LegacyGT.com

Question about my son's totaled 98 legacy GT

I've been searching for about an hour to an answer for this question and can't seem to find it although I know it's probably here somewhere but I thought I would go ahead and ask, my son totaled his car Saturday he's OK thank god he had his seat belt on.

The car is obviously totaled but the engine is OK and it's a low mile motor I've found a donor car it's a 97 outback, but it's a five speed my son's GT was an auto so my question is are they compatible is the engine a direct swap they are both 2.5's.

Thanks in advance for any information!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weil he's going to be happy about that because he wants a five speed. His buddies are gonna help him install it I've been looking at the sticky's today for info to help with the swap any direction you can point me I would be very appreciative, thanks again

for the 5mt swap:

you'll need to do some moderate rewiring including adding and grounding a pin on the ECU

if these are wagons you have, you will need the driveline from a 5MT Legacy L wagon only.. nothing else will work

My son's car is a GT coupe all we need out of it is the engine the outback limited is the car with a bad engine it is the five speed.

pull both engines,

swap the flex plate for the fly wheel,

install the engine.

do not disconnect the hoses to the AC compressor.

unbolt the compressor from the block and flop it out of the way during the R&R.

if there is going to be a delay between the removal and the install,

flop it back where it belongs to reduce the stress on the hoses.

the bottom ''engine to trans'' nuts are easier to remove if the axles are removed.

but most folks don't do that.

the torque converter to flex plate bolts are easier to remove if you take the intake manifold off first.

again, most folks don't, but i do.

i then put the intake back in place , finger tight,

and use it to lift the engine out.

i would do the plugs, timing parts, water pump, and probably the plastic cover plate on the rear of the engine block , while you have it out.

timing belt

2 smooth idlers

1 toothed idler (this is the one that fails)

water pump

tensioner (or swap in the tensioner & bracket from the 97)

and any front seals that have not been done recently.

maybe the valve cover gaskets if they are old.

with all this done,

you will be set for 100k miles.

good luck.

Another question has come up the owner of the Outback Ltd. Told me the 5mt has sloppy linkage bushings is this a common thing or is he blowing smoke up my you know what? I have read here that those transmissions are not the strongest in the world. Once again thanks for any advice you guys have been great!

Another question has come up the owner of the Outback Ltd. Told me the 5mt has sloppy linkage bushings is this a common thing or is he blowing smoke up my you know what? I have read here that those transmissions are not the strongest in the world. Once again thanks for any advice you guys have been great!

By the way the 97 five speed as 185k on the clock good looking outback though.

Yeah, the bushings in the linkage are crap. The following link is to Turn In Concepts. They have a replacement linkage the will not fail any time in the future, and is better than the OEM rubber bushing linkage. Order it, and let them know exactly what car it is for so they can prep it for you.

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=357

And meh, the 5MT is pretty strong, but it still will not hold up to being driven hard all the time. Replace the linkage as soon as you can to avoid that causing any problems.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the info here, you guys are the best I think this will be an ongoing thread for a while because I will be trying to help teenagers with some mechanical ability and some equipment to do this engine swap.

It's sort of my way of teaching my son lesson. You don't text and drive, but the boy is going to need a car and I can't think of a better one for him to learn to work on then my subie. I should've took a picture of it while it was on its side leaning up against those trees kept it from rolling into a creek. But I was too concerned about my son UC it happened about a mile or two from the house and I was there before the police he is one lucky kid!

It's sort of my way of teaching my son lesson. You don't text and drive, but the boy is going to need a car and I can't think of a better one for him to learn to work on then my subie. I should've took a picture of it while it was on its side leaning up against those trees kept it from rolling into a creek. But I was too concerned about my son UC it happened about a mile or two from the house and I was there before the police he is one lucky kid!

I predict you will be bailing your son out for a long time to come.

I predict you will be bailing your son out for a long time to come.

I predict you are wrong, the only reason the police were called is because it was an accident the boy was not sighted no insurance claim will be made and he will have to work to fix his car.

Maybe you were perfect but I was not I made mistakes before there were cell phones and I can guarantee you this he will not make that mistake again.

No need to take that personally, it was just a joke. Monkey thinks he's funny, and he takes a crack at everyone on here all the time :)

I'm sorry if I took it wrong but it was not funny! Kids and texting while driving is a very serious issue and I have one who won't do it again! I'll bet the house on that.

It is, if you know how he meant it. You'll see his sense of humour once your around a while longer. He's a good guy. But, I don't disagree, and I'll also add that anyone texting and driving, or being otherwise preoccupied with something else that takes your attention of the road that much, is just as hazardous. I see people reading books and whatnot... Either way, if anything, your son having a manual transmission will keep him much more focused on what he's doing behind the wheel.

It is, if you know how he meant it. You'll see his sense of humour once your around a while longer. He's a good guy. But, I don't disagree, and I'll also add that anyone texting and driving, or being otherwise preoccupied with something else that takes your attention of the road that much, is just as hazardous. I see people reading books and whatnot... Either way, if anything, your son having a manual transmission will keep him much more focused on what he's doing behind the wheel.

Thank you for a thoughtful reply, but when someone makes light of what was nearly a family tragedy I have little respect for him. :-) replies is how he got to 4000 Post IMO. I would have to ask him if he has nothing to contribute to this thread please post somewhere else! With all due respect to those who have posted helpful responses thank you.

lol Monkey, you just need to quit while your behind buddy.

Silver, I understand, but it's the internet. Don't knock him just yet, as he can be very helpful and does contribute a lot.

Now, before this goes any further, I say we move on and get back on topic.

Archived