LegacyGT.com

Mysterious coolant disappearance.

So...yeah, like the title says, I have a mysterious disappearance, or, appearance, of my coolant. My cooling system insists on peeing itself in parking lots. However, we vacuum tested it, and it was fine, we cannot find leaks, and after said parking lot urination, there is not a single wet spot on the undercarriage or motor. There is no anti freeze smell in the cabin and it's not a head gasket. But, it only empties itself on an idle. Anyone have any ideas of how/why this is happening?

12178112_978715642191815_577132486_n.jpg.13606bf47c08c2b4471b9ae3f695dc48.jpg

and when you say " the cap will be popping " what cap? radiator cap? try replacing the cap. a faulty cap that does not hold pressure will allow coolant to boil over and or overheat.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

look and see if there are bubbles in your overflow tank when car is running. if there is...HG time.

And what steps did you actually take to test the HG? the motor and the system

all need to pressurized and have a leakdown done. This can save time and money.

After your last statement.....Does your motor make any noises at idle? and rattles?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

The HG was replaced 30,000 KM ago, as well, there is no noise at idle besides the subaru tick, which I hear on every subaru at my local meet at idle. However, after further testing, it only does the extreme evacuation, when the heat is on. My new theory is, a hole in the heater core is dripping the coolant into the Evaporator drain port. As well, on a test, I did, over heat at speed. So, I'm guessing I just don't notice it at highway speed, because of air cooling keeping the last drops of coolant cold enough to not throw off the thermo.

Archived