LegacyGT.com

Window scratches from rolling down.

I remeber reading a thread where the guy was discussing the windows on his Subie that had scratches from some kind of "dirty pads" on the inside of the window rolling mechanism. My windows are all pretty much screwed and the doors have so much dents in them they are beyond repair so I am buying the doors off an 99' Outback wag. After inspecting the door's windows at the salvage they didn't have any scratches. I need to find that guys old thread to see how I can save the glass off the new doors I buy. Can someone assist. I searched "window scratches" & "Window pads" & just can't turn up that old thread. It's perfect for me right now....I just can't find it.

Dang it! I tried the search keys. It was a great thread just can't remember the name of it. I just bought 2 new complete doors and I want to take them apart and replace the inside pads like the guy was talking about (if I can remember right).

The glass is perfect on these doors and I want to keep it that way.

I wouldn't think the pads that hold the window solid would scratch the window up all that much. My driver's side window is completely destroyed by this mystery scratching also, but it only seems to be in the center of the window. So, I'm thinking the roller itself might be the culprit... I have a massive paint job coming up soon so I can always take a serious look into it then. Hopefully within the next couple of months.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

mine is in the same spot, on the drivers window, front passenger and rear passenger. from the sounds of my stereo, they arent firmly held in place. thanks for finding those threads texas, you may have helped save even more glass

• 2 months later...

Be aware if any of you plan to polish passenger windows. Unlike the front and rear windshield side windows are not laminated clear but instead are toughened safety glass. Safety glass works in that it is baked once shaped to create an internal pressure with a hardened shell. If you polish this layer away your window will explode. Any polishing done to this layer can severely effect it's performance against bumps and hits, especially where it exerts pressure around the edges.

Used to work in glazing and have seen quite the few blow ups lol

If you get a chance hit the corner of safety glass with a hammer for exploding goodness

In terms of glass exploding it's not a literal explosion, it just pops into tiny pieces so it can't guillotine anyone.

When I was working we had the chance to pop a 5 metre high by 3 metre wide sheet that was for disposal, biggest mess ever...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toughened_glass

I ordered 4 new outside stabilizers they call them they should be in on wednesday. I thought about just glueing on new felt but I dont have much time to have the windows out so ordered new ones to be safe. This should not happen again in my lifetime either since I keep it in the garage where the PO did not.

Archived