your TPS. If the hesistation is consistent, your throttle position sensor could have a dead spot.

I have some piston slap some times cold but didn't notice it starting it the first start. how long should it take to reset the knock sensor if that was the case. the tps doesn't have any dead spots checked with scan tool. it will hesitate at different openings too

I have the same hesitation except at lower rpm. It also does hesitate at 2500 ish but less severe. I am going to try another ignition coil hopefully that clears up the problem. my car also leaks around the valve cover gasket seals and oil gets into the spark plugs. I'm not sure if that is causing misfires or not. My car has piston slap as well... But it is marginal.

Weird problem but just curious. Is the heat on and is it on defrost? Reason I ask is if its on defrost, which is heat to the windshield only, the AC compressor will kick in just as it would if it were summer and the AC was on. I'm thinking maybe your feeling the surge from this. I know on my 2.2 it was really noticeable when the AC was on. My 2.5 it's still noticeable but not as much.

its running good now. i changed the oil a few weeks ago and i spilt oil on the cam positioning sensor right below it. sprayed some maf cleaner on it before i left on my trip and got back to Cheney with no hesitation.

Archived