LegacyGT.com

GT 17" Wheel Offset

outahere

No, the other 17" wheels with 48mm offset are found on Outback and 3.0R models. The 3.0R, 3.0R Ltd, and Outback 2.5XT Ltd have a different 5 spoke wheel, and the 3.0R LL Bean get's a slightly darker gray wheel. That 5 spoke 17" on the GT has a 55mm offset. The 2.5i models get the 16 x 6.5, 48mm offset

Well now, the OZ Superleggera 17x7 wheel (only 16lbs each) has an offset of 48mm, perfect for the Outback but not for the Legacy GT wagon. On the wagon these wheels will "stick out" by an additional 7mm. Hope they will still clear the fender lip.

Definitely some good reasons for a second set of stock wheels. Will be interesting to see if the other wheels to as low as +48 fit. Hopefully one of the current owners will go out to their garage and give us an approximate distance between the wheel and tire and the fender lip. :)

[quote name='gtguy']Ye gods, that's confusing... Kevin[/quote] :lol: :lol: Not really, just remember that there are three 17" wheels. The Outback and LL Bean 5 spoke are identical except for the dark gray color on the latter. The GT 5 spoke is the nice one.

If the wheels are differentied by color, they are the same wheel to me. Same as the BBS wheels on the STi's, doesn't matter if it's gold or silver, the wheel is the same except for paint. I'm sure most others see it that way as well.

Ok, I went and got some measurements. On the 2.5i, the distance from the tire to the fender is ZERO. there is absolutely no room for a wider tire, so you must use a higher offset wheel to fit a wider tire. in the rear, there is some kind of plastic covering that will touch the tire at 1 inches. not much room to play with there! it's also 1 inch, perhaps 1.2, to the front struts. measured from mounting point (half width + offset) 2.5i 205/55/16, 16x6.5, +48 130.55/34.55 [mm] 5.14/1.36 [to shock/to fender, in] so, the max you should be at with a wheel is 6.14" to the shock and 1.36 to the fender. that is still leaving an extra half inch to inch on each side of the wheel for the tire to stick out. 2.5GT 215/45/17, 17x7, +55 143.9/33.9 [mm] 5.66/1.33 [in] As you can see, the GT's wheel going towards the fender is about the same as the 2.5i. Going inwards towards that plastic piece, you use up .52 inches of the 1" of room. So you do have I'd say 8-10mm max to play with. some wheel options I came up with: 17x7.5, +57 152.25/38.25 [mm] 5.99/1.5 [in], to the strut/to the fender this might be ok. 17x8.0, +55 155.6/47.6 6.12/1.87 some possible fender rolling. however, you can always mount a narrow tire on a wide rim, such as 215/45/17.

[quote name='outahere']Question for you lucky Legacy GT owners out there. What is the offset for the 17" wheel? The number is often cast into the wheel.[/quote] Am not too sure abt the offset (neber checked) but need customed spacers to clear brembo....think my customed spacer is abt 16mm Cheers! EA

[quote name='7stars']Ok, I went and got some measurements. On the 2.5i, the distance from the tire to the fender is ZERO. there is absolutely no room for a wider tire, so you must use a higher offset wheel to fit a wider tire. in the rear, there is some kind of plastic covering that will touch the tire at 1 inches. not much room to play with there! it's also 1 inch, perhaps 1.2, to the front struts. measured from mounting point (half width + offset) 2.5i 205/55/16, 16x6.5, +48 130.55/34.55 [mm] 5.14/1.36 [to shock/to fender, in] so, the max you should be at with a wheel is 6.14" to the shock and 1.36 to the fender. that is still leaving an extra half inch to inch on each side of the wheel for the tire to stick out. 2.5GT 215/45/17, 17x7, +55 143.9/33.9 [mm] 5.66/1.33 [in] As you can see, the GT's wheel going towards the fender is about the same as the 2.5i. Going inwards towards that plastic piece, you use up .52 inches of the 1" of room. So you do have I'd say 8-10mm max to play with. some wheel options I came up with: 17x7.5, +57 152.25/38.25 [mm] 5.99/1.5 [in], to the strut/to the fender this might be ok. 17x8.0, +55 155.6/47.6 6.12/1.87 some possible fender rolling. however, you can always mount a narrow tire on a wide rim, such as 215/45/17.[/quote] Thanks for taking the time to do the measurements. Do you think a stock size 215/45x17 tire on a 17x7 wheel with 48mm offset (instead of 55mm) is going to fit well on the GT wagon and sedan, or will it rub the lip when the suspension is compressed? Or is it too close to call?

[quote name='outahere']Thanks for taking the time to do the measurements. Do you think a stock size 215/45x17 tire on a 17x7 wheel with 48mm offset (instead of 55mm) is going to fit well on the GT wagon and sedan, or will it rub the lip when the suspension is compressed? Or is it too close to call?[/quote] I think it would fit, as the sidewall of a 215 on a 7" wide wheel should be pretty straight with no bulging.

• 1 month later...
Now, to throw another variable into the mix... Fender flares. Are the outback fender flares stamped into the steel of the fenders, or are they extensions bolted/adhered on? If they are stamped in, I would think that it would give a bit more room for less offset on a wider wheel. (wider track, if the scrub center will handle it.) I am thinking of something in an 18x7.5-8, with a 48-53mm offset, like most modern and FWD wheels. The thing is, if they are stamped in, the rear fenders might be an issue. It'd be a nice trick, though. it would require outback bumpers, or a body kit like the Audi-esqe one that is set up for such fenders. I think that would open up a few more fitment options. Too bad the pattern isn't 5 on 114. I am not sure how many other cars run on 5 on 100, with such a high offset.

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry to bring this up again, but this offset topic still has me a little confused. If the stock wheel has 53mm offset, any wheel with 48mm offset should work in it's place, assuming the same size wheel. The effect is a wider wheel base along with some other geometry with the wheel centerline and suspension angle intersection. Am I correct? With a 17x7.5 wheel, a 48mm would help balance out the wider wheel. So would any 17x7.5 +48, work with the GT sedan?

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']Now, to throw another variable into the mix... Fender flares. Are the outback fender flares stamped into the steel of the fenders, or are they extensions bolted/adhered on? If they are stamped in, I would think that it would give a bit more room for less offset on a wider wheel. (wider track, if the scrub center will handle it.) I am thinking of something in an 18x7.5-8, with a 48-53mm offset, like most modern and FWD wheels. The thing is, if they are stamped in, the rear fenders might be an issue. It'd be a nice trick, though. it would require outback bumpers, or a body kit like the Audi-esqe one that is set up for such fenders. I think that would open up a few more fitment options. Too bad the pattern isn't 5 on 114. I am not sure how many other cars run on 5 on 100, with such a high offset.[/quote] Plastic extentions.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='IwannaSportSedan']Now, to throw another variable into the mix... Fender flares. Are the outback fender flares stamped into the steel of the fenders, or are they extensions bolted/adhered on? If they are stamped in, I would think that it would give a bit more room for less offset on a wider wheel. (wider track, if the scrub center will handle it.) I am thinking of something in an 18x7.5-8, with a 48-53mm offset, like most modern and FWD wheels. The thing is, if they are stamped in, the rear fenders might be an issue. It'd be a nice trick, though. it would require outback bumpers, or a body kit like the Audi-esqe one that is set up for such fenders. I think that would open up a few more fitment options. Too bad the pattern isn't 5 on 114. I am not sure how many other cars run on 5 on 100, with such a high offset.[/quote] Plastic extentions.[/quote] Front or rear? Or both?

Archived