LegacyGT.com

crankshaft nut issue

i cant get the crankshaft bolt off, its not a 5spd, im gonna get a ratchet strap and wrap it a couple time and hook it to the frame and then try taking the bolt off. any other ways to take it off or is this like the only way? i cant get a chain wrench.

97 subie legacy 2.5 DOHC

three ways.

1) Remove inspection cover of housing, (Black plastic, a rounded tiangular shape). It's hidden under the hoses on the passenger side. This will allow access to flex plate. Rotate crank until a large opening appears. Put in large screwdriver to stop rotation and make sure it's not forcing something that will break.

2) Place the breaker bar on a section of frame or, so that it hits the ground and bump the starter. Works everytime.

3) Learn to use the search function.

O.

^this

lol thanks i put a breaker bar on it and cranked it over and got it off/ now i did something stupid and not sure if its causing this problem now but let me know if u know. at first tried with a breaker bar on the crank and intake cam so idk if it broke anything but it didnt work so i stopped trying that was lol. i replaced the belt yadda and put it all back together and i checked it over and made sure all the timing marks were perfect!! it cranks but wont start. did i **** it up or could it be something else? it doesnt even fire. but it sparks and has gas.

Potentially a dumb question but did you use the correct timing marks? There are arrows and there are notches, the notches are the timing marks that need to be lined up vertically and with the white lines on the belt. (almost made that mistake myself when I did it recently)

Potentially a dumb question but did you use the correct timing marks? There are arrows and there are notches, the notches are the timing marks that need to be lined up vertically and with the white lines on the belt. (almost made that mistake myself when I did it recently)

yes i have a book and i followed the directions and it turned out perfect and i made sure it did. all the marks were dead on.

now the car should start with just the timing belt on, no timing cover orvv radiator or powersteering or alt correct? because i just wanted to test and make sure the car ran good (not for long because no coolant) but it wouldnt start and still after putting it all back together and looking it all over twice i still dont see what it could be.

also normally when a car turns over the rpm gauge moves, when i turn the car over the gauge doesnt move

+^

Something is unplugged. Double check all.

Make sure the air hoses that are next to the TB are connected.One goes to the air box. These when unplugged will cause the no start condition you describe also.

BTW Welcome!

O.

Yeah, my bad. I keep saying distributor instead of coil pack.. I even screwed that up in my first response as well.

Yes I have checked all the hoses and wires the hoses are in and the coil is plugged in. I'm currently cleaning the crank pos sensor. It was a lik dirty. But it worked b4. Now just to make sure I mentioned it. It doesn't fire at all. It seriously just turns. I believe it's getting gas an spark once again I wil check to make sure. Thanks

if you have spark and gas then the coil is plugged in and the cam and crank sensors are at least connected if not working correctly.

i would check the timing marks, especially if this is your first time.

not the arrows.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/timingbeltdiagramej25.gif

Archived