LegacyGT.com

Outback 3.0R VDC steering wheel

Outback 3.0R

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the steering wheel from an Outback 3.0R with a steering wheel from a 3.0R VDC (top half of wheel with wood trim/shift and audio controls) or a 2.5XT (shift controls)? Is the wiring already there or what needs to be done if we would want this mod done?

Has anyone done this or plans to do it? Thanks to all.:)

To clarify, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to get the wheel with the wood grain in your car, or are you trying to get rid of a wood grain wheel and replace it with Leather?

Or are you trying to accomplish something else with the controls in the wheel?

I'd like to know if it possible either way to have a steering wheel with shift controls (auto box of course) installed or only radio controls will work? If I could get the shift controls to work then I would prefer this wheel. If I could only get the radio controls, then I'll problably go with the wood grain.

Thanks.

Ok ... I'm almost certain that the Outback 3.0R won't have the shift controls since you would need to get wiring to go to the ECU, and the ECU probably isn't set up to be able to control the Transmission with steering wheel controls on the 3.0 engine/transmission combo. You can get the wood grain wheel to fit though just fine. I think the wheel comes with the buttons already as one member already did this with his Auto and just swapped his shift buttons back in when he realized he couldn't get the radio controls to work.

I hope that helps.

Archived