LegacyGT.com

Where to get brakes?

I've seen lots of sales and combo specials on brakes for our GT brethren, but hardly any performance shops stock brake parts for our cars.

Most recently FBP has had poor follow up on a price for Centric Premium rotors and Stoptech Street Performance pads. They have a crazy good sale on GT pads now, but don't list any 2.5i parts on their site.

Even pulling the PN off Centrics site seems to be a hassle. They list the standard rotors and the Premium Cryogenic, but not the regular Premium rotors?

So what do members here run and where is the best place to buy? I'd like to support a vendor or local if I can an would like a painted or e-coated rotor like the Centric Premium and a set of pads that will offer better bite and control over stock.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I like KNSBrakes when it comes to brakes. They are good people.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So what do members here run and where is the best place to buy? I'd like to support a vendor or local if I can an would like a painted or e-coated rotor like the Centric Premium and a set of pads that will offer better bite and control over stock.

Well if you dont go the vendor route I run Duralast GOLD Ceramic pad on all four corners with stock rotors. I haven't had an issue since no squeaks and stopping from high speed isn't scary ;)

Yeah....... Duralast aka Autozone if youre stock power wise you dont need a fancy brake setup but i would switch the braided lines they help when squirrels run out in front of you and your girlfirend won't let you run over them so you have to stop, situations :lol:

I talked with KNS and I might get from them. They're prices seemed slightly higher than average though. Amazon and rockauto were less expensive for the same parts. If I can't get locally I'll likely give them a shot though.

I'm stock power and not planning on doing anything crazy but I do live in an area with lots of backroads, twists, turns and hills so I would like to try something a bit more performance orientated. I like the idea of coated or painted rotors as they rust like crazy with all the salt here :-(.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

kind of like GEE-OTTO mentioned, the 2.5i brake setup isn't really performance oriented so alot of the aftermarket vendors don't really carry anything special to support it.

i will agree the oem pads suck though, i replaced mine with akebono pads which give about the same performance as stock but dont' leave uneven deposits. the duralast gold GEE-OTTO mentioned might be a better choice.

for some other brake options you could also pm magnetic1 on here, he's a brake vendor.

What is needed to switch to GT brakes? I see someone in the 4th gen selling rotors, pads and calipers for $400. What else is needed?

I normally get my break work done on a car at Midas.

Is there anything wrong with doing that on a subaru legacy?

Brakes are easy to install, especially if you're just changing pads and rotors. Bleeding really isn't that hard either as long as you have 2 people. Any trained money could swap brakes so I'm sure your local midas would be fine... if you want cheap parts and same as or worse than OEM performance. But the rest of us want brakes that, well... stop the car! :eek:

Anyone tired the Hawk Brake Pads for our 2.5i?

I'm not sure. It seems to me though that lots of people find the Stoptech pads to be better and since they're cheaper I'm inclined to try them over the Hawk HPS pads. Unless someone chimes in here and tells me they tried both Stoptech and Hawk on the 2.5i and the Hawk are way better I think I'll save the $40-50 difference.

magnetic1 recommended Performance Friction Z-rated pads to me. I haven't been able to find much information about them and he hasn't gotten back to me on price yet.

They have Stoptech pads for the 2.5i??

Yep, listed on Centrics website and KNS sells a package deal, Centric Premium Rotors and Stoptech Street Performance Pads. They also have a package with Hawk HPS pads for a bit more.

I think I'm probably going to go this route since the local tuning shop quoted me a higher price for the same items and rock auto wants $105 to ship. I haven't really found many other places that sell the same items, or at least both rotors and pads.

Just get Hawk HPS all around. And bed them in properly. Nice linear feel, even in cold weather.
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I'm running carbotech bobcat front pads with hawk hps rears, quite happy with the setup - the fronts do dust more than the rear as well as compared to stock. Purchased from magnetic1, aka brakeswap.com.

Also running Techna-Fit brake lines from RavSpec.

I've read quite a few people post saying Stoptech has better feel than HPS and dust less but idk if the pads are different for Legacy size.

I always thought it would be best to run the same setup front and rear, but I see quite a few people run different setups front and rear. What is the allure in this?

Magnetic1 recommended Performance Friction Z-Rated up front and Hawk HPS rear btw.

I'm probably going to run Stoptech pads in my Brembos. I've heard nothing but great things about them as a daily-driver pad.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I've read quite a few people post saying Stoptech has better feel than HPS and dust less but idk if the pads are different for Legacy size.

I always thought it would be best to run the same setup front and rear, but I see quite a few people run different setups front and rear. What is the allure in this?

Magnetic1 recommended Performance Friction Z-Rated up front and Hawk HPS rear btw.

Your rears do a minority of the work the MAJORITY of the time no need to waste big $$$ on the rears. You will see many guys run high end pads up front and stock in the rear. IF you get a good deal on both axles then take it but I wouldnt go spend $$$ on the rears

Yep, listed on Centrics website and KNS sells a package deal, Centric Premium Rotors and Stoptech Street Performance Pads. They also have a package with Hawk HPS pads for a bit more.

I think I'm probably going to go this route since the local tuning shop quoted me a higher price for the same items and rock auto wants $105 to ship. I haven't really found many other places that sell the same items, or at least both rotors and pads.

I've been running centric premium cryotech(i know, all they had and mine were shot) up front and I havn't had any issues with them so far.

Still on stock pads until they crap out on me. But will go over to stop techs after that.

I'm running carbotech bobcat front pads with hawk hps rears, quite happy with the setup - the fronts do dust more than the rear as well as compared to stock. Purchased from magnetic1, aka brakeswap.com.

Also running Techna-Fit brake lines from RavSpec.

How much did the SS brake lines improve pedal feel? I am going to be swapping to 04 WRX Brakes on my 96 W/ H6 Rear. Was thinking I will get some SS brake lines while I was down there.

How much did the SS brake lines improve pedal feel? I am going to be swapping to 04 WRX Brakes on my 96 W/ H6 Rear. Was thinking I will get some SS brake lines while I was down there.

It wasn't night and day, but it was a noticeable improvement.

Fresh brake fluid helps too.

Archived