LegacyGT.com

Is stage 1 safe?

LieutenantDan

• Mega Users

I figured this would make for some good discussion.

Is stage 1 safe?

I'm concerned about the higher flow of exhaust into the stock catalytic converter of the downpipe.

Will the 2 converters create backpressure on the hotside impeller and wastegate? Is that boost creep?

I know I can easily go stage 2 but I don't want to have to worry about that much extra power on my stock

transmission, brakes, suspension, etc. Which I'd really like to keep stock(spendy). I just had to replace my

blown stock VF 40 w/ a VF40-18g + STi Uppipe + Stage 1 Tune thru Infamous1. I know that it is safe with

the tuning and all that. Just a thought

Respond Away

You will blow up your car, don't do it !!

Either that or an angel will lose its wings.

But in all seriousness, I think you'll be more than fine. Stage 1 isn't that aggressive so long as your tuner doesn't go crazy.

my car blew up last week from stg 1....jk,

shouldn't be a problem, unless you have an Auto, then add the tranny cooler and you'll be fine. Also, if you saw how bad the tune is from the factory, you would have switched to stg 1 when you bought the car. It is downright horrible. My stage 1 is more safe than the factory(IMHO), if you seen my logs then you would know what I mean.

I JUST NOW installed my AP for stage 1 and WOW it's awesome! I am bone stock (ok not bone stock I have a GFB BOV but that doesn't really count) still and the gains were very noticeable to me. I am happy with it so far!

Well N00Bs will always be noobs and not search.

But yes it is safe. Very safe. And an OTS (off the shelf as in Accessport maps from Cobb) should be safer still since they are generic hence designed to accommodate a wide range of cars with more or less similar mods. Thus there is a wider "safe" margin compared to pro-tuned car which has a safe margin more narrowly defined and custom-made for that car and those mods at the time.

I just went stage 1 a little less than a month ago in my 06 OBXT and then soon after got a road tune from Infamous1, and what a difference. Much more fun to drive, and my gas mileage went up about 4-5 mpg on the highway. I was apprehensive to do it at first especially with a extended warranty, but it was worth every penny I have spent on it. Oh yah like dwolson said you need a tranny cooler for the 5EAT.

I just went stage 1 a little less than a month ago in my 06 OBXT and then soon after got a road tune from Infamous1, and what a difference. Much more fun to drive, and my gas mileage went up about 4-5 mpg on the highway. I was apprehensive to do it at first especially with a extended warranty, but it was worth every penny I have spent on it. Oh yah like dwolson said you need a tranny cooler for the 5EAT.

:whore:He's #1 tuner:wub:

If only there were other threads created over the last 5 years discussing this very issue.... hmmmmm.

This one is actually a bit different since he has a vf40-18g, I wouldn't want to run that with an OTS stg 1 map ;)

As I always preach...I wouldn't trust any map (no matter what company or who does it) until you learn to log and check it for yourself (knock, etc.). If you're going to start playing with your car, at least learn the basics of checking for a safe tune. My 2 cents. (I'm sure guys like Infamous can walk you through what to look for if you buy a tune from him. Read LtBlue's sticky on knock, Merchgod's info, etc.)

Did another set of logs today, and found a few knocks with the mickeyd's tune. It was about 70 and very sunny. all of the logs were after driving 2 hours, so the car was definitely at operating temp. But I was also making more boost than last time. I did switch to a drop in K&N, so that's probably where the numbers are changing, since i had the stock filter with no problem

Archived