LegacyGT.com

need help identifing noise

BlkLegacyGT

there is a noise like two washers clinking togeather, or at least thats what it sounds like. its coming from the front pass. side and it happens when i go over small bumps. i cant see anything broke/loose or damaged bushings. im not sure what kind of shocks or struts are on the car cuz i got it not long ago and the dealer wasnt sure either. but the springs are red/pink. any help or sugestions are appreicated

More info would help that could be a number of things. It could be any of the following.

Struts not properly installed ( I didn't torque my rears enough and it sounded like my spare was loose)

Blown struts (lowering springs on stock struts?)

Ball joints

Sway bar bushings

LCA bushing

Wheel bearing

Axle

something could just need lube

Put your car on a jack and try wiggling the wheel and see if there's any play in it

I think their coilovers, I can adjust the firmness from under the hood. The tool says Koni, so that might be the brand of shock. Not sure on model or strut or if the springs are pinks. Looked on the shock for sticker or part # or serial#. I put it on ramps yesturday but didn't see anything visually wrong. I'll jack it up this afternoon to see if there's any wheel play

Lifetime warranty would be nice, are they still valid even tho I'm not the origanal owner and don't have a receipt? I dunno where they were purchased and I dunno how to go about contacting anybody about the warranty. Should I just call manufacturer? Swaybar and endlinks look good, one of the first things I looked for along with tie rods and all bushings in the general area. I don't know a lot about cars but I know some. Thought I knew quite a bit, till I got a Subaru

Lifetime warranty would be nice, are they still valid even tho I'm not the origanal owner and don't have a receipt? I dunno where they were purchased and I dunno how to go about contacting anybody about the warranty. Should I just call manufacturer? Swaybar and endlinks look good, one of the first things I looked for along with tie rods and all bushings in the general area. I don't know a lot about cars but I know some. Thought I knew quite a bit, till I got a Subaru

LOL....yeah, a lot of conventional thinking goes right out the window with the word SUBARU. Two words you DO need to be very familiar with though when you work on your car, especially where you live:

ANTI SEIZE

Learn them, live them, love them, on EVERYDAMNTHING you take apart.

:)

In regards to your noise, check your heat shields on the exhaust and see if it has rusted through on one side or the other. Sometimes the speed nuts (nuts welded to the shields) can rust loose and they stay on the bolt and rattle around in the hole.

What's the most common to seize? In my area I mostly have worry about someone breaking in, stealing my rims, keying or slashing my tires. But I got security locks on every lugnut

Any nut, bolt, or fitting you remove from your car, remember to put anti seize back on it before you reinstall it. It will save you a ton of grief later on.

If you're mechanically inclined and do most of your own work, look at all of your rear suspension bolts and you'll most likely find them frozen in place. IF you want to keep the car aligned for the rest of the time you own it, remove all of those bolts, slather them in anti seize, and replace them and then have the car aligned to 0 toe in the rear.

Archived