LegacyGT.com

After market lug nuts

bluechipbmw

I recently purchased a new set of rims (Prodrive PFF7's). The lugnuts were provided to me from the vendor. I have never seen lug nuts like this before...these lug nuts have grooves where this tool fits into. These are not the locks but it looks like it can act like one since this little tool is required.

But anyway...my point is that yesterday I got flat tire on my way home from work. I didnt realize until yesterday that the stock lug wrench does not fit this tool. So I was stuck on the road.

My point is if anyone has after market lugnuts because you changed your wheels make sure the stock lug wrench fits the lugnut or the tool needed to remove the lugnuts.

I keep one of these in each car to avoid just the issue you had:

http://data.solidcactus.com/cjimages/autobarn/ral90796.gif

hey PGT, funny thing is I tried to order one of those a couple of days ago from that autobarn link that you had from before but it's no longer on their website. What brand is that and where else can i find one?

The brand is 'Rally'. I got mine from Advance Auto Parts. Just do a web search for 'rally folding lug wrench' - I'd be happy to part with one of mine, as I like Keefe's idea of the breaker bar + socket (now that I have a breaker bar ;) ). Since the Mini lacks a spare, it won't matter if I have the wrench in the car, as I would have to get the mini spare from the garage anyways (swapped out run-flats for real tires).

I used to have those type of lug nuts in my older car. They are tuner lugnuts usually made by Gorilla or another manufacturer. The tool I had was both for 19MM and 21MM wrenches so it fit both. Does yours have that? I never had any issues.

The folding cross bar looks sweet!

And how did you get a flat? Did you hit something? And did you use Subaru's road assistance? Like to know how their service is.

X

---

Hey Laz - I was driving home from CT and felt/heard something funny. When I pulled over realized my tire was completely flat. I checked the tire for nails or a puncture but didn't find any.

I went to this place in Brooklyn today and found out the valve actually broke. I'm not sure what might have caused this but I am glad that I ddin't damage the rim and didnt have the to replace the tire!

I was tempted to call the roadside assistance yesterday but my cousin wasnt to far so I gave him a call instead. It would have been good to see how the road side assistance service is.

The tool I have only fits 21MM and I believe the lug wrench is for 19MM. So looks like I am going today to buy one. And also putting a full size spare most likely my stock tire even though it's 17" better than a donut!

I used to have those type of lug nuts in my older car. They are tuner lugnuts usually made by Gorilla or another manufacturer. The tool I had was both for 19MM and 21MM wrenches so it fit both. Does yours have that? I never had any issues.

The folding cross bar looks sweet!

And how did you get a flat? Did you hit something? And did you use Subaru's road assistance? Like to nkow how their service is.

X

FWIW, Harbor Freight has had their torque wrench on sale for $10. I bought three of them, and I keep one in each car.

That's a smart man.

I use McGard SplineDrive Lug nuts with locking nuts. Just be prepared for such things.. sometimes I have a bottle of fix-a-flat in the car to save myself the trouble of finding a leak. I know the tire shop I take my flats to (knock on wood that I dont get one) takes their time cleaning everything out and clean my air valves.

Keefe

I carry both, the breaker bar doesn't take up much space.

you're right, that's what that trunk tray is for. I also keep a small tool case for 10mm sockets and the such for the battery terminals as well. A small box of spare fuses, and possibly even a pair of headlights/foglight bulbs in the trunk tray helps for all those other nights. That trunk tray is awesome.

Keefe

you're right, that's what that trunk tray is for. I also keep a small tool case for 10mm sockets and the such for the battery terminals as well. A small box of spare fuses, and possibly even a pair of headlights/foglight bulbs in the trunk tray helps for all those other nights. That trunk tray is awesome.

My trunk tray doesn't fit anymore since I decided to go with a full size spare rather than a donut.

Archived