LegacyGT.com

Tokico Adjustable Shocks/Struts install

rossodave

I recently purchased a set of the Tokico adjustable shocks/struts from JSC speed. I have to say Kyle is one of the best vendors I have ever dealt with. These dampers were imported from Japan by Tokico. They are designed to work with the JDM/USDM SpecB tophats. I read how some people have installed these with the stock tophats and some have installed them with the JDM/USDM-SpecB tophats. I decided to try both types of tophats on my car to see for sure which is best. The rear shocks are the same between the Japanese/USDM-SpecB/USDM LGT.

The install using the stock USDM LGT tophats is a pain. It becomes apparent fairly quickly that these struts are not designed to be used with these tophats. They DO NOT fit correctly. I wouldn’t leave them installed on these tophats for very long. The problem is that the stock tophat needs to have a spacer between it and the upper spring seat (rubber part). If this spacer is missing the tophat will not be able to spin freely when you turn the wheel. It will turn the upper spring seat and the spring with it (not a good thing!). If this spacer is installed however, the bearing inside the tophat will not fit tightly against the shaft of the strut. It will sit a little higher and actually rub against the threads for the strut top nut. This is why no one is able to fully tighten the strut top nut when these are installed on the stock tophats. Thus, the bearing can and will rub against the threads on the end of the strut shaft. Again this is not good.

I tried using a thin washer for a spacer, but it is still too fat and will not allow the top hat bearing to fit tightly against the shaft. I drove the car like this for a couple days before I replaced the stock USDM LGT tophats with the JDM/USDM SpecB tophats. When I removed the tophats from the struts I could already see evidence of the bearing rubbing against the threads on the end of the strut shaft!

I then installed the struts with the JDM/USDM SpecB tophats. This install was a breeze. The tophats and struts go together like they were made for each other (because they were). The design of these tophats is such that it doesn’t require a spacer between it and the upper spring seat. The strut top nut is easily torqued all the way down like it was designed to be.

The only problem with using the JDM/USDM SpecB tophats is that it will raise the front end exactly one half inch. This means that if you have USDM LGT designed springs your car will not sit level. If you have JDM/USDM SpecB specific springs your car will sit level. I happen to have a set of JDM Tein S-techs so I will leave the car as is for now.

As far as how the struts function I have to say I really like them. They are pretty much exactly what I wanted in an aftermarket damper. I have them set on full hard and this seems to be an ideal setting for the S-techs. I don’t want them any stiffer or any softer. It would be nice to have some more adjustability though. I am very pleased and for the foreseeable future I will probably stick with this setup.

I just wanted to put all of this info together in one spot to clear up any confusion there may be out there about these struts. I would also like to stress that I do not think anyone should use these with the stock USDM LGT tophats!

1061610211_StockStrutcopy.jpg.67a587c265c0c70df213eb28e5ac90e7.jpg

1156621156_TokicoStrut.jpg.537b97e80abb320e0f3e019ea67f67e9.jpg

1126327619_TokicoBoxwebsize.jpg.37f274e00b5d3f39ddea97f213b754b6.jpg

632950774_strutsoverviewwebsize.jpg.5634f47f095bf4091de56bc2cf0f73f5.jpg

1103541576_stocktophatwebsize.jpg.3dcbb02098c3be78caa2dad4d360feab.jpg

2120968229_specbtophatwebsize.jpg.697b2e38492689c27961348f49df2221.jpg

Love the performance! This is how the car should have handled from the factory! Just the right amount of damping at the highest setting with the s-techs.

Acceleration squat is gone. Annoying bounce over large bumps is gone. My car now rides Better than before! They are excellent when pushed hard. Corners with dips or bumps in the middle are no longer a problem as these keep the car buckled down to the road. I no longer have to wince before I hit a large bump in the road!

I don't autocross so I can't say how good they are for that, but for spirited street driving they rock!

JDM tophats can be had for ~$100.

I just don't want to have to fork out over $200 for FRONT springs to get the car back to proper height (that's what iON wants)...

Sell the Ions and get a set of Teins for less than 200. That is if there is no difference between USDM and JDM Teins. I suspect that there isn't.

So 600 for the Struts 90 for the tophats and 400 for the springs. Its not much cheaper then the Bilsteins:(

Yes, but for that price you would only have the Bilsteins which are not adjustable and you would have the stock springs so it would kind of defeat the purpose. This is still a cheaper way to go. Although it is comparable to buying a cheaper set of coil overs.

And you'll still need tophats & springs...

I really like the ride with the iONs, which is why I chose them in the first place. I'm hoping Tokico will make this right (and it sounds like they may be, although it would be nice to hear it from them) by replacing the front struts for those of us that bought them....

And you'll still need tophats & springs...

I really like the ride with the iONs, which is why I chose them in the first place. I'm hoping Tokico will make this right (and it sounds like they may be, although it would be nice to hear it from them) by replacing the front struts for those of us that bought them....

That would be nice. My car sits level with the springs I have, but I really liked the looks with the front a half inch lower than the rear.

So, if you put JDM pinks in there, up front it will be about 15mm lower with the correct Bilestein tops. But will the ride height in the back be affected by using USDM tops? Is the 1/2" difference in ride height from the different top hats only in the front? I want the ride height to be level, but I also want to stick to the 15mm drop from the pinks.

How is your ride height relative to stock? Your description of the performance is exactly what I'm after though it makes me a bit nervous that you've got them on full. I'd probably never put in stiffer springs that yours though. You have s-techs all around?

Thanks.

Archived