LegacyGT.com

Head gasket issues?

Vincenzo

We've had 3 Outbacks, '97, '98, 2001, all of which have had head gasket leak problems. We are looking to buy a another Legacy or Outback, in the 2003-2006 range. I have heard that the head gasket issue was eventually solved, but I am wondering what model year that happened. I see that in Consumer Reports both Legacy and Outback are rated "much worse than average" in Engine category all the way up through 2007. Is that due to the head gasket issue?

Thanks

The worse then average are turbo owners with poor maintence. For instance the average owner wouldn't know to remove banjo bolts filter or the cat in the up-pipe and when the turbo gt's get up in mileage they tend to burn oil which people don't often check nowadays it starves the turbo and it blows up.

The head gasket issue is much much better in the 2000's and I've have read very few cases of head gaskets (like maybe 1) involving a 4th gen (2005+)

I would spring for the 4th gen it's a much more refined car then the 3rd. The non turbos are fantastically reliable as well

The worse then average are turbo owners with poor maintence. For instance the average owner wouldn't know to remove banjo bolts filter or the cat in the up-pipe and when the turbo gt's get up in mileage they tend to burn oil which people don't often check nowadays it starves the turbo and it blows up.

The head gasket issue is much much better in the 2000's and I've have read very few cases of head gaskets (like maybe 1 as a result of bad engine tuning) involving a 4th gen (2005+)

I would spring for the 4th gen it's a much more refined car then the 3rd. The non turbos are fantastically reliable as well

Archived