LegacyGT.com

DP & Emissions in CO

SmackDaddy

I love the idea of a catless DP, but am not interested in swapping it back to stock every couple years for emissions testing. Does anyone have experience using those drive-by emissions vans with success so you can avoid going to the emissions testing facilities in Colorado?

From regular driving, I've only had one drive-by renewal in the past 12 years. You can test your luck by following the test vans:

http://aircarecolorado.com/locations-and-maps/truck-locations/

http://aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/

Yea I knew about the links above that provide locations, but I didn't know if anyone had any success with a catless system and utilizing the drive-by locations or not. I seem to drive by those things all the time by accident, and hence have not had to visit an emissions testing facility for years. Now that I have my LGT and the need for more speed, I was curious if anyone had tried this method or not.

Thanks for the input.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had 3 different cars that wouldn't pass emissions at the shops but passed using the mobile vans. When you drive past one, take the car out of gear and your foot completely off the gas before you get to it and coast through and past it about 10-15 feet and unless they've made some incredible new advancement in the technology you should be fine.

Might sound stupid but it worked for me on each car the 5+ years I had them but it's worth a shot regardless, as it will have to be done one way or the other.

EDIT:

However, A lot of experienced/knowledgeable guys on here will tell you that having no cat doesn't yield any substantial gains over having a high-flow cat for street driving/moderate HP applications.

I've had 3 different cars that wouldn't pass emissions at the shops but passed using the mobile vans. When you drive past one, take the car out of gear and your foot completely off the gas before you get to it and coast through and past it about 10-15 feet and unless they've made some incredible new advancement in the technology you should be fine.

Might sound stupid but it worked for me on each car the 5+ years I had them but it's worth a shot regardless, as it will have to be done one way or the other.

EDIT:

However, A lot of experienced/knowledgeable guys on here will tell you that having no cat doesn't yield any substantial gains over having a high-flow cat for street driving/moderate HP applications.

That little trick has to take some of the fun out of an on ramp, but may very well be worth it if it saves the effort of a swap. Although the additional cost of high-flow catted is understood, weighing that makes me think a swap every couple years isn't so horrible.

I have a proper solution if you are interested.

I'm properly interested.

If your car is OBDI (1996 and older) you can usually pass the test on a traditional high flow race cat. These cost around $75.

If you have an OBDII car (1996 and newer) You need either you stock Downpipe with both functioning cats or you need an EPA approved Gesi race cat. These cats cost around $430, are not a restriction to flow, and pass emissions with flying colors. I have customers pushing 500 HP through a single cat, and still pass emissions.

If you are interested in one of these cats, the average installed cost on a Subaru is $650.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I have a perrin shorty dp and greddy evo 2 the rest of the way. I stalked the van at 1-70 west bound from i-25 north bound and have never needed to get emissions. Others havent been so lucky in that regards. I also heard from some friends who used to work at the testing station at 52nd and marshall that if you make sure to drive by the vans constantly 3 months before your tags are up then you have a better chance of passing the road side.

If your car is OBDI (1996 and older) you can usually pass the test on a traditional high flow race cat. These cost around $75.

If you have an OBDII car (1996 and newer) You need either you stock Downpipe with both functioning cats or you need an EPA approved Gesi race cat. These cats cost around $430, are not a restriction to flow, and pass emissions with flying colors. I have customers pushing 500 HP through a single cat, and still pass emissions.

If you are interested in one of these cats, the average installed cost on a Subaru is $650.

It's a 2005 so, OBDII. Where are the cats in this system? That sounds intriguing...

Referencing below, how would it compare to the the Perrin catted 2-piece sytem (or just the shorty)?

I have a perrin shorty dp and greddy evo 2 the rest of the way. I stalked the van at 1-70 west bound from i-25 north bound and have never needed to get emissions. Others havent been so lucky in that regards. I also heard from some friends who used to work at the testing station at 52nd and marshall that if you make sure to drive by the vans constantly 3 months before your tags are up then you have a better chance of passing the road side.

The 2-piece Perrin sounds intriguing. Does the shortpipe with the Greddy fit fairly well? A quick search doesn't really demonstrate if it's a complete fit. The Greddy states "cat-back" but does that work with the shorty for real?

you know to be honest I'm not sure about availability of either the Perrin or the greddy its been on my leggo for a long time. It fits like a glove. Just a simple two piece setup, the down pipe and the catback. I will say though if I had to go in for the visual I'm fairly certain they would tell me to leave. It def has some rumble to it and the tips are 4" dia. Its really hit or miss with everyone from what I've seen. Really in the end if you want to be fool proof and not have to worry about it listen to mike aka mwiener2 he knows what he's talking about. Otherwise you can do what others do and when emissions rolls around swap dp's and throw a milder tune on it or stalk road side's every day and cross your fingers. Good luck either way.

The perrin 2-piece is one of those performance parts that doesn't make sense. It has 2 standard, non-EPA compliant, $75 cats on it. Two cats in series are exactly why you remove the stock downpipe... to free up flow.

Some people are able to pass with this setup, but more fail than pass. A lot more.

There is only one catalytic converter on the market that is an EPA Approved high flow race cat. It is made by Gesi. This is the only cat you can have installed on your car that makes it emissions legal. Anything else you do is technically not legal.

Every car I have installed one of these cats on has passed the rolling dyno test at the air care facilities. It is the only true solution to legally pass emissions and be emissions legal 100% of the time.

This isn't a gimmick like the bottle of magic stuff you pour in the gas tank. It's simply new technology that is finally becoming widespread.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived