LegacyGT.com

Engine Build (possibly)

Ok, so a guy I know just grenaded his ej255. I got the bottom end and have it split to redo bearings and most likely internals. All I wanna know is if I can do the "high comp" franken motor with this bottom end and slap my j22 phase II heads (sohc single port). I read on NASIOC and rs25 that the ej25 phase II bottom with the 22 phase II heads is where its at. I realize im speed density as well, which makes for a mother to tune.

If this seems like something that wouldn't be worth it, do you guys recommend me just trying to find a gd subframe and just turbo this thing.

I read broknindarkagain'ssticky and was very helpful, hoping he could chime in on this subject.

I want educated opinions from experience/recommendations. Thanks in advanced.

:spin:

(If I go high comp n/a I know I can run the delta ground 2000 and lightweight flywheel, pully and do the mls sti hg. )

And any other recommendations as far as the MAP situation (ideally would like to run this on MS3 standalone)

Honestly wanna challange myself/do something different.

CLEARLY the route with more power would be the turbo setup, as the guy has a td04 and a top mount I could grab. It definitely would be not even close to reliable.

The idea with the N/A build is just something I could overbuild and drive the ever living christ out of.

My budget? Depends on how much ot I can work. I got the ej255 for 50 bucks haha,

By no means am I wealthy but I have nothing but time

222 heads, ported/polished intake, aggressive cams (Delta cuts), MSD ignition coil, custom headers, custom intake & exhaust piping, intake manifold spacers, & lightweight pulleys should ensure that you're at least over 170bhp N/A on the stock ECU running on 91-93 octane. If you had a 253 block, you'd have even more N/A power.

Stock whp is about 103-105.

I said over 170 bhp & the stock rating for our cars is 165 bhp. I was being conservative. He's using a 255 block w/turbo pistons, so he's not going to be reaching 200bhp unless he has thinner gaskets & higher compression pistons (251/253) & even then, he will probably be about 190bhp at best w/tuning.

Im not using 255 internals I think just the crank. One rod is bad and one piston has shrapnel in the wrist pin, so if I find 253 internals and give the heads a little decking I think ill be good.

What HG would you recommend?

I appreciate the help but the concern is just to see if this is a smart route. Im ok with the fact im not going to be having outstanding power numbers.

I just wanna bop around and bounce it off fuel cut every now and again.

Im not using 255 internals I think just the crank. One rod is bad and one piston has shrapnel in the wrist pin, so if I find 253 internals and give the heads a little decking I think ill be good.

What HG would you recommend?

I appreciate the help but the concern is just to see if this is a smart route. Im ok with the fact im not going to be having outstanding power numbers.

I just wanna bop around and bounce it off fuel cut every now and again.

Always use the head gasket intended for the block so 255 gaskets should do fine but if you want a little more power, order them a little thinner than normal. The N/A head gaskets do not match the coolant ports of the 255.

http://youtu.be/PcZYrV-sZ9I

This video is very similar to what you intend to do.

That's sick..

Now if I run the stock ECU would I have to reset it so it could learn the values?

Also, im assuming I don't have to mmerge any harness parts because its the same head and intake mani, (recommend another intake mani besides mine?)

Just the msd coil you have to wire

I have a set of h-beam rods that will fit your build perfect if you do with the ej251 pistons. You will be around 10.8:1 CR with ej25d heads or 11.5:1 with ej22e heads. Talk to baddog about the build, I know he did something very similar.

I have a set of h-beam rods that will fit your build perfect if you do with the ej251 pistons. You will be around 10.8:1 CR with ej25d heads or 11.5:1 with ej22e heads. Talk to baddog about the build, I know he did something very similar.

Anticipating use of 222 heads and the 255 bottom.

Subikid, any recommendations of where to find 251 pistons, or at least point me in the general area.

Anything goofy I need to do to the hg so it has the same cooling routing as the heads?

And im assuming with a higher CR engine temp in the combust chamber will increase as well?

That's sick..

Now if I run the stock ECU would I have to reset it so it could learn the values?

Also, im assuming I don't have to mmerge any harness parts because its the same head and intake mani, (recommend another intake mani besides mine?)

Just the msd coil you have to wire

You'll have to reset it to learn the new values of the engine & you won't have to merge anything if you're using the stock heads & wiring from the car which they came.

If anything, a 251 or 253 intake would probably be a little better than the 222 (more air = more power/tq).

If you're using all of your 99 heads, wiring, & such (don't forget to swap crank gears from the 222 block to the 255 so that the ECU is able to recognize & run it), then you should be all set to start building.

Subikid, any recommendations of where to find 251 pistons, or at least point me in the general area.

Anything goofy I need to do to the hg so it has the same cooling routing as the heads?

And im assuming with a higher CR engine temp in the combust chamber will increase as well?

The pistons will have to be ordered from the factory or an aftermarket company that makes them.

As for the head gasket, you should buy a thin 255 gasket but a 251 gasket will work fine.

The temperature in the combustion chamber will be dangerously high @ 11.5:1 so tread w/caution & use the highest octane available. If you can get down to 10.5:1, you'll be safer. Research says that 12:1 is the absolute maximum our N/A engines can handle & at that point, you have to use a stand-alone unit.

As for the head gasket, you should buy a thin 255 gasket but a 251 gasket will work fine.

The temperature in the combustion chamber will be dangerously high @ 11.5:1 so tread w/caution & use the highest octane available. If you can get down to 10.5:1, you'll be safer. Research says that 12:1 is the absolute maximum our N/A engines can handle & at that point, you have to use a stand-alone unit.

Then would running a thicker HG resolve the high CR? Or is it not safe due to the high compression and yield to blow out?

If I could get around 11:1 id be a happy camper. But like you say if I can sneak away with 11.5:1 id like that. I love the way strung out N/A motors sound, let alone horizontally opposing ones.

:spin:

For pistons you could do OEM 251 pistons, but you might want to look into a custom set of pistons. With high compression you see much higher cylinder pressure which is what breaks ringlands.

Mind you my car is speed density and has the MAP. Is that going to pose an issue with crankcase vacuum being different? (Or maybe its the same?)

Crankcase vacciim is not even a read value on these cars. Cause there is none. If anything there is pressure from blow by

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

Cuz i dont have a F**KING MAF SENSOR! Lol.

I know for the same fact as i know my name its speed density.

Its a Brighton with a the 222.

This is my intake plumbing as follows:

Atmosphere>air filter>intake tubing>throttle body>intake mani> BOOM!

Archived