LegacyGT.com

Sleeping in an outback..

Garth, I'm a cheap bastard and crash in my '05 when I ski solo.

Tinted windows are a great start.

For extra privacy and a tiny amount of insulation, I picked up pair of black sheets at Target. I fold the sheets in thirds, and hang them from the tops of the plastic pillar trim pieces using binder clips from the office supply store. A 1/4" wood dowel spans the B pillar, and serves as a curtain rod just behind the front seats. The sheets are long enough to wrap around and fill this area, meeting in the middle (just like a curtain).

The back window gets a pair of pillow cases, done up in a similar manner.

The tinted windows help to conceal black sheets hanging inside your car.

An insulating mattress pad is a must if it's chilly or breezy out, because the car will transport heat away from you.

Plan on cracking the windows to allow the car to vent, limiting moisture build-up.

Interesting thread over on EpicSki you may want to check out: http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=33215

I have an 01 and was wondering if anyone has ever slept in the back? I have seen kits for trucks that cover the back...is there anything like that for our Subarus? thanks in advance..garth

sigh.. they offered an option for a tent cover thing on teh pontiac aztek.. now thats a great car

• 2 weeks later...
About a month ago I slept in the back of the XT on a thermorest pad. When I got up my back felt better than it has in years. Don't know if the half bottle of Absolut the night before had anything to do with that but I definitely slept comfortably.

About a month ago I slept in the back of the XT on a thermorest pad. When I got up my back felt better than it has in years. Don't know if the half bottle of Absolut the night before had anything to do with that but I definitely slept comfortably.

Excessive drinking and sleeping in the back of the car go hand and hand.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know if your model does it... but the newer Outbacks and Legacies have a cool trick. You can take the head rest off the front seat and it will recline until the place where the headrest would be meets the back seat... for a nice contoured bed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know if your model does it... but the newer Outbacks and Legacies have a cool trick. You can take the head rest off the front seat and it will recline until the place where the headrest would be meets the back seat... for a nice contoured bed.

I saw this when they first came out, but I think it's only over seas as I already tried it with mine.

I slept in my 98 Outback - haven't had the pleasure of sleeping in my new '08 yet :)

Definitely plan on cracking the windows. There is enough give in the seat backs when folded that a thin thermarest was all I needed to be quite comfy.

My brother camps in his Element a lot, He uses tent mesh that he picked up at a fabric store and a set of magnets to create a bug screen with the rear hatch up. Using the magnets to pin the fabric to the outside of the car creates a pretty good seal to keep the bugs out. Its a pretty cheap solution. It won't keep out heavy rains but you should be protected a little by the lift gate.

Also Kelty makes several tent/shelters that are designed to be attached to the side of your car - doesn't look like there's much that goes off the back but you could probably make something work. http://www.kelty.com

• 1 year later...
about a month ago i slept in the back of the xt on a thermorest pad. When i got up my back felt better than it has in years. Don't know if the half bottle of absolut the night before had anything to do with that but i definitely slept comfortably.

Hilarious!!

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Sleep in my XT when I go away for two day dirt bike rides. I am 5'9", use foam matress pad, sleeping bag, lay diagonally with room to spare. Opening the window or moon roof works great. Depends on the level of bugs at the site. Oh, dont forget to switch off the child locks or you'll look a little silly trying to get out in the morning.

Have also slept in the Honda element on top of both seats in the down position too. The OB is more comfortable to sleep in, but misses out on the great space of the element for a small utility vehicle. I am not giving up my extra 100HP either for the little bread truck. Wife can keep the element.

^

+1 when I have more than a week off I do the same. So good! Great in ski towns after the bar. Get a cougar or hang tight in re wagon, either way you feel like a winner.

ok so this might be dumb but i had an 05 exlporer and the interior SPACE is almost the same as my 99 bg. for a road trip one time with my friends i bought a wallmart twin size inflatable matress and it worked perfect with the back seats folded down.... now that was in an explorer so take measurments b 4 u buy cause i dont want to be held responsible for the 30 bucks for the matress lol

Archived