LegacyGT.com

Rear Diffs

Gambit

stock clutch r180s's are weak, JDM or USDM. you are better off going for a 07+ sti or lgt spec b torsen r180. if you want a clutch rear, go aftermarket with cusco or similar.

Thanks already have the spec b torsen r180, want a 2-way and have been offered the jdm clutch type sti 2-way for a bargain of $200 in excellent condition with minimal mileage

the torsen is still better and is more performance oriented. if you want the clutch one to be good, you should buy the overhaul kit to beef up the clutch capacity for higher initial torque. look here - http://www.rallispec.com/prod_diff.htm

half way down the page is the overhaul kit.

even if you do this though, the Cusco or similar aftermarket ones are still better because they have tunable ramp angles and clutch setups.

well, remember that diffs like the cusco and carbonetic are tune-able. so you can make it behave in many different ways. the question is how do you want it to behave. do you want a linear progressive lock-up with low initial torque or do you want a faster quicker lock up with more initial torque.

Whitetigerrr

I want linear progressive. I find it hard after several good laps on a roadcourse to keep my cars line consistent. I want the car to have a consistent stable feel around fast sweeping turns, tighter line when applying the throttle on tighter turns so I don't have to lift for a second to keep the car inline. Basically I want it to be more confidence inspiring to push harder than it is right now.

I may try the factory 1.5 way offering of whatever brand I go with and go from there.

FYI, could be your center diff that needs an upgrade rather than your rear. unless you are spinning an inside rear wheel you dont necessarily need a rear clutch diff. did you do the FLSD upgrade already? if so, you may want to look at the cusco tarmac 35/65 center diff, or the PPG torsen center. with the rear getting some more bias, the front will have a better time keeping you on line.

FYI, could be your center diff that needs an upgrade rather than your rear. unless you are spinning an inside rear wheel you dont necessarily need a rear clutch diff. did you do the FLSD upgrade already? if so, you may want to look at the cusco tarmac 35/65 center diff, or the PPG torsen center. with the rear getting some more bias, the front will have a better time keeping you on line.

I had to think about this for a few days to realize what type of questions and responses I wanted to put down..... :p

Yups had the FLSD for a couple years already. So will performing a rear LSD upgrade (in conjunction w/my fLSD) yield any noticeable improvements? Would Upgrading the center diff be a better upgrade before upgrading the rear? Basically, if i do this upgrade I want my expression to be like this "Oh snap adding this diff is BADASS why didn't I do it sooner!!" not "... I don't feel a difference ... -_- "

Money IS always a factor so getting everything at once is not an option. Right now am looking at a rear lsd upgrade (its cheaper than buying a 35/65 center diff) but on the same token, I don't want to do it if it wont yield any noticeable results (lower laptimes) at the track, better/consistent lines, etc. I will most likely set the diff to a 1.5 way with a low initial torque setting. What type of handling characteristics can I expect with that?

As for the center diff upgrade, I have not found too many people that have done it to their subies (and posted about it) and for the ones that I did find, the people were on the fence if they liked the upgrade or not because it made the car more understeerish causing the people to have to modify their driving style (they said they had to almost drift it to get it to rotate). The jury is still out on this for me.

Again. TIA

the center diff will def make a bigger difference than the rear. for tarmac driving, a better biased center diff will make the car behave better.

a clutch read diff will aid in power oversteer, and traction in the case of spinning the inside rear wheel during cornering. a 1,5way and 2way will also help with braking stability or help the rear come around while braking, depending on when you do your braking. for the power aspects, a better center diff will send more power to the rear to make the rear diff work better, essentially giving the car a more RWD feel.

If its easier to get the read diff now, then go ahead. but you most likely will come to the conclusion that you want a better center to make use of it.

for me, having raced now on torsen style diffs front and rear, i can tell that the stock center VLSD diff is garbage.

yes, but for me a clutch diff would have been better in the rear, hindsight being 20/20. im 3-wheeling the car too much for the my AP-suretrac to work well.

here is a shot from my latest autox- http://autox4u.zenfolio.com/p372666112/h12073113#h12c9dc8a

a clutch diff would help keep the car accelerating in these situations.

Archived