LegacyGT.com

Hawk pads for the track?

peteyjr

Doing a high speed track day in two weeks. Thinking of changing out the pads for that day and getting dedicated track pads. Already have the Hawk HPS with DBA 4000's, SS lines and motul fluid. They work decently in the autocross circuit I do monthly. Now that I'm tracking the car I want to step up. Is the HT 10 a good choice

step up?

HPS -> HP+ -> DTC30 -> HT10

you have 2 steps in between. i did my first event with HP+ and they are fine even being daily driven.

the dtc-30s sort of warped my rotors because of my rushed bedding job. so be careful bedding in track pads. u can heatshock the rotors if u dont bring the rotors to temp before bedding.

i would go no "lite"-r than hp+ but HT10 might be overkill for a beginner.

car for sale. PM me!

Carbotechs are quite nice

Agreed.

They're fairly low wear to the rotors too. Not that it matters that much as LGT rotors crack before they get too thin.

XP-8 or XP-10 really are perfect for street tires. They function very well cold, which means you can swap them and drive them to the track. They also have very high fade resistance and lots of intial bite.

I'm no beginner and used to track a modded BMW in the BMWCCA in the 90's .Did a few track events with my WRX as well. I fully remember having my brakes to the floor on more than one occasion at Sebring . My LGT is more capable and will be running Kuhmo Victoracers. Since I'll be running this event at Homestead raceway I may try it with the HPS's or go to HP + . Eventually I may switch to the carbotech full time as a compromise between street and track . Sounds like too much trouble with bed in switching out pads if I only track 3-4 times a year . Autocross is not nearly as demanding on brakes.

I'm only finding the DCT 60's and and 70's which sound like overkill.

XP-8 or XP-10 really are perfect for street tires. They function very well cold, which means you can swap them and drive them to the track. They also have very high fade resistance and lots of intial bite.

They function OK cold... not well. They're fine to use to drive to the track and back, but I would NOT use them as street pads.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

They function OK cold... not well. They're fine to use to drive to the track and back, but I would NOT use them as street pads.

I disagree. My XP10s have more cold bite than my HPS or Bobcats.

I still wouldn't street them due to noise and dust, but otherwise, nothing is wrong with them, at least at non-winter temps.

The interesting thing is that between bobcats and XP-10s they only need one bed in. No bed in between pad switches.

I have been running with just the HPS pads since i have not had money to do a dedicated track pad yet, and while there is certainly something to be desired with them, they do fine. I have the same brake mods as you, SS lines and good fluid and i get no brake fad after 30 minute sessions at Portland International Raceway.

You could always do a track day with the HPS pads and see what you think, I would step up but if this is your first track day in this car get used to the pads you have which will still work fine, then upgrade as you see fit.

On stock power you shouldn't need more than HP+ pads.

-mike

at the same time i dont see the HPS cutting it either.

especially since he will be carrying some speed.

not a track expert though. i just know the HPS were not happy during my autocross so i dont want to even think about tracking them.

car for sale. PM me!

I have been running with just the HPS pads since i have not had money to do a dedicated track pad yet, and while there is certainly something to be desired with them, they do fine. I have the same brake mods as you, SS lines and good fluid and i get no brake fad after 30 minute sessions at Portland International Raceway.

You could always do a track day with the HPS pads and see what you think, I would step up but if this is your first track day in this car get used to the pads you have which will still work fine, then upgrade as you see fit.

i've run HPS during a track weekend. In the rain on street tires. They faded.

Admittedly, this was blackhawk, which isn't easy on tires, but I'd avoid tracking HPS.

At minimum, bring some backup pads as you'll burn through streets pretty quick.

On stock power you shouldn't need more than HP+ pads.

-mike

I'm not sure what power has to do with it (at least with in reason). The differences in speeds at the ends of straights between stock and stg 1 won't be more than 5 mph.

Has more to do with tires, how deep you brake, track (ask me about trashing a new set of XP-10s in a weekend at Mid-america), and how you manage your brakes than anything.

Thanks for all the input guys, I just ordered a set of HP+ for the fronts and mat leave them in there. Just want to make sure as I like to go fast , brake very late and challenge those pesky STI's running around. I'm at stage 2 + power and it pulls pretty good. The only problem is that this is the hottest month here in South fla. Luckily the AVO TMIC helps quite a bit.

Archived