LegacyGT.com

2013 Legacy Brake Pedal Noise

Just purchased a new 2013 Legacy Limited a few weeks ago (this is my fifth Subaru)!!! I've noticed that the brake pedal clunks when releasing it. Has anyone else notice this? My 2009 and 2005 don't do this. Was wondering if anyone has noticed this?

Thanks In Advance....

Search this forum. It was widely discussed a year or more ago. The last time I asked the dealer I was told it was the noise of the master cylinder 'clicking' open/shut when you brake. It was apparently considered 'normal' operation.

Yes, mine does it. I think it is that the pedal moves sideways just a bit when the pressure between your foot and the master cylinder is let off of it. Haven't looked into it yet but may have to. Tried doing it smoothly and it doesn't help. I noticed it does do it more when cold outside. It is annoying.

No, but my clutch squeaks in both directions.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Search this forum. It was widely discussed a year or more ago. The last time I asked the dealer I was told it was the noise of the master cylinder 'clicking' open/shut when you brake. It was apparently considered 'normal' operation.

I searched "Brake Pedal Clunk" ""Brake Pedal" "Brake Pedal Noise" and all that came up was this thread any ideas?

I think someone posted in a previous thread that they had found the cause of the noise.

As far as I can tell most people are talking about a sound which sounds like something hitting something else.

It sounds like it just needs a piece of material to absorb the impact.

I don't think this has anything to do with the master cylinder clicking. It is typical for the dealer to give you an easy answer to brush you off.

Our 2011 does the "clunk" when releasing the pedal rather quickly. I'm pretty sure it is due to the need for a better "Bumper" where the metal brake bracket meets the stop. It's not a huge issue, but it is noticeable, since none of our other vehicles make the sound. I'm pretty sure the fix will be as easy as attaching a better piece of rubber at the point of contact. The sound I hear is definitely not in the master cylinder area. It is directly under the dash, inside the car.

• 3 years later...

Archived