LegacyGT.com

Inlet Leak

paintpollz

• Mega Users

So I've been working with Chris on a few of my maps and LVs. I just put my stock airbox back in, and I pulled an LV. It showed another post turbo leak, so I hooked the boost leak tester back up.

With the boost leak test in and pumping in compressed air, there immediately showed signs of a leak. as I put my hand towards the front of the IM, I could feel air. But I couldnt identify where it was coming from. All the hoses are connected. What I did do was move the inlet hose back and fourth and the leak get better and then worse, depending on which way you moved the inlet. I'm tyring to show it in these pics.

when I push on it, it gets worse.

inlet1.thumb.jpg.6d963f392c43a7dd8e7cb78f20c1fc30.jpg

when I pull on it, it gets better, and will hold more pressure.

inlet2.thumb.jpg.cb0675f3b6ad586e7df456edf1b87ac1.jpg

this is really your biggest nightmare when it comes to vac leaks. I tried to pour water over the connections to help locate, but still no luck. clearly, its coming from underneath the IM, and I can't identify where. I feel like its either where the inlet attaches to the turbo, or the other line that connects in from the BPV. there are no loose lines, they are all connected. The turbo is stock, and there has been no turbo swap that would compromise the inlet. I feel like there has to be a crack somewhere, as when I pump compressed air in, I can push on the inlet and it gets worse, and I can pull on the inlet, and it gets better. and is the only route to pull the IM? its so frusterating that I can't find it. it doesn't help that I dont have an air compressor and I have to drive to the gas station for air. by the time I get there its hotter than hell under the hood, and that makes it difficult to find where the air is coming from.

thanks guys. please let me know if you have any suggestions.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my inlet had a "big leak" when i went in for my pdi (pre dyno inspection). i didnt believe it when they told me until i saw it for myself, so i had iag throw a new one on there for me.you could only see it if you squeezed it. it was thin like a crack. giggidy

its a common thing these dayssss

• Mega Users
my inlet had a "big leak" when i went in for my pdi (pre dyno inspection). i didnt believe it when they told me until i saw it for myself, so i had iag throw a new one on there for me.you could only see it if you squeezed it. it was thin like a crack. giggidy

its a common thing these dayssss

alllllrighhhhht.

I'm not sure how you replace one of these things with the IM on. It looks borderline suicidal.

what year is your white gurl again? chris was tellin me they reinforced the 07+ inlets. if my turbo has never been out, why the EF is this thing compromised. very unpeaceful

It's definitley a pain in the arse to replace but it can be done. Replace with a quality Silicone unit for future turbo upgrades. There A LOT easier to manuver over the turbo then OEM ones.
Slammed more than your girlfriend.

• Mega Users
shit mang, my afrs are off too, that's how I found it. That and pumping compressed air inside. usually pumping inside results in much satisfication, this time, no so much. giggity.

it's possible there's a crack, of course, though how do you know it's not a hose attaching to the inlet? flexing the inlet flexes the hose connections too, maybe it's a pcv hose that moves out of position as you push on it. 07+ inlets are reinforced so the tearing issue *shouldn't* be the problem. I had a couple pcv hoses slide off the inlet attachments when working on the backside of the manifold, they can slide off easily. like I said, the 07+ inlets are better than 05-06 so replacing with a new oem one isn't a bad idea, considering they're well under $100, and aftermarket inlets are certainly not cheap

• Mega Users
it's possible there's a crack, of course, though how do you know it's not a hose attaching to the inlet?

precisely. I want to believe its a connection. I just can find out which friggin one it is.

• Mega Users

here is where I can feel it the most, where it is circled. if I stick a finger in b/t the IM piping where the arrow is, I can feel it down there as well.

inlet2.jpg.45a6bc7d8468d6711b61652b8a2523a9.jpg

I pull on the inlet, it holds pressure, I push on the inlet, it doesnt hold pressure.

• Mega Users
lets go bro get balls deep in that thing

i know mang, i need a friggin compressed air tank at my house. I gotta find one so when I get ballz deep, i can pump compressed air in.

time to send out an email blast to the locals to see whos got one.

Get some carb cleaner spray and isolate the area with the engine running. The ver II Perrin inlet fits excellent, I recomend one over the sock unit only due to the fact it is a but more robust. Those stock inlets are delicate where they attach to the turbo.

• Mega Users
buy one, go out and buy one of those air tanks with a gauge on it, the portable ones, they're cheap. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202528456/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=air+tank&storeId=10051

fill up at gas station, go home, put your balls in it

:lol:. I cant put any more shit in my parents garage or they will decapitate me.

I'll just borrow one from someone. When I get a house, I'm gonna get a big mother compressor, and have boss air tools.

Replace with a quality Silicone unit for future turbo upgrades. There A LOT easier to manuver over the turbo then OEM ones.

They're (they are) easier to manuver how? I thought it was the tight confines that makes it so hard to install.

here is where I can feel it the most, where it is circled. if I stick a finger in b/t the IM piping where the arrow is, I can feel it down there as well.

It appears to be leaking from the inlet from somewere near the turbo. Elongating and rerouting some of those vac lines out of the way can make the job easier (and them easier to trace). MSprank did it on mine during the rebuild and I find it much easier to work on.

• Mega Users

At this point, I need to borrow a compressed air tank. that way I can park my car in the parents garage and let it sit and cool off before pumped more air to see where it is coming from.

ill be nervous jamming in a new inlet with the IM still on. Either way I think im screwed. Say I pull the inlet and there is a tear near the turbo, or a crack in the plastic near a pcv fitting. now im down an inlet, with no replacement.

best case scenario is I find the leak, and am able to fix it without pulling the IM. which mind you has not happened yet after and hour of searching, twice.

GT, whats up with the carb spray? im not sure Im getting this.

the carb spray will get sucked into the leak thus causing the idle to raise up for a second. spray it where you think the leak is and you've found it if the idle raises.

replacing the inlet isn't THAT big of an issue. just unbolt the IM and hold it up while you slide the inlet in/out, you dont ened to remove the im completely.

They're (they are) easier to manuver how? I thought it was the tight confines that makes it so hard to install.

Easier to move as its solid and much more flexible then the stock inlet. Its tight but a nice inlet should slide in without having to unbolt IM.

It appears to be leaking from the inlet from somewere near the turbo. Elongating and rerouting some of those vac lines out of the way can make the job easier (and them easier to trace). MSprank did it on mine during the rebuild and I find it much easier to work on.

Where you have circled isn't any where near the turbo location. If anything; there is a nipple on the inlet in that area that goes back to the BPV.

Carb spray works wonders, give it a shot and report back.

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

• Mega Users
the carb spray will get sucked into the leak thus causing the idle to raise up for a second. spray it where you think the leak is and you've found it if the idle raises.

replacing the inlet isn't THAT big of an issue. just unbolt the IM and hold it up while you slide the inlet in/out, you dont ened to remove the im completely.

thanks mang. I think I'm just gonna do this. replaced with a used perrin off FS. because modbug could hit home again.

anything else that I should be purchasing to do this job, like any clamps or BS like that or does everything hook right up.

The IM gaskets were replaced like 30k ago, so I think I'm good thur.

if your im gaskets were done don't worry about them. the IM bolts, the ones actually clamping the black plastic to the tgv's are torqued to only 6-10ft lbs, DO NAT OVER TIGHTEN! other than that, zip tieing whatever you can is always a good idea

Archived