LegacyGT.com

1992 Subaru Needs Help!

alex16

Hi, I'm new to this forum.. I recently recieved this 1992 Subaru Legacy for basicly free from a friend whom was fed up with it. It has 140k miles 5 speed non turbo. When I went to go take a look at it broken down in the parking lot i quickly repaired a new fuel pump installed incorectly (two wires +/- were not in correct place) and was off on my way. But the car idled very poorly and had almost no power with a top speed of 75mph and about 8mpg. I drove it like this for aprox a week because I had no other form of transportation at the time.. besides my race preped ae86 which had no heater and it was like 20 degrees outside. I began having trouble starting it the day it quit on me.. It was getting way to much fuel and I would unplug the fuel pump... turn it over till it fired up and re plug it back in. Finally this stoped working. I am not sure what to do or how to diagnos this car because this is my very first Subaru.

Possible problems: I think its a fuel pressure regulator? A old Subaru tech told me it could be a fuel pump relay or ecu or something of that nature. Anyone else out there whom has experienced this problem? Thanks :) I'll post a few pictures up eventually... its 2wd also, 2.5L engine.

I dont think it can be a fuse (fuel pump still works fine)... its just getting too much fuel. It fouled out plugs within 30 seconds. I am going to re set the ecu and try that...."of course you should change the wires to the correct polarity first." ??? You mean on the fuel pump? Because if the wires were not correct it would not pump fuel into the engine rather it would pump it back into the tank which would cause it not to run at all and it did for about a week because I fixed this problem. The fuel pump is coming on fine, energizes for about 5-8 seconds when first turned to start position like most cars, and cuts off until you try to crank then turns back on. I am still leaning towards a fuel pressure regulator but has anyone else have a simular problem like this?

Archived