LegacyGT.com

RPM dependent noise....

paintpollz

• Mega Users

This I'm sure has been covered elsewhere, I just couldn't find it.

I have an aftermarket system, and I cheaped out on the wiring kit. Not SUPER cheap, but pretty cheap, and you get what you pay for:redface:.

There is a 4 channel amp in the trunk, all speakers are re-wired from the doors. So about 5 months ago I repositioned my SAT antenna to the roof to see if I could get better sound quality (didn't do shit), and when I turned the car on after putting the HU back, I go an RPM dependent hissing noise. Doesn't matter if the radio is on or off.

I cannot find where the interference is. All grounds are hooked up. Any suggestions? Drives me nuts when the radio is off.

Thanks

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Cheap wiring kits are just fine. Wire is wire (for the most part).

What kind of head unit do you have?

It's a ground loop, just gotta find the cause. Was this a problem before relocating the antenna? Did you touch any other wiring besides behind the head unit?

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• Mega Users
ground loop?

Cheap wiring kits are just fine. Wire is wire (for the most part).

What kind of head unit do you have?

It's a ground loop, just gotta find the cause. Was this a problem before relocating the antenna? Did you touch any other wiring besides behind the head unit?

It's inevitable that wires are going to be touched/moved when you pull the unit. I have a Kenwood DNX 7180, its a complete piece of shit IMO.

It's inevitable that wires are going to be touched/moved when you pull the unit.

Well yeah. I meant more along the lines of doing extra stuff with your amps or speaker wiring, etc.

Anyway, I'd pull the unit again and make sure nothing is loose to start with. While it's all apart, I'd try powering it up without the sat antenna hooked up to see if the wine goes away.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

• Mega Users
Well yeah. I meant more along the lines of doing extra stuff with your amps or speaker wiring, etc.

Anyway, I'd pull the unit again and make sure nothing is loose to start with. While it's all apart, I'd try powering it up without the sat antenna hooked up to see if the wine goes away.

Update: Unplugged SAT and noise was still there......

• Mega Users

Ya not bad so I'd need to just get two of those bad larrys and let them lay behind the dash? Jesus if I could fix this for $20?! They are like 10 bucks a piece at wally wal

jesus all this after market ish in my car makes me slightly nervous that its going to go up in flames:lol:

• I Donated Too
I got mine for under $6 each so yes, as many as you need! You could get one to use as diagnostics because if the noise is still there it's going to point to being generated on the power side to the amps themselves - Do you have a big cap on the 12v?

Bandaid. That might reduce the noise so it's not audible, but it doesn't fix the actual problem. Could potentially not work too.

Capacitor on the power cable shouldn't have anything to do with it unless it's not grounded right. Not to mention...cap on the power cable isn't going to filter noise from the signal (or anywhere else from my experience).

If there's noise without the sat antenna, you can start eliminating causes by unplugging stuff. Example: unplug the RCAs at the headunit and if there's still noise, you've eliminated the head unit as the cause. If the noise goes away, it's your head unit or something upstream of it.

Unhook one amp at a time, one speaker at a time, whatever, to narrow down the possible causes.

No, because the noise goes away without the head unit, suggesting that the HU is what introduces the noise.

How many pairs of RCAs do you have? You can try one at a time to see if it makes a difference, of if there's noise as soon as any RCA is connected.

Is there noise in every speaker with just one RCA connected?

Another bandaid that can help identify the problem is trying this:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/Dbl_D718/WireWrapping.jpg

If this fixes it, your headunit is damaged and needs repaired.

• Mega Users
No, because the noise goes away without the head unit, suggesting that the HU is what introduces the noise.

How many pairs of RCAs do you have? You can try one at a time to see if it makes a difference, of if there's noise as soon as any RCA is connected.

Is there noise in every speaker with just one RCA connected?

Another bandaid that can help identify the problem is trying this:

Ok. Thanks for the help. The HU is like a year old. There are a set of RCAs for the front and rear speakers.

Yeah I remember your install thread. Sometimes messing with RCAs without unplugging the battery first can damage the HU internally, though it's not very common unless you have a Pioneer. I damaged two Pioneers this way myself because I didn't learn my lesson the first time lol.

Otherwise, make sure the HU is grounded well.

• Mega Users
Yeah I remember your install thread. Sometimes messing with RCAs without unplugging the battery first can damage the HU internally, though it's not very common unless you have a Pioneer. I damaged two Pioneers this way myself because I didn't learn my lesson the first time lol.

Otherwise, make sure the HU is grounded well.

I'll go in and doublecheck the ground on the HU, but I'm not sure I grounded it anywhere than what the wiring harness had on it.

What about those ground loop things. You said it's just a band-aid, but isn't that all I need?

that looks like a fire hazard. i know it isn't but still... :lol:

I'll go in and doublecheck the ground on the HU, but I'm not sure I grounded it anywhere than what the wiring harness had on it.

What about those ground loop things. You said it's just a band-aid, but isn't that all I need?

Yeah typically the stock harness' ground is just fine unless it's come loose or something.

Those are a bandaid in the sense that there will still be a ground loop. They don't fix the problem, they hide it, but yeah those could reduce the noise enough to not be a problem. I've personally never used them before though so I can't say how effective they are or aren't.

that looks like a fire hazard. i know it isn't but still... :lol:

Haha yeah it's a little ghetto, but all those exposed wires are doing is grounding the RCAs to the head unit's case. They're not hot.

Archived