LegacyGT.com

Legacy 5MT tranny help

bsax14

I have recently noticed an odd noise coming from my tranny, shortly after i upgraded the clutch to an exedy stage 2, and completed the STI swap.

I hear a weird clanking noise which sounds like a chipped tooth. All of the gears shift fine, and it seems to drive ok. This noise comes when the clutch is engaged or while cruising on the throttle in any gear. Much worse when on the throttle in gear though.

Any input? or guesses? I spoke with one of the techs @ Andrewtech and they seconded the idea of a chipped tooth.

Being right around 300WHP, and would like to keep this as my daily driver, what do you suggest as far as a fix?

I really do like to 5spd and canceled out the idea of the 6MT STI swap, and knowing the RA gear sets aren't really any stronger than stock, i guess PPG 1-4 with a stock 5th is the best option? what about a new stock tranny?

Might just be the clutch "chattering"... my ACT clutch makes that noise, as do many other ACT owners' clutches.

If it's really a "clanking" metal-to-metal noise then it might be something else, for sure... I'd start by looking at the clutch, rather than gears/tranny.

just had the clutch replaced 1,000 miles ago with all new exedy stg 2 and a brand new flywheel. I have never had this kind of noise happen at all until the other day. any other input is greatly appreciated

Might just be the clutch "chattering"... my ACT clutch makes that noise, as do many other ACT owners' clutches.

If it's really a "clanking" metal-to-metal noise then it might be something else, for sure... I'd start by looking at the clutch, rather than gears/tranny.

my buddy fixes VW and he got a 94' jetta from a hillbilly that hadn't had the clutch put on properly by another hillbilly who couldn't figure out how to work on foreign cars properly. they thought the engine was shot so the traded the car for an xbox. lol:)

took apart tranny...found that the center diff viscous coupler ring popped off and my rear output shaft was all trashed....so i will replace the center diff and the two bearings as well as the output shaft...

Archived