LegacyGT.com

This is why you don't want a "Flex" up pipe

jplooch

Just installed the MR up pipe in my car 2 weeks ago. I had some exhaust leaks so I took the UP and DP off so i could fit OEM gaskets all around and torque everything properly now that I have a torque wrench.

Was getting all set to reinstall the UP when i looked down inside it, what I saw did not give me the warm fuzzies. The flex section of the pipe was blocking 80% of the pipe, it appeared to have bulged into the up pipe blocking most of the pipe. You can see in the pictures that there's just a samll hole left for the exhaust to get through. I was wondering why I didn't seem to notice a big performance improvement in my UP/DP AP Stage II combo, now I know, between my exhaust leak and the UP being mostly blocked my turbo was probably not making anywhere near the proper boost. I'm going to send Paul (Boostjunkie) a PM and see if I'm just a lucky defective UP owner or if this is a known issue with flex up pipes. Glad I took it off before shards of metal started blowing into my Turbo (not to say that hasn't already happened somewhat.

100_2359_small.jpg.a58deb0ef8ae16b7c5c143ba00b7d22e.jpg

100_2363_small.jpg.7b13c85e4557f4521c9e520066518b1a.jpg

Responded to your PM. As I mentioned in the PM, I have seen this happen once before. I have installed ALOT of MR UP's, so I would definitely file it as a rare/freak incident. I'd hazard a guess that the chance of a rigid UP leaking is waaaay higher than the flex coming apart again ;) I'll get a new one out to you ASAP.

I was the other one with this issue. Mine wasn't fitting right, kept leaking. Paul sent me a new uppipe and it seems to be working fine now. The scary thing though is that I have a boost gauge and the car was still putting out close to normal boost, but yeah, I'm still a little uncomfortable having a flex uppipe in there.

Responded to your PM. As I mentioned in the PM, I have seen this happen once before. I have installed ALOT of MR UP's, so I would definitely file it as a rare/freak incident. I'd hazard a guess that the chance of a rigid UP leaking is waaaay higher than the flex coming apart again ;) I'll get a new one out to you ASAP.

damn!

BJ i was planning on buying both the MR dp and up ... so i just want to know how the heck that happens?

From the factory up-pipe i have seen, GTTuner and captainmorgan are both right.

The outer portion is formed into a "bellows" configuration and the inner portion uses an inner and outer tube which "telescope" inside the expandable/contractable outer bellows tube.

well, i think one things for certain. They can all freakin leak. i had a flex with a bulge AND a leak. WOOHOO! Basically boils down to the difference between vehicles and how meticulous the installer is. I wasn't as meticulous as I should have been the first time but this time i'll be going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

Most exhaust flex sections I've had do not expose the flex on the inside of the pipe. Many, like my best recollection of my cheapie ebay UP, have a metal spiral inside the flex so it's basically double-walled.

I like flex joints for vibration resistance and the stress they keep off the other exhaust components.

Archived