LegacyGT.com

Swap problems?

I have a bit of a mutt project going on right now. 05 lgt and I decided to not do my research when I got started. Current parts: 08 sti 6 speed, 07 r180 + axles and axles swaps.

What I don't know is what year sti driveline I need. I'd assume it was an 08+ driveline, but I don't want to buy it and not have it work.

From post 123,

Look at this pic. again,

http://www.thrashdriveshaft.com/Imag...ion%202009.JPG

Measurement from the rear diff. flange to the center of the carrier bearing bolt ( 36.12" ). Then measure center of the carrier bearing bolt to the end of the tail shaft housing is (24.12") of the 6MT. You want 2" to 3" of the slide yoke inside the tail shaft.

36.12+24.12=60" ,The 60"is from the outside of the rear diff. flange to the outside of the tail shaft housing. The rest of the length of the drive shaft is going into the tail shaft. If your total length is around 63". That means you have 3" of penetration in the tail shaft housing. With out penetration your car goes nowhere & the drive shaft falls to the ground.

Mike

You need to do a little work. Click on link http://www.thrashdriveshaft.com/Imag...ion%202009.JPG & measure your 08 drive shaft like the pic in the link. Unless the 08 STi wheel base (front to rear) been lengthen about 5". The drive shaft will not work. The 05 STi is about 5" short wheel base then the 05 LGT.

Need total length is around 62.5"-63". Measurement from the rear diff. flange mount of the drive shaft, to the center of the carrier bearing bolt hole ( 36.12" ). Then measure(24.12") from center of the carrier bearing bolt hole to the slide yoke. The measurement should fall on the slide part of the yoke & leave you 2"-3" of the slide yoke left over to slide inside the tail shaft. This will tell you if you have the right over all length, carrier bearing is in the right place to bolt up to the body of the car & enough slide yoke penetration in the tail shaft housing.

Rear & front axles answered here post 1. STi wheel hubs are different then LGT's. So STi front & rear axle wont work.

Recipe A - 3.90 rear diff

Transmission options: 04/05 STI*, or 08/09 Spec B

Rear diff options: 04/05 STI, possibly 07-09 Legacy GT R160** Any R180 (STi or 07-09 or Spec.B)rear diff. with matching final drive gears to the 6MT can be used.

Rear axles: 07-09 Spec B (axles 28421AG03B, axle seals 806732200)

Front axles: Regular LGT***

Driveshaft: use a Spec B driveshaft, and replace the differential's input flange with the R160 flange.

(The Spec B R180 has an R160 input yoke, but is only available in 3.54:1.)

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

• 2 weeks later...
Still not quite what I'm looking for. I am swapping the r180 into the lgt, I have the conversion axles from suberdave. What I can't find, is what year driveline to use. I can't figure out anybody who has used an 08 sti6, with an r180 IN a 05 lgt. The 08 sti6 has a 3.54 final drive, the 07+r180 has the drive I want.

Archived